Derok

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What body texture did you use, was it Bethesda's? How I got rid of the seams and or abrupt transitions on the argonian leg was I welded it together with the body then smoothed joint and surrounding are before breaking it. I don't know how zbrush works but I can do it if you'd like.

Fixing the tail with the body it's a bad idea. That's all. We would break uv maps, and the result won't be good. Think about the riding or the sitting animation for example. Results would be quite weird and unpredictable. If we make just new seamless textures and normal maps in the area where the tail meets the body, the tail will not look a stick anymore. After all, I don't understand why you want to make the base of the tail so huge, completely absorbing the butt. Argonians are not dinosaurs. The tail and the legs should be proportioned to the mass of their bodies and their upright posture.

Uh I never mentioned dinosaurs. Lots of animals don't have segmented butt cheeks, like fish, birds, snakes, amphibians, lizards, and Morrowind's argonians. I gave it some thought and although there should be no real effect if the tail was cut off further down a bit, the base transition area needs to be part of the body to avoid clipping. It's the only way- the armour needs to be skinned to it as it swings back and forth.

Let me break this down for you since you didn't understand my post:

Cloth is ductile, if there is some cloth around the tail and the tail swings- the cloth should move with it

Steel (or whatever daedric is made out of) is hard- it would restrict the movement of the tail where the opening is, because an argonian's tail does not bend steel as it swings back and forth

try and imagine putting your hand in a sock and opening you hand- it would deform, but if it was a steel sock nothing would happen.

That's how bodies are skinned, and the base of the tail is the same.

What body texture did you use, was it Bethesda's? How I got rid of the seams and or abrupt transitions on the argonian leg was I welded it together with the body then smoothed joint and surrounding are before breaking it. I don't know how zbrush works but I can do it if you'd like.

It's a heavily modified CBBE. After the initial editing I had to line up the body to the feet, going polygon by polygon. Then I used the texture to Zproject sections of it onto the seam where the body meets the feet, to smooth it out. The main problem is the texture itself, keeping the strands of fur in line, rather than the topology. I can get it mostly hidden, but since it's fur, I suspect that the hardest part will be making the normal map congenial to the body's. One thing at a time, though.

Sent the body with a slightly modified texture to Derok, and am awaiting his reply/criticism. Not sure how it'll turn out until I'm told, since my knowledge ends at shape and color. :confused:

As usual though, Bilo, PM any questions or requests for information or files, and they'll be yours as soon as you want them and as fast as I can make them.

Also, throwing my opinion in on the merged tail, I don't really care one way or another, but if merging the tails is to involve me at all, you must know three things.

1. The original UV map will be utterly destroyed.

2. The models must be repainted from either shoddy texture projection or from scratch.

3. It will increase the production time on the bodies, thanks to the often unreliable topology features of the Zspheres.

But again, I don't care. Just inform me with what to sculpt/draw/edit/merge/create once (and if) some agreement is made. However, the way I see it...

Feet > Tails/bodies.

One thing at a time.

And as for the rump, Furrywolf... what can know but time? Time rules all things. Mountains may turn to deserts, valleys to hills, a lovely round bum to a hag's sad sag. We shall see. :psyduck:

It's a heavily modified CBBE. After the initial editing I had to line up the body to the feet, going polygon by polygon. Then I used the texture to Zproject sections of it onto the seam where the body meets the feet, to smooth it out. The main problem is the texture itself, keeping the strands of fur in line, rather than the topology. I can get it mostly hidden, but since it's fur, I suspect that the hardest part will be making the normal map congenial to the body's. One thing at a time, though.

Sent the body with a slightly modified texture to Derok, and am awaiting his reply/criticism. Not sure how it'll turn out until I'm told, since my knowledge ends at shape and color. :confused:

As usual though, Bilo, PM any questions or requests for information or files, and they'll be yours as soon as you want them and as fast as I can make them.

Also, throwing my opinion in on the merged tail, I don't really care one way or another, but if merging the tails is to involve me at all, you must know three things.

1. The original UV map will be utterly destroyed.

2. The models must be repainted from either shoddy texture projection or from scratch.

3. It will increase the production time on the bodies, thanks to the often unreliable topology features of the Zspheres.

But again, I don't care. Just inform me with what to sculpt/draw/edit/merge/create once (and if) some agreement is made. However, the way I see it...

Feet > Tails/bodies.

One thing at a time.

And as for the rump, Furrywolf... what can know but time? Time rules all things. Mountains may turn to deserts, valleys to hills, a lovely round bum to a hag's sad sag. We shall see. :psyduck:

Oh right, I thought you were talking about the mesh. Hmm I thought you'd be pretty good with that since you can paint across meshes in 3D. Blender 2.5 had some really good tools for 3d painting, but 2.49, not so much. Zbrush must have some nice tools since from what I remember, you texture entirely within it? While I was texturing Khajiit a long long time ago, in photoshop, I found that using the clone stamp tool at 80% opacity had satisfactory results. Sure it's a little less "HD Clarity", but it wasn't noticeable for me. So yea I admire what you're doing but if you can't, don't worry about the sharpness too much, it's a worthwhile tradeoff for blending more smoothly and it's only a small area.

Yea the normal map might be a bigger problem, it should basically need to be rebaked if you don't want a small flat spot at the seams. I can do that but photoshop is not aware of where the seams are and will mess them up, so I'll then have to use Blender 2.49's(basic) tools to repaint the seams, but obviously it won't match up to the diffuse texture anymore.

Buuuuuut I'm sure Zbrush should be very well equipped for this, I think one of it's primary purposes is baking normal maps from extremely high polygon detailed meshes. So like you could sculpt in every line of fur and transfer it to the normal map.

About the bodies, that's fine. I didn't mean to say do it now, just before clothing and armour or they'll have to be redone.