Ability to search comments

Kajana

Since many bugs or problems and fixes are discussed in the comments it might help someone looking for an answer to a question to be able to search the comments section to find if their particular issue has already come up. Instead of having to manually flip through pages of unrelated comments. It may save modders having to answer the same questions over and over. Just a thought.

• 9 years later...

I'm glad this was addressed in the Nexus feedback section on the forum a decade ago, but disappointed there have been no improvements.

Nexus has grown a lot since 2013. There are millions of players perpetually configuring and troubleshooting mods.

A better searchable comments system would go a LONG way on the top modding site on the internet. I'd say it's long overdue.

I have been using Nexus for a decade and I did not even know that the forum thread is always a duplicate of the comments. I just learned now. I always assumed the forum was separate; a legacy feature that goes mostly unused, or something like that.

This is because clicking the Forum Thread button shows you the oldest comments first, usually containing outdated information. Conversely, newest comments are displayed first on the main site.

The page numbers don't line up between forum and comments either.

I would not have guessed that every comment I leave is actually making a forum post. The system is esoteric to me and users like me.

Tangentially:

It's notable that the UX is less smooth on the forum. Each "comment" ("reply"?) takes up a lot of space on screen and is cluttered by buttons. I generally dislike using forums for this reason.

(I know, I know, "zoomer moment" - I am too young to have nostalgia for back when forums were cool.)

I have never really needed more than the reply, report, and edit buttons, anyway. (We could use a "get link" button though.)

I frankly do not care about someone's quirky forum sig when I am troubleshooting. Or their post count. Or multiquote button. Or "back to top" button. Or post ID. Or a list of post IDs they are replying to.

All this is mostly to say, users should not be required to use the forum to access a feature as essential as comment searching.

In one example, a 1300 page comments section becomes an 1800 page forum thread. Navigating the forum requires more page loads than navigating the forums, just to get the same amount info.

It's especially inconvenient for those who are stuck with slow internet speeds, myself included.

So when the user does figure out that they can search comments on the forum, they will still need to page through relatively slowly.

Most importantly, the search functionality is hidden behind a link, making every user take an extra step every time they need to search. Probably saves a bit of load on the server. But terrible for the end user.

I suggest a modern search bar should be implemented for comments. One that is easily spotted and doesn't require loading a new page to get results.

I would settle for displaying more comments on a single page. Just being able to click a little "50" or "200" at the bottom of the page (or having that be configurable in user prefs) so I can Ctrl+F better would be a huge improvement on the current process.

fix plz. <3