Is Bigger Better?

Adipose

In the past I complained that I had little use for really big personal homes, castles, etc. This was because my crew usually consisted of my toon and a companion and I felt overwhelmed as I rattled around in a place that was many times too large.

THEN, along came NMM, and the mod that enables us to concentrate all our companions in one place. FANTASTIC!! Now I got Lakeview Manor and it's full of crumpet. Trouble is, Lakeview is now short on room and bed space. I never thought I'd say that but there it is.

Soo, I downloaded the Underhall, and found that I'm back to too much room...but not in all places. At least there're enough beds and I'm about to move everyone down there...with the exception of the spouse and kids. That is, I'm seriously considering making the move. I assume that the mod isn't bard friendly and I like the variety that comes with having him around...even though he only knows two songs. BTW, is there a mod that gives him extra songs to sing?

Anyway, I'll likely give it a go to find out how it works.

I myself am a bit weird with house mods, i have tons of em but i do not use them all at once, i will use certain ones depending on the roleplay or if it fits a certain type of character i am playing, maybe use a couple for 1 character at a time, this includes small little cottages and huge house mods or even player owned castle mods. can never have enough for different things...or if you just get board of one and move to another, even if you are carrying a couple thousand pounds and have to huff it back lol ( a pain since i don't fast travel and it's disabled and refuse to use tgm for this purpose even ).

P.S. i forgot to mention that i do tend to add npc's and family in my houses, thanks to UFO mod and a bunch of follower mods ( i.e. Vilya as one mod )

Well I was going to suggest Bathing beauties or Beefcake Luxury Suite by Migal130 as a place to dump your crumpet, it has a bar, a pool, a garden with views, plenty of beds and a couple of nice addons, but it is rated as adult content.

I've personally just stuck to vanilla houses. I particularly like Severin Manor in the Dragonborn DLC, because it is adequately sized and looks like a stronghold for your own personal little army. :smile:

Edited by billyro

I second the motion for " bathing beauties" - Its BIG, and its beautiful to boot, and there is a BAR. Plus it has a Pool and its close to Whiterun. Down in the basement is a great workshop .

As for Adult...who doesn't need a bath, after a hard day slaughtering dragons?

I've personally just stuck to vanilla houses. I particularly like Severin Manor in the Dragonborn DLC, because it is adequately sized and looks like a stronghold for your own personal little army. :smile:

Same here. I respect the efforts of the house modders, but I find the vanilla homes to be quite suitable.

My only issue with vanilla houses is that I'm big on collecting weapons and armour. So I just add mannequins and weapon racks myself. I like having them scattered around the house as decoration, not in a single "trophy room". I would love to see a mod with a museum that you get to furnish. *hint hint*

As for modded houses, I like Riverside Lodge. Nice, lore-friendly and simple. I find that most others have more of a "for gamers" than "for your character" feel about them - they have extremely organized rooms with useful things like alchemy and so on, without much "soul" to them, so it just looks like a bunch of activators you click in a mechanical way. Not immersive at all. I like houses that feel more real, less "optimized" and more cluttered.

As for size... nothing that you wouldn't find another NPC living in. Only Jarls and Harkon have castles - and the Jarls have a small living space, most of the place is for other uses. Palaces aren't commonplace in Skyrim, so I find them very non-lore-friendly.

It all comes down to how much of Skyrim you want to feel untouched, how much of its native feel you want. As cool as a castle in Sovngarde or a flying ship is, there's nothing in the game that allows their existence. But that's the wonder of single player games - do what thou wilt. :wink: (While all the others stand aside and judge quietly.)

Edited by sisterof