NMM bug fix release and download hacking problems fixed

Dark0ne

Wow. Just wow. Well, I guess I missed it, what time was it? Living in Germany's timezone makes it easy to hit these things since when the US east coast has 6am we've got 12 pm...

Perhaps you guys could add a "Confirm download" box after selecting a sever to download from, with the filename and size of what you're about to download, you know, to avoid even putting these things on our systems. Maybe even disallow the .EXE extension from being uploaded. Just an idea.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #7634227. #7634317, #7634389 are all replies on the same post.

If you have a paid Norton version, I highly recommend you use it at least until the subscription runs out. I don't care much for paid AV myself because I don't consider them significantly better then the free ones, BUT to my knowledge they generally DO perform better. And after all, as you describe it, it was actually able to catch the malware.

Oh and when/if your changing to a free one, don't pick MSE. It doesn't perform well at most test. I'd say go for Avast or AVG.

In response to post #7634227. #7634317, #7634389, #7635222 are all replies on the same post.

Norton sucks IMO. it's a huge resource hog and unless you turn on the most intrusive and system-crippling options, hugely ineffective.

Avast! is in the same boat. I don't care that it's free, it's bloomin' awful software. AVG hasn't been worthwhile since the years before they released a "parallel" paid option.

If you don't trust MSE (I do btw. I've used it exclusively since Windows 7 was released and its caught everything that I was unlucky enough to allow onto my computer, but I appreciate others may not share my opinion/experience), then I'd recommend going with ESET's NOD32. It's a paid option, but not expensive and is very well regarded.

why hacked the NMM ???

thanks for hard work Dark0ne , its cool to know we can download in security .

""While I haven’t tried to run it myself it seems to be a scam malware that sends the user to a fake FBI page informing the user they must pay must in order to unlock their system.""

i have be attacked by this method already in past , the only way for me was to let the Police deal with the virus ,idk what they do but its all clean now , just for say, its really an hard and dangerous hack ,block all the pc and when you restart it, it open an pdf window (the window cant be close until the pc is not restart) with all the text ( text about gendarmerie nationale for me) and blabla and you need pay at end ... just for say , DONT PAY , in any way , if you have this here, or in another website , the police NEVER ask you to pay online ...and if i remember good, the pay method was something like an credit card system "cash" or "paysafe" ..be careful guys , and thanks again nexus staff for protect us ^^

Edited by macadamstreet

In response to post #7634227. #7634317, #7634389, #7635222, #7635365 are all replies on the same post.

As a paid for anti-virus i cannot fault ESET NOD32.Seeing as your PC is already infected, i'd recommend downloading MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (it's free and found here) and run a full scan on your computer. I've always found it very good at detecting and removing infections on an infected PC. Edited by Monolithia

Well...most people have NMM installed and apparently that malware only affects manual downloads, so there's at least that.

As a side note, if you happen to find the location of that useless piece of trash that hacked your servers, please be kind enough and post it here.