NMM bug fix release and download hacking problems fixed

Dark0ne

In response to post #7635205. #7636326, #7636511, #7637460, #7637758 are all replies on the same post.

I agree with your idea it's just that to ban an .exe would be bad for the Nexus. The suggestion of a confirm button is good, but you get that option already when downloading. Well I do at least. Also when you said to disallow an .exe. I assumed you meant even compressed files would be searched for an .exe.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #7635205. #7636326, #7636511, #7637460, #7637758, #7638512 are all replies on the same post.

Banning EXE files would have no effect in this situation as I doubt the hackers created an account and uploaded the file thru the nexus interface. They hacked the system which by definition means they circumvented the security and other protocols.The best advice was already given by Dark0ne, "if your downloading a 30MB mod and you get 100k EXE file then something is obviously wrong and should be reported".If you go ahead and execute the file even though it does not come close to matching what your expecting then sorry you should not be using a computer of any kind, lol. Edited by Voodoo McGee

Same as user2456, but while browsing Oblivion mods ~San Jose/CA kept trying to send me nexus.exe. MS Security Essentials detected it though.

In response to post #7639197.

Tried again...San Jose...Same filename but I'm using IDM. Error recieved is as follows: The site has redirected you from your target URL. Do you wish to continue? And the usual box that lists the filename to be downloaded, size, estimated time yadda yadda...

Haven't update to this 44 update yet. My NMM is currently... semi operational. I currently know it's quirks so I can wrestle with it.

I think I also saw this in action, similar to what Mizho experienced.

I attempted to download http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2700, and selected a server (can't remember which). After the usual prompt to wait for the server to download, I saw that a file named "nexus.exe" was requesting permission to be downloaded from my browser; I clicked cancel, and Microsoft Security Essentials suddenly popped up and said that it had quarantined something.

Edited by ExecutorDill