NMM bug fix release and download hacking problems fixed

Dark0ne

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reports folks. I was FINALLY able to reproduce this and we'll continue to investigate this. In the mean time we've taken the Washington 2 server down. If this happens to you again from THIS POINT ON (please don't tell us about a download from 6 hours before my post...) then please let us know, as it'll mean another file server is compromised.

I got infected yesterday, but it took me an hour, and I was back in the game.

Most of us in here know how to use google and follow a simple youtube video on how to remove the malware. Even if it disabled safemode in windows.

So what was the hacker thinking? I'll bet it would be more fishes in other web-communities, where questions like "how to change wallpaper" are on the Top-100 list. :)

And yes, my AVG are in the doghouse as of now :P

Alright, I might have received a nasty infection by browsing around the site. Wasn't downloading anything on this computer, but *apparently* the virus is capable of installing itself on your machine by exploiting security flaws in outdated versions of Java. <--- NOT THE SMARTEST THING TO RUN AROUND WITH!

To anyone reading this, make sure you have all your plugins (Flash, Java, Quicksilver, whatever) updated. Some browsers are smart enough to automatically disable them once they get outdated (Firefox), others aren't as thoughtful. Don't be tempted into laziness, that's all I'm saying...

Refer to this overview http://about-threats.trendmicro.com/us/malware/TROJ_RANSOM.NTW for more detail.

Edit, upon further consideration: Has anyone else become infected this way? Skyrim Nexus was the site I was browsing when the virus was executed, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of other sources.

Edited by FinneganAsleep

In response to post #7706341.

Yes, I posted a few pages back about a virus trying to download and execute itself when I accessed an image in the Latest images section on the front page of Skyrim Nexus. Fortunately it looks like my anti virus program was able to stop it before it fully executed itself. For me it opened or redirected me to a page other than the page I was actually trying to access.Redirecting me to another page seems strange considering that I'm the only person that's had a virus try to do this on the Nexus. All of the other reports I've read have been about people getting a virus when trying to download a file. I'm afraid I may have something else on my PC that redirected me to the download. Problem is I've ran numerous virus scans with a couple different anti virus programs and they haven't found anything. Edited by Kalell