Playing as Multiple Characters in One Game

Ensrick

I always thought it was fun to play through all the guilds and faction quests with the same character, but it just seems a little a bit inconsistent or odd to be so many different masters at once. I also like to play as different races and Charaters which suit different quests better. Then I had this brilliant idea. Somehow there must be a way to do the different faction quests as different characters.

Now, if I put a lot of effort into it, I can use the console to recreate my character, but not only is that a lot of work, it isn't quite what I had in mind. You see people who meet you as one character still know you as the other, and my previous character is gone when I change factions.

So here's what I want, and I hope you do too. I want to be able start the game as my main character and then leave that character somewhere and create a completely different separate character to do other quests that don't suit what I have in mind for the main character.

Then I want to be able to, at will, change who the player is and use the others as npc followers. At the end of the guild quests I would have a theif guildmaster, a dark brotherhood listener, a companian leader and whatever else I wanted as followers for the Dovahkin, the original pla yer.

Ideally, aside from my main characer, the others wouldn't be able to use or learn shouts, do the main quest or absorb dragon souls. I have no idea whether this is possible with scripting, but I do think it is possible. I'm still up for it even if I can't find someone to do all this. At the very least I want to be able to do the faction/guild questlines as a completely different character with no connection to the others.

I think all that needs to be in place to make this work is a location, an adventurers guild or something where there are preset NPCs that can be used as a player and follower. First, all we need a script that allows you to choose who the player is from the available NPCs. Not too hard right, and then a script to call up the racemenu for customization of the chosen character. Basically a way you could transfer ownership of characters and play as different styles and characters and still have it all fit into one game.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Ensrick

This is actually brilliant.

Coming from hardcore mode diablo 3 and path of exile recently, one of the cool offsets of dying and losing your character was that you have one 'stash' for all your hardcore characters so even if one died, he basically left an inheritance for your next character so it wasn't exactly like starting over from scratch if thats not what you wanted.

I LOVE the idea of all your characters being in the same world and interacting with what the others have left behind.

Would this just be realllllllllly difficult to program? Npcs being able to differentiate which player they are interacting with, and the corresponding differences in reputation, quest progression etc..

Is this possible???

There is only one player... you can't have multiples of the player character.

That said.

You MIGHT be able to create a quest with an alias for the player that reverts the factions and other stuff back to default. Install it as a mod, play, then uninstall it and all that alias stuff *should* be removed and leave the player as they were prior to applying that quest mod BUT that quest mod would have to govern everything needed to be reverted.

That's only theory. No clue if it could really work and no desire to find out.

I don't really care for that method. I think there's another way to get some of this to work. All that means is I can't use NPCs as the player or have actual multiple players around Skyrim. You don't literally need multiple players to do this.

One can manage the race, and skills with the console and batch files, so it'd be easy enough to create a script to trigger it in order to reacreate the player anew.

Then all you need is an option that allows you to turn off quests and restore them to the player. Which you can do with the console as long as I haven't yet started any quests yet using the quest ID codes. Next you need something that resets the npcs relation to the character and dialogue back to default. There should be some global variables that can be switched on and off using the SkyUI mod menu. That should make the coast clear to create the experiance of being a different character.

Last all you I need to be able to do is to make npc followers who reflect the last character you were working with by making a tool or something the player can use to modify npcs. Create followers as a templates somewhere, then allow the player to use that npc tool to modify the equipement race and stats to reflect the last chacter they were.

That should simulate the experiance of changing chacters. Would that work?

Edited by Ensrick

Only if you want to stick with doing it in the console. Not every console command has a Papyrus version. I also know of no way to trigger a console batch file with Papyrus. The two systems are not interchangeable. If they were, we'd have a PCB mod that actually works. :P

What is Papyrus? I basically put text files of any console command I use often in the data folder and then execute them with the console in-game, usually just for spawning battles or making dragons have more health.

Also, I would do it all in the console if I could find all the codes and make an npc. Can you change npc race and gender with the console? I can do stats and items. (items by putting a 1 after the equipitem code for priority use). I suppose I could track down quest codes, however is there somewhere online I could find quest codes, and can you change npc relations in the console, and make it as if they never knew you?

All I need to do is be able to create and customize npcs, add and remove quests, reset how npcs feel about the player and toggle whatever variables or global conditions control how the game responds to you like whether you are the dragonborn or not or whether you have completed said task or not.

You're telling me it's not possible to create a mod that allows the player to do any of these things?

Edited by Ensrick

Papyrus is the scripting language and the backbone of practically everything done in game. In game mods are limited by what Papyrus can do. SKSE has opened up a lot of doors but not enough to accomplish what you are wanting to a full extent.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim

That is a very good read for many of the possible console commands. You can use it to bring up the character creation screen and remake the player character. It is possible to change what factions the player is in and even factions of other NPCs (that would be what governs how NPCs react towards you - most of the time). You can use the same wiki site to look up each quest and get their codes as well. You cannot create new npcs from scratch via the console, but should be able to modify any existing npc via the console.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. I said that you MIGHT be able to create a quest that handles all the switching, but you dismissed that idea.

Thanks I suppose that'll do, I found all the vanilla quest codes online. I think I can delete all the faction related quests and hopefully that will make it go away with some faction editing. Then I should be able to recreate the character well enough. When I'm done I'll use an NPC editor I've found to make an npc follower version from some npc I'll download. I don't really know how or want to create quests or mods. It takes long enough to download them and make them work together.

Yeah it would be cool if there was an adventurers' faction hall, and each of the characters there fit an archetype (assassin, warrior, mage, etc) and when you talk to them there is an option like "You take the reins" or something, and when selected the view switches to the other character, and the character you were just playing as commences idle animations in the hall until you return, or you can recruit them as a follower.