Archive invalidation makes my game crash

Rexthecaptin2

So ive recently gotten a new pc and wanted to get back into fnv modding. Ive been following this modding guide (Fallout New Vegas U.L.T.I.M.A.T.E. - Modular Modding Guide (sinitargaming.com)) almost to a T, but recently I was testing my game again after solving another crashing problem related to FCO that I fixed by simply using New Vegas Redesigned 3.

Everything was going well, except I noticed some characters had one eye missing and Roberts Male Bodies having messed up textures but other than that it was fine. (except for Easy Pete being white but I chopped that up to it being either a design choice or simply a minor visual bug) I did sunny smile's quest until I killed some geckos and my screen went gray, so I quit looked it up and found out it was related to the fov slider mod I downloaded from the guide and swiftly deleted it as well as the eye mod in the guide I believed to be responsible for the eye glitch I mentioned earlier. I also decided to swap Roberts bodies for Breezes Male Bodies. I downloaded Breezes turned Archive Invalidation off and on as the mod said to do and launched the game which then lead to a crash at the first main menu slide. After making sure it wasn't a one off crash (it never is) I tried downloading Roberts and the eye mod again to no avail. I also tried LOOT and FNVedit (although I admit my knowledge and experience with them is limited and all I really did was sort plugins and go in with FNVedit quick auto clean on every mod that had a message below it on LOOT) I also made sure that none of my plugins have missing masters and none did. In an act of desperation I tried launching fnv without archive invalidation and to my surprise it worked. but when I went outside doc Mitchel's house I immediately noticed all the plants from wasteland flora and terrain overhaul were pitch black or were swapping textures depending on where I moved my camera and some other textures were also missing/distorted like the laser pistol in doc Mitchel's house or bullet holes being white squares which obviously none of these problems existed before I had quit to uninstall the mods I thought were causing problems. Whenever i try to turn archive invalidation back on to fix these texture glitches it leads to a crash at startup.

I believe the issue stems from either when I turned archive invalidation on and off for breeze or a problem with my load order (which i will provide below)

any help would be appreciated as to be honest I dont have the slightest clue on how to fix this as the only option I can think of is a clean install, which I would rather not do as ive spent 3 days straight modding this game, also apologies for the long windedness and poor grammar i just wanted to cram as many details as possible to help solve this. (And just in case anyone asks I already have FNVSE and FNV4gb update as well as many other stability mods)

After removed and installed completely different body mods etc...

Did you start a new game?

If you didn't, then it's no surprise that your game is crashing

Also, before you go crazy cleaning mods with FNVEdit,. be sure to read the Description pages of all the Mods, because some will specifically say NOT to clean their mod

After removed and installed completely different body mods etc...

Did you start a new game?

If you didn't, then it's no surprise that your game is crashing

Also, before you go crazy cleaning mods with FNVEdit,. be sure to read the Description pages of all the Mods, because some will specifically say NOT to clean their mod

yes i started a new game but i never did read the descriptions to check for that perhaps that is the reason but even then it was crashing even before i did that.

As noted in other threads, the guide you are using should be avoided at all costs. It has been reported that the author does not know what s/he is doing.

You also have quite a few inactive plugins. These should be removed. Everything that is in your Data folder will be loaded into memory when the game is started.

What is the install path to the game? What are your equipment specs? What other mods do you have that do not show in the load order?

You have another problem causing the game to crash, it is not caused by Archive Invalidation.

All Archive Invalidation does is direct the game to load the loose files instead of the .bsa files.

As noted in other threads, the guide you are using should be avoided at all costs. It has been reported that the author does not know what s/he is doing.

You also have quite a few inactive plugins. These should be removed. Everything that is in your Data folder will be loaded into memory when the game is started.

What is the install path to the game? What are your equipment specs? What other mods do you have that do not show in the load order?

You have another problem causing the game to crash, it is not caused by Archive Invalidation.

All Archive Invalidation does is direct the game to load the loose files instead of the .bsa files.

Yeah i noticed after i took the screen alot of them are there because brave new world has alot of patches in the downloader that i planned to add later down the road but never got to/decided against will make sure to remove

The install path is Windows (C:)/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Fallout New Vegas My specs are: Intel ® Core i7 10700F CPU @ 2.90 GHz 16GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics card all on a 64 bit windows 10

as for the mods not shown here is the full list:

yeah as i was going through his guide i became increasingly weary of everything he had on there especially considering alot of it conflicts entirely or is too small to even notice

Edited by Rexthecaptin2

Your install path is part of the problem. Any files installed in Program Files fall under the control of Windows User Account Control. The UAC prevents any changes to be made to any .exe file installed in Program Files. This is a security measure to prevent viruses from corrupting your .exe files. NVSE and the 4GB patch both change the Fallout.exe and are prevented by the UAC from doing their job. There are instructions available from STEAM that will explain how to move you game out of Program Files.

You are also getting very close the the limit of mods that can be run by the game engine. A merged patch is highly recommended.

Your install path is part of the problem. Any files installed in Program Files fall under the control of Windows User Account Control. The UAC prevents any changes to be made to any .exe file installed in Program Files. This is a security measure to prevent viruses from corrupting your .exe files. NVSE and the 4GB patch both change the Fallout.exe and are prevented by the UAC from doing their job. There are instructions available from STEAM that will explain how to move you game out of Program Files.

You are also getting very close the the limit of mods that can be run by the game engine. A merged patch is highly recommended.

Alright moved my Fallout New Vegas folder to New Volume (D:)/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Fallout New Vegas and created a merged patch for as many mods i could and ended up making 4 merges but i still crash at startup

You should always start troubleshooting from any error messages you can see. (They are your best "clue"; and why they exist at all.) Reporting such messages accurately is an essential first step.

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog because the game engine was not able to predictably handle the error. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article.

Logs generated by the game itself (not Windows) are found in the game folder, where the "FalloutNV.EXE" file is located. They generally have the ".log" file extension, or a filename with "_log" in the name and a ".txt" extension.

Please see the 'Towards Game Stability' and the 'Common Game Problems' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

If the problem persists, then work through either the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' or the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last set it up. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned" by a retired Technical Support expert. It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine; only "the essentials". It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article. Once you can play a test game to at least Primm, only then should you try adding other mods from some other "guide".

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent