Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel Gone from the Nexus?

phoenixdownn

Will I need to start a new game when I go from 2.1 to 3.0?

no just uninstall the v2.1 and then install 3.0 and PLAY

Unless you've been using the botched version of 3.0. Then you WILL need to use a new game. Or at least roll back to the last save you made before upgrading to the bad 3.0.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you've been using the botched version of 3.0. Then you WILL need to use a new game. Or at least roll back to the last save you made before upgrading to the bad 3.0.

because of a bad version number? it's a bit over reacted no? COT doesn't use any script, just uninstall it if you want and revert back to or do a clean save, if you are so afraid about what must going on.

there is endless list of post on Nexus about people with load order problem, CTDS etc. because of really bad mod poorly coded or crafted, i'm pretty sure COT won't do anything "horrible" to your game.

many of us are using V3 from the first release without a glitch.

@@

From what I've been reading, the bad version number is just the "smoking gun". There are other issues, notably due to the compression algorithm used to created the mod, that can cause bad things to happen. If you've installed COT3 and saved your game with it installed, then there's a good chance that the compression errors have introduced corruption into your save that will now remain there. It may not be obvious now, and it is very difficult if not impossible to spot where this has happened. One way I saw it described was that whilst the file size may look correct the compression will have created zeroes where it shouldn't have, the game will have filled those zeroes in with what it thinks are the right values, everything will look okay, but something nasty could come up to bite you any time.

In the meantime, I'm discovering that I have games that are not Skyrim! Who knew....

because of a bad version number? it's a bit over reacted no? COT doesn't use any script, just uninstall it if you want and revert back to or do a clean save, if you are so afraid about what must going on.

there is endless list of post on Nexus about people with load order problem, CTDS etc. because of really bad mod poorly coded or crafted, i'm pretty sure COT won't do anything "horrible" to your game.

many of us are using V3 from the first release without a glitch.

@@

Oh Divines. Please, please do your research BEFORE you say things like this. If I had a US dollar everytime I posted something to debunk this kind of thinking over on the Facebook page for CoT, I'd be richer by around $10 by now and be able to buy myself a copy of Dragonborn!

FYI, when you look at the plugin file (TES4 record)'s header info in xEdit, only one of two numbers should be present in the file headers generated by the CK: valid TES4 record version numbers for Skyrim are 0.94 (most older files) or 1.70 (after recent versions of Update.esm); anything else and you have an indication of trouble. See this UESP wiki page for more details.

Worst case scenario: Skyrim will refuse to load the mod and crash, especially with version numbers that are higher than Skyrim itself supports. So if you see something like 0.85 in the version field when examining the plugin in xEdit, that's an improper version field, which shouldn't happen if you made the plugin with the CK. Hence it's usually a good indicator that the plugin has been made or edited in a 3rd party tool that isn't the CK or compliant with it, e.g. TESSnip. Hence Wrye Bash will report any mod with a version number that isn't any of the above as corrupt.

If you look at the earlier posts in this thread, Sharlikran has stated that the version number in the corrupted CoT 3.0 was 0.85-- practically a sure sign that an older version than the current dev-alpha release of TES5Snip was used to make the file; he has also said that the file had NOT been through the actual CK.

Use of older versions of TES5Snip has been documented as having problems with handling compression data since it can't process it, resulting in loss of data at random throughout the file, corrupting the plugin. Because there's no way to figure out exactly what Snip-- well, snipped-- from the plugin, the only real solution to the problem is to thoroughly check over, and possibly rebuild the mod from scratch in the CK if the situation calls for it-- ideally the mod should be rebuilt completely in the CK to avoid anything left over from Snip like out of order subrecords, etc.. This time around the work on repairing the damage apparently is fairly easy, if very tedious and has been done successfully-- but if you look at what Sharlikran's earlier post said he found, many important records got trashed very badly and thus renders this mod unsafe for use in the current form you have installed, period. Wait for the corrected v3 to be released.

I just sent the fixed files to jjc71 today. And yes, the file version number is not the issue. But let me comment on that. That is also poor practice to use Snip or any other program to change the file version number from 0.94 to 1.70 when you never loaded it into the CK. Please don't do that. It just makes it harder for people trying to troubleshoot their plugins and why they have CTDs.

As for compression, and other things I commented on. Those are the actual errors with the files. It's not the version number. The version number was just the tip off. Which in this case I am glad it was there. The files really did have serious issues with how the plugins were formatted. I know jjc71 would never have intended that to happen either. It's just the by-product of using Snip.

Programs to stay away from are TESVSnip (4.2 and 4.3.x), and NPC Editor. Version 4.4.0.[whatever] of Snip does not have the compression issues but still has bugs and really can't handle some things. I talk about what it can handle in my official thread for it. NPC Editor uses old Snip technology as it's base. It can be used if someone knows how to fix the plugin it creates. Once the plugin is fixed and loaded into the Ck the result can be a very stable and fun NPC to use. However, some people don't know the issue even exists or, don't know how to fix it. Asking for advice on how to fix it in the NPC Editor thread is the best option as some of the regular posters have actually fixed the files and made them stable enough to use.

Edited by Sharlikran

Luinithil, on 02 Apr 2013 - 09:07, said:

This time around the work on repairing the damage apparently is fairly easy, if very tedious and has been done successfully-- but if you look at what Sharlikran's earlier post said he found, many important records got trashed very badly and thus renders this mod unsafe for use in the current form you have installed, period. Wait for the corrected v3 to be released.

Almost all of the FormIDs started with 01. Which causes them to be treated as part of Update.esm when they aren't. That's referred to as an injected record. Immersive Weapons uses that with SPIKE.esm and that is one case when its use is well implemented. TES5Edit will tell you that injected records are present by showing them in Italics. When you see that then it's either intended, or an accident of using TESVSnip to copy certain records around. An author can use TES5Edit to fix the references, then double check the values, and lastly load it in the CK to finalize everything.

I am thinking that people shouldn't need to do anything but install the repaired files. If you have a mod that is in your list as 4E and you load one mod before it, then the same mod is now 4F and Skyrim just knows what to do. That kind of dynamic prefix numbering happens all the time. Since I never changed the FormID number itself just the prefix, then Skyrim should adjust for that on its own.

Edited by Sharlikran

humm, ok, thank you both, it's really interesting technically and i do agree it's better to run a clean and updated version of course.

The thing is, because i haven't use Boss for CoT3, i just place it where it was as V2.1 , i didn't have the "warning" about corruption, i've discover it later with a Wrye bash pop up alert, but since, if i'm listening you, i'm lucky. no bloating, log are still the same, i use Dragon mod which change the weather on spawn and it works like a charm, of course i didn't play for endless hours and as i've said in a previous post, when i've loaded it in Tes5 it return no conflict or error at all, but i'm not a pro with it, so i surely miss something.

Well, JJC will release the update and everything will go back to normal, if it has broke my last save , so bit, just a game :)

I'm impressed at just how much those involved have been willing to be communicate with us about what's going on. Something all of us should aspire to, in my opinion. Thanks to JJC, Sharlikran, and anyone else involved in getting such a quick fix for the issue. I'm excited to finally try v3!

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad