Need help with a texture flickering problem

LostInReverie

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm having a weird texture flickering problem. Here is a video that shows the issue. It mostly happens with NPC clothes, but I've noticed it happens with some other textures as well, like with mudcrabs, goblins, and maybe other enemies too.

I do have several mods installed. Here is a list of my active mods from Wrye Bash:

Active Mod Files:

00 Oblivion.esm

01 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.5.6]

02 DLCShiveringIsles.esp

03 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.5.9a]

** EVE_StockEquipmentReplacer.esp

04 Weapon Improvement Project.esp [Version 1.9]

05 Alluring Wine Bottles.esp

06 RoadLights.esp

07 Enemy Weapons dont drop.esp

08 Improved Fires and Flames - Increased Sound.esp

09 Enhanced Vegetation SI.esp

0A Cazy Hairs.esp

0B Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp [Version 2.0]

0C Kart Hair Replace v01.esp

** NPC Hair Matches Beard.esp

0D Ultimate Leveling.esp [Version 1.9.5.2]

0E OCO_Eyes_Fix.esp

0F LINK.esp [Version 1.4]

10 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I did use the Archive Invalidate Invalidated from Nexus Mods as well. No ENBs installed.

Please let me know if there is anything else I need to include.

Link to Video Showing Problem

I'm not sure you will find any direct culprit. To me it almost looks like the NPC is stepping into and out of shadowed areas repeatedly, like once every step of the stairs? As there were no such shadows or lights in the Vanilla game, I wager a guess you're also using some plugin-less (thus not showing in your load order) mods changing lighting, shadows and such in your game, else the shadows I've seen in the video would not exist. Does the flickering also happen while they stand completely still or only when they move around?

My first impression I get is that it toggles between normals, well a normals that is solid like DXT1 and then a normal type that have a alpha channel that is not white and that is what makes the skin and clothes to look more realistic in the first place. But this is impossible but I think I am on a track never the less. Something is making the DXT3 or DXT5 normals at that character/NPC to stop do what they are made in the first place to do. What is a normal? It is the *_mn.dds files and one can look like this:

Here is an example of a normal to the left that has an alpha channel lesser than white and is most likely DXT 3 or 5 and the right one has a white alpha channel and is most likely DXT1

DHRVi9Q76Dcz_qfA9E8HBw.png

Well this example is better:

2080-embedded-alpha-example.jpg

Now the question comes... wtf is causing it?

I see you are using 2 mods that changes light.

• Improved Fires and Flames - Increased Sound.esp
  • RoadLights.esp

I do not think it is Road light for sure but the other one, the Fires, so try to exclude it and see if it might solve this irritating flickering. I would go bananas if my game started to act like that for sure. So frustrating... One of those mods is to blame...

Instead of increasing sounds, you can increase sound performance

By the way, I see you use at least 2 mods made by Maskar? Did you also peek at his master piece MOO?

EWE stock replacement? What does it replace? Textures?

A very long shot. Could the hair mod impact on how the alpha is working on the normals?

Edited by Pellape

Did you check if you have mod conflicts?

Did you update your graphics driver?

Wrye Bash isn't showing any conflicts that I can see. I have updated my drivers.

I'm not sure you will find any direct culprit. To me it almost looks like the NPC is stepping into and out of shadowed areas repeatedly, like once every step of the stairs? As there were no such shadows or lights in the Vanilla game, I wager a guess you're also using some plugin-less (thus not showing in your load order) mods changing lighting, shadows and such in your game, else the shadows I've seen in the video would not exist. Does the flickering also happen while they stand completely still or only when they move around?

So it's really weird, but the flickering only seems to occur when I move, when I hit any of the WASD keys. I have no idea what that could mean. It doesn't happen when they or I am still, only when I move around.

Now the question comes... wtf is causing it?

I see you are using 2 mods that changes light.

• Improved Fires and Flames - Increased Sound.esp
  • RoadLights.esp

I do not think it is Road light for sure but the other one, the Fires, so try to exclude it and see if it might solve this irritating flickering. I would go bananas if my game started to act like that for sure. So frustrating... One of those mods is to blame...

Instead of increasing sounds, you can increase sound performance

By the way, I see you use at least 2 mods made by Maskar? Did you also peek at his master piece MOO?

EWE stock replacement? What does it replace? Textures?

A very long shot. Could the hair mod impact on how the alpha is working on the normals?

I uninstalled and deleted the Improved Fires and Flames, and so far I think that has fixed it! Thank you so much! I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. Sometimes I guess you need an outside perspective. EVE Stock Replacer replaces some of the default armors and clothes textures with higher-res versions I believe. I haven't tried MOO. Would it be difficult to install with the mods I already have? I'm wary of causing more conflicts or problems. But thank you again! That flickering was going to drive me nuts.

Still not sure which of the shadow-introducing mods you might use, Oblivion Reloaded or ShadeMe, whichever one also introduces actor shadows like that.

But it could very well be the mod you removed, "Improved Fires and Flames", was introducing weird or too many light sources into this cell, as you were also told on Reddit. The commenter only was unaware the original game has no such shadow system they were talking of by itself but needs mods first to even introduce these effects.

It would also be fitting you see it flicker whenever you move. If I recall correctly the shadows from these mods are cast in relation to the player position, so it doesn't have to calculate shadows in a place a hundred miles away and unseen but only close enough to you. It's already causing weird shadow pop-ins, moving shadows and other oddities on distant objects in many videos of it I've seen.

MOO cannot conflict with anything really as Maskar did make sure he implements stuff in a way that makes conflicts impossible. Therefor he also wants you to load his mod after the batched patch as he adds stuff to the level lists with scripts and stuff in game as well, not in the traditional way at the render window, where most conflicts occur but also when modders make direct changes to levelists and objects and Maskar avoids that as well in MOO as he do it indirect with scripts. He adds new stuff and when he use others resources, he make new objects, place them in moo folders. It makes it impossible to conflict with anything. MOO do search for other mods, and if it finds them, it adds relevant content as well. I dare to say and claim that both Wrye and Maskar are geniuses as they do deal with everyones main problems, solving them and sort them out: Avoiding Conflicts. So damn brilliant.

Good you solved that bloody issue. I was on the right track then, the normals... :wink: Good I am not useless after all. :D

That screenshot does not only show the normals, but also which effect they do have on the visible textures I did notice now.

2080-embedded-alpha-example.jpg

The colors of the objects in light. So perfect picture for this subject. It is more perfect than I first thought or noticed.

Someone ones claimed: A picture can say more than 1000 words.

Edited by Pellape