Does anyone actually like sad endings?

billyro

maybe they just think they are breaking away from the status quo by having a sad ending. you say sad endings are common, and that may be true, at least recently, but happy endings (or at least non-sad endings) are by far much more common. so a Dev going with a sad ending (or at least a non-happy ending) is them trying to be different from what everyone else does. now ofc, if multiple Devs start going this way, or you see more AAA games going this way, then it isnt as far away from the status quo anymore....but there are games that get praised for not doing what people expect them to. some games do it well, some dont. and its the ones that dont that have you asking this question. a game that does it well (The Walking Dead or MGS4 for example) wont have you asking this question :P

I like sad endings.It's realy amazing.For example you are watching a movie and at last the hero of the story DIE.Any way all stories shouldn't end with happy endings like the real life.

Real life hardly always has a happy ending.

The end of a movie or game isn't the same as the end of someone's life. If it was, then everyone would die at the end of every single movie or game.

And when everyone does eventually end up on their death bed, it would be a lot better to remember the joyous times you've had in your life, rather than to look on sombrely towards your approaching death. In this way, real life can have a happy ending.

Wow, you're going morbid there. I don't necessarily mean death. There are many "stories" in a person's life, some happy, some sad.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the message you're trying to get across. That seems to happen a lot. :facepalm:

But what I'm saying is real life isn't sad. A movie isn't super realistic by being sad.

Real life has all kinds of emotional moments, good and bad. Movies that have the same are good, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they need to have a sad ending.

It's a trend in a lot of recent video games that is annoying me. Most MA15+ games that have come out in the last few years have had a sad ending, and I don't know why they do that. All a sad ending accomplished is making me feel like s***.

But why make sad endings then? Is it because the developers think that sad endings are more realistic? If so, they are fools because I'm almost never sad with my life. Sad = real life? I don't think so.

Is it because they feel sad endings inflict stronger emotions upon us? If so, then they are simply a bunch of pricks. ;D

I completely, 100%, absolutely, positively, whole heartedly agree with pretty much everything you said there. ;D Well, except with the almost never sad part, I've had several sad moments in mine. :confused:

Actually, I'm not sure what I was trying to say now. I think I was saying that life isn't always happy or something.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

• 2 weeks later...

Now i'm not saying I liked it - because I didn't - but it was unbelievably powerful: the ending to Mass Effect 3 was glorious. I never cried so much in my life to watch the Shepard, myself, sacrifice herself in order to save not just a few people, or even the human race, but the entire galaxy.

Oh god just thinking about it...

One of the most popular stories of all time has a very sad ending - so, obviously quite a few people do like sad endings. The story of Romeo and Juliette ends with both of the main characters not only dead by their own hands, but it was entirely unnecessary for them to have killed themselves. That is the very basis for tragedy.

These kind of plays/movies/books/games are called tragedies for a reason - and many people cry - but still love them anyway. I actually prefer happy endings though.

So long as the story itself managed to carry the ending with some weight (i.e. had some happiness to contrast the sadness instead of just continuously bleak with occasional bleaker bits) and the end gives some real closure instead of pulling the "it's over, or is it? to be continued..." dross, then I'm all for a sad and tragic ending. At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters too much if the story is a happy or a sad one for me. What's important is, am I engaged? Is the story gripping me?