Is Bethesda shutting down

daventry

Honestly, the ending of Skyrim is "disappointing" in the same way it was for Oblivion: Martin took all the glory from the Hero of Kvatch and the Empire was left ruler-less. A lot of people wanted to be Emperor just like a lot of people want to be High King for Skyrim. It didn't happen (except in mods) for either case.

There's a bit of a pattern to all this. :P

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there will be free releases with updates...the most interesting answers for me will be how will the civil war finish and how it will be reminded in TES VI (as it's just up to the players choice who won the civil war), and what about the Thalmor ?

I'll look forward for TES VI, as I'm not a big fan of the Fallout series.

Edited by Malcom86

Honestly, the ending of Skyrim is "disappointing" in the same way it was for Oblivion: Martin took all the glory from the Hero of Kvatch and the Empire was left ruler-less. A lot of people wanted to be Emperor just like a lot of people want to be High King for Skyrim. It didn't happen (except in mods) for either case.

At least Shivering Isles let you become a god (Even if you really didn't feel like it, as with most things.).

I think Skyrim and Fallout players need to understand the differences between Bethesda game publishers and developers.

ZeniMax, Bethesda Softworks (publishers)

id Software (game developer of Doom and Quake)

Bethesda Game Studios (game developer of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series)

Arkane Studios (game developer of Dishonored)

ZeniMax Online Studios (game developer of The Elder Scrolls Online)

Tango Gameworks (game developer of The Evil Within)

All owned by ZeniMax Media Inc

It doesn't mean that the team from Skyrim moved to work on The Evil Within. That game is being developed by Tango Gameworks, which is clearly not the same team that brought us Skyrim. Bethesda Game Studios is more than likely working on Fallout 4 (it is highly unlikely that Obsidian Entertainment which developed Fallout: New Vegas is involved with Fallout 4 in any way) which is possibly around mid way done which means the Skyrim team was pulled to work on that to get it moving faster. I'm sure when that is completed or close to completion The Elder Scrolls VI will be on the fast burner. It could be up to 2 to 3 years (maybe longer) before you see it in stores. Fallout 4 could possibly be out this year (doubt it) but more likely 2014.

*EDIT* oh, and if there is a remake of a previous TES game I doubt Bethesda Game Studios is going to be working on that. ZeniMax will probably be using an outside development team.

For those who want to know more go to Wikipedia -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZeniMax_Media

Edited by majikku22

Actually ZeniMax Media is located in Rockville, Maryland and the only in house developer is Bethesda Game Studios. ZeniMax Online Studios is located an hour north from there in Hunt Valley, Maryland. All the other developers are scattered across. (2 in Texas, 1 in Sweden, Tango is in Paris and Arkane is in Japan).

A reason why Shivering Isles worked so much - the hero got back its glory as the new god of madness. Not to forget the fact that SI brought back Morrowind style. I'll probably ever dream of Morrowind style.

I guess all major game companies with RPGs are lightyears ahead of Bethesda when it comes to hero developments, stories and endings. The main advantage of Beth is probably the open world even after the hero ending (although limited with the inability of engines in modern games to reflect those changes - games are still too static for this)

What I would like to see is a mod that twists Shivering Isles content of Oblivion to work with Skyrim. The Door appearing somewhere in Skyrim instead in Cyrodiil. Call this mod Shivering Skyrim or anything else. Or a mod using Oblivion content to create a final Thalmor battle in the Imperial City of Cyrodiil.

I'm not going to defend EVERYTHING Bethesda does but I think they've earned a reprieve on this one. Skyrim is an excellent game and the mod community will keep it vibrant for years, much like Morrowind and Oblivion have been kept alive. Or like Fallout 3.

If a Skyrim DLC-esque mod is going to get made, Summerset Isle would make sense but would take an incredible amount of work. Someone could always try to contact the Moonpath to Elsweyr team and ask if they can extend on that one, since it's got all the basal stuff. That mod has a really good concept, it's just a bit peculiar in its execution. Turning something like that into "Liberate the Khajiit from the Aldmeri" would make for a spectacular add-on.