A severely lacking game.

hubsabubs

To say it lacked a cohesive ending is kind of moot if you ask me. This is part 5 in a sure-to-continue-for-many-sequels series. If Elder Scrolls "wrapped up" where would we be?

If I was to summarize my complaints it would be a lack of a significant feeling of variation between characters, a stiff world with (mostly) bland characters, and a huge set of missing features that were even present in Oblivion, let alone those removed from Morrowind, e.g. spell-crafting, acrobatics, hand-to-hand, and the ability to mix and match clothes, light, and heavy armor without entire skill tree busting penalties.

My first Morrowind character was an acrobatic hand-to-hand khajiit, my first Oblivion character was an acrobatic hand-to-hand khajiit. My first Skyrim character took a few months to become a still non-acrobatic, half-functioning hand-to-hand khajiit because I had to create the mod from scratch, and come up with a method to fake functionality because as has been said before, the mod tools don't really let you change game mechanics. I never felt the need to mod Oblivion, besides building myself a house, I felt the game left me wanting very little. Skyrim begged for upgrades right out of the box.

Between needing to mod what I want, fix mods that are busted between DLCs and updates, and fresh install Skyrim after busting my game debugging my mods, I haven't had time to really enjoy it. I must've beaten Oblivion with every race in a variety of classes, going through huge amounts of the game with different characters, and have never bothered to actually beat Skyrim or clocked more than 20 hours with a single character.

Anyway, I can't talk about this without ranting my head off, Skyrim really pissed me off. It improved on Oblivion in so many ways, but it also failed to live up to it in ways that to me are far more important.

Edited by budcat

OP you never played any other TES or Fallout 3 game do you? Sure those things are what I also don't like about it but IF you would know Morrowind , Oblivion and Fallout 3 you would see that they change NOTHING on how you rise your skills, or fighting or moving. For me you are just a newbie to the Bethesda game RPG series :wink:
If Bethesda finally would accept some help from let me say the creators of Might and Magics Dark Messiah and Dishonored then it would be an FREAKING EPIC FIGHTING and moving system. And the funny thing about that is that Arkane Studios already worked with Bethesda on Dishonored.

An this statement also show me that you are new to Bethesda work:

One of my better arguments to propose is, Final Fantasy VII will always be the game changer, letting the world know you don't need excessive, ever so impressive graphics to have one hell of a storyline and world experience that people are still undergoing and experiencing more than 16 years later. Heck last time I checked a copy of it was on Amazon for $250.00 A near 2 decade old Playstation One game for $250.00. I see Skyrim in the used bin for 12.99$ and will see it fade off the radar into an, Oh yeah that's right I forgot all about that game in 5 years tops.

Because If you would known Morrowind when it was released you never ever would say something like that. And why are Console copies always freaking expensive s***? Think about it because the average console guy is to dump to get a black copy of a game. Unlike it is for the PC who you can really easy create a and use a copy.
When Morrowind was out it was breathtaking , most of the PCs cant handle the graphics. The graphics it self blow everything away for let me say 1-2 years.
Also the gameplay was at this time awesome and you had freaking much to discover and without some boring question markers or a mark on your map. I never finish to discover everything of Morrowind and I still have a working version on my disk.

The bad thing about Bethesda's work after they close Morrowind is that they change the game to a cheap copy of it self to get more out of the console marked who is the future. And in my opinion they only upgrade the graphics of the games what is ofc good but not if you stay behind older TES games for quests and complexity it self. And if you look how baad they convert the Skyrim form the console to the PC platform it only shows more that they will favor consoles over the PC. Ofc the performance without a modification is on a PC outstanding but at the time it was out for PCs , the PC could render much more than the std skyrim.ini's allow.

Edited by Vanadinit

To say it lacked a cohesive ending is kind of moot if you ask me. This is part 5 in a sure-to-continue-for-many-sequels series. If Elder Scrolls "wrapped up" where would we be?

No, i don't agree. What's the point adding the Thalmor story if it ain't gonna be finished.

Skyrim deserved a real ending with multiple twists & turns but Bugthesda just ditched it like it was yesterday's trash.

Skyrim is not over it was canceled.

& FYI in TES VI there's gonna be different storyline.

No, i don't agree. What's the point adding the Thalmor story if it ain't gonna be finished.

Skyrim deserved a real ending with multiple twists & turns but Bugthesda just ditched it like it was yesterday's trash.

Skyrim is not over it was canceled.

& FYI in TES VI there's gonna be different storyline.

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed. Disagreed (out of hope, though). We never kept hanging on lore like with Skyrim in previous TES games. Everything that was significant was resolved by the end - the Nerevarine finishes off the Tribunal and the threat of Dagoth Ur, the Hero of Kvatch stops the Oblivion invasion. In Skyrim the only thing that got resolved was the Alduin prophecy. The Civil War has no definite resolution (because it cannot be both, it must be resolved in such a way that both endings are addressed/rendered invalid), everything stands still midair about the Dominion. I don't require another DLC - I want at least a single official blog post saying "the Dominion invades shortly afterwards and enslaves Skyrim" or "a new Emperor manages to get on Ulfric's good side and Skyrim remains sovereign but allied to the Empire" or anything that solves the Civil War without ignoring the choices of players that picked one side or the other.

And yes, I've been ranting nonstop about it. Bear with me.

Otherwise, Skyrim was a great game. If the OP was so annoyed by it, perhaps TES is simply not the kind of game he enjoys - which is perfectly fine. I only enjoy a very limited number of games too - couldn't care less about any other. As far as the TES series goes, Skyrim was true to it - thought it was indeed lacking in dialogue and writing in general. Regardless, TES was never THAT brilliant in that regard, even in Morrowind which is our best example still. I have nothing against the levelling system. The combat can get a bit boring but alas - the openness of the world and the sheer beauty of it, coupled with the nice lore and universe, makes up for any technical woes in my book.

@hubsabubs: Perhaps you'd enjoy the Witcher series. The atmosphere offers much more immersion, in my opinion, but of course it lacks the freedom. You're right about the world-building taking precedence over all the rest - the developers repeatedly remarked that the main character of Skyrim is Skyrim - the province. The look and feel of it. I too wish there were more details like those you mentioned - but given the size of the world versus how small the developer team actually is, I can see why they sacrificed a lot of things. That said, since they put so much effort into making the land and such, it's strange that they won't be releasing more DLCs to build up on this "firm foundation" they built. Modders with probably address some of the immersion things, though, in a smaller scale.

Edited by sisterof

Doesn't matter how good the game is, someone will always complain. Personally, I'm glad there are not big bosses at the end of each level, or dungeon, that's too cliché.

But there ARE bosses at the end of many dungeons :P

Nothing more annoying than some virtually indestructible Draugr who keeps Fus-Roh-Dah'ing you across the room whilst a million of his minions chop you to pieces... lol

I am running Skyrim on a 1.8ghz phenom quad core with 6gbs of DDR2 ram on 1920x1080 HD on a budget 1 GB DDR3 video card on near ultra settings with almost every HD mod out there and HD Texture DLC's. The game is not that taxing on a system, and in my personal opinion Tomb Raider 2013 looks better than Skyrim.

My complaints aren't that the game is terrible, it's just lacking some key essential lore based stuff.

I AM IN A MEDIEVAL AGE! I WANT SOME MEDIEVAL TIMES!!

I'd like to see crowds of people roaring up to you cheering you on as you enter a city that you have helped from turmoil. Cheer on the Victor/Champion.
I would like to be able to go into an Inn and actually order a meal from a wench in a dirty skirt and have a couple pints.
Town Fairs and events. Like the one dude says on one quest, I haven't seen a jester in these parts for years. There aren't many of them around anymore! LIKE REALLY?! No jesters, what fun is that.
The holds themselves are boring, large empty spaces with nothing going on but an old wench telling me to keep my dirty boots off her carpet n some stern house carl telling me they're keeping their eyes on me.
Where are my town court hearings on local criminal activity. Hanging someone from the gallows, a beheading, tar and featherings? Or hell even locking someone up in the stocks for a bit for public humiliation.
Knights Tournaments with swordfighting, bow and arrow challenges, hand to hand combat, jousting.
I want horses to auto jump obstacles like one would in real life. Instead of getting stuck, having to stop back up then jump and press forward.
I want there to be gender based romance aspects, where guys display interest in the female champion and hit on them.
Same for female to male semi-sexual/romantical things happening, basically people throwing/offering themselves at the champion.
You could find unicorns in Oblivion but not in Skyrim?

What's the point in having all these boats sitting and floating around if you can't actually use em to go somewhere or do something.
How about some realistic armor that actually needs to be repaired, either by a blacksmith or you using a smithing skill? I get to just run around in adamantium armor that never breaks.
How about while in the middle of battle your favorite trusty weapon just happens to, oh s***... BREAK! and you need to smith a new one or have it repaired. Bow snaps, or string breaks.
Or perhaps some armor that actually stops an arrow?! No matter how good of armor you make, they always get through.
How about actually having to aim for that sweet spot in an enemies armor, perhaps that seam between the neck and the helmet? or in the eye, to bring them down.
I want some mammoth beasts roaming around and no not mammoths I know this game has them.
I want huge hulking raging beasts that you have to gather a small force of companions together to defeat. (They have'em in ESO, why not Skyrim?!)
Minotaur's in oblivion roaming the plains ready to cut you down. Here ya get a couple giants roaming around, maybe some trolls, deer, foxes, some goats maybe, couple spiders, some giant roaches.
An occasional dragon that pops up on you, that how unrealistically just doesn't snatch you off your horse, eat your lore lovin ass and toss your carcass to the side for the wolves.
Some cracked out junkie mages or necromancers running around summoning skeletons and what not.
Oblivion and Morrowind had bigger and badder bad guys and enemies to defeat than skyrim, you'd fine Giant Cyclops roaming the caves.
How about a multi-target combat system when battling more than 1 enemy somewhere, chained attacks and combos instead of hack n slash until you kill this guy then chase this guy while getting raped by the other 3 around you.

They could have done a lot better with the nature aspect as far as creatures and far better with the selection of enemies. It's so limited for such an immersive world.

I've hob knobbed n tinkered around on these games for years but never really sticking to them, because I just found them unappealing as true to the word medieval RPGs. Never really got into Gothic either. I did like some of the Might and Magic games including the FPS/RPG Legends of Might and Magic online. I did like Dragonshard by Atari. Dragon Ages was alright as well.

Edited by hubsabubs

I'd like to see crowds of people roaring up to you cheering you on as you enter a city that you have helped from turmoil. Cheer on the Victor/Champion.

Right because every one of them had time for that and had look on their Iphones because the new twitter feed of you shows them what you done and that you walking right now to the gates ;)

I never read much about the medieval life but I don't think that the common men had time and fun do to this type of crap. And I also doesn't want to do something like that neither want to see something like that.

I never read much about the medieval life but I don't think that the common men had time and fun do to this type of crap. And I also doesn't want to do something like that neither want to see something like that.

You've never seen A Knight's tale where the champions are greeted by fans as they enter the towns for tournaments.

An Army of Darkness where the local military are greeted by townsfolk with excitement and rejoice when they bring back the captured from whatever battle they were undergoing?

The show Vikings, a Game of Thrones? Where they are celebrated after their raids and feast and rejoice and have merry old medieval times.

These are just examples off the top of my head. Something that supports realism.

We are the Dragonborn the savior of phuggin Skyrim and yet no one greets us as such. Doesn't seem right. Heroes should be welcomed, honored and rejoiced. Perhaps a song about us the savior for the bards to sing in local Inns and Taverns.

Edited by hubsabubs