Slow load times

trailwalker22

I am wondering if anyone can explain this.

Enter anywhere through a door is slow but ok, try to get out again can take up to 10 minutes - the thing is if i press the windows key and return to desktop then use the mouse to click on fallout 4 icon it loads immediatly ?

trailwalker22

I am having the same slow loads. Black screen with the little sign, in the bottom right corner, that is the only way I can tell the game is still loading.

I found a link about load times at STEAM : https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/496881136901220706/

I am going to find the FalloutPrefs INI and try this to see if it helps: this was set at =1. One poster suggested setting it this way: iPresentInterval=0

With MO2 I clicked on the Mod Organizers tab which is just on the left of the Wrench and Screwdriver that looks like a red thing with three little blocks. When I did I saw it has the INI editor in the menu's list. I opened it and found the FalloutPrefs tab. Clicked on it opening the FalloutPrefs INI page. It was easy to find and change the setting iPresentInterval=1 to 0.

I still get the black load screens with the symbol in the lower right corner for the long playing movie clips. Now it doesn't take as long for them to end, and load.

None of the load scenes from passing through doors or fast travel, which show us hints and tips, takes as long.

@HeyYou. Thanks for the reference to Nexusmods Load Accelerator. I'll do a search with the Nexusmods Search.

Good to know!

The amount of RAM the game can use also is part of the reason games load screens take longer then usual too.

Have any suggestions for Fallout 4 for allotting more than 2GB for the game to use. Like the 4GB Patch for Fallout New Vegas?

Fallout 4 is a 64bit application, so, there shouldn't be ANY restrictions on how much ram it can use. Using an external utility, like ENB, or FOSE, and enabling their memory fixes works pretty well for me. The game runs good, and is pretty darn stable, even with around 100 mods.

Windows dynamically sizes the page file in any event, unless you go in and set it to a specific size. Also, if you have "Fast Start" enabled, windows doesn't really shut down anyway. It just writes the current machine state to a file, and at boot, just loads that file.... Restart actually does force windows to reload drivers and such. On my machine, there is maybe a couple seconds difference in boot time between the two settings.... so, I just turned it off. (I would prefer that windows would reload all its files and drivers at boot in any event.....) As it stands, my machine goes from completely off, to a usable windows desktop in under 30 seconds. :) Gotta love modern technology.

Clearing the Paging file works well enough.

I have shut it off completely.

Didn't see much of an improvement. I reset the Paging File to be cleared when I do a cold shut down then push the PC power button to start'er up again.

I just remembered that I had installed a mod back when Windows 7 was the OS. Because of the Windows 10 update back then. I have a flash drive around here some place with the way to shorten the load times.

I am going to test that compatibility function to find out if the game works better when set to use the Windows 7 OS setting.