Characters you can't stand to see killed off

LordSarcasm

I never like seeing any of my followers get killed in action, no matter how useless or annoying they are. Especially Lydia, as she's classically one of the most annoying followers in the game. But just mute her and I find opening her inventory isn't quite so terrible.

There's also the single mom in Whiterun. She seems to be killed a lot most other NPC's for some reason, and every time it kills me inside because I still her little running around town. I've seen her fried by a rogue atronach, eaten by Blood Dragon, and this playthrough she just disappeared, I guess it was a vampire raid but I don't know because I wasn't there to see it.

Kodlak Whitemane he was a pretty cool dude.

Otherwise im pretty opposite to you, I prefer when my companions die in battle so I have it set that they wont go down on one knee and be ignored they will be outright killed if they cant win their fight. It's just more immersive for me. Prop their body upon their shield under a nearby tree and move on :P

I wish the Mercanaries mod worked for me because it generates expendable named NPC's which is cool but for some reason it stops me being able to speak to other companions and dismiss/hire them.

Edited by scottmack

I haven't found a character that I cared enough about to worry if they died or not. My followers come close (if I had them for a long time), but otherwise I usually just say "that's a shame" and then loot the corpse.

Edited by billyro

Well, I'm usually playing as a lone wolf, so any companion's life or death is of no concern to me; however, as a hero, nordic paragon of virtue, savior of the world and whatnot I always aim to help and/or save everyone around me, so if some unlucky villager or citizen gets killed during dragon attack or a vampire raid, that gets to me, more often than not to the point where I reload the last save only to save that one person. Just yesterday I had a run-in with a Master Vampire and his two hounds in Whiterun - the vampire himself made it to the town, but the hounds somehow didn't and when I went outside, they were attacking a horse in the stables. Of course they killed it easily and I couldn't stand poor animal dying like that, so I reloaded last auto-save, run like crazy to the stables and put those beasts down. You know, I can stand Imperials or Stormcloaks dying, I have absolutely no problem killing bandits, necromancers or other wrongdoers, but innocent people (or animals) dying only because I wasn't quick or strong enough to save them - nope. Well, what can I say - I guess I'm a nauseously good Dovahkiin. :happy:

While most of the time I think I am unaffected by random NPCs dying as most of the time I don't find myself talking to them anyway as they typically don't seem that interesting to me, the NPCs involved in quests or whatever tend to be a diffrent story.

Like when Kodlak died and he was the only one that died and he was naked, I was all kinds of WTF? cause I felt it was kinda dumb that he died the way he did. It didn't make sense to me and other times where I couldn't save someone who was being tortured or executed or whatever as the game would auto kill them anyhow was a little annoying.

Kids can't die in my game, but after Heartfire I'd say there were a fw that tugged on my heartstrings for sure there. I originally got heartfire to build a house or two but then I ran into one of those little dumplings on the street and listened to their story and suddenly they were like Pokemon and I wanted to catch them all LOL.

While most of the time I think I am unaffected by random NPCs dying as most of the time I don't find myself talking to them anyway as they typically don't seem that interesting to me, the NPCs involved in quests or whatever tend to be a diffrent story.

Like when Kodlak died and he was the only one that died and he was naked, I was all kinds of WTF? cause I felt it was kinda dumb that he died the way he did. It didn't make sense to me and other times where I couldn't save someone who was being tortured or executed or whatever as the game would auto kill them anyhow was a little annoying.

Kids can't die in my game, but after Heartfire I'd say there were a fw that tugged on my heartstrings for sure there. I originally got heartfire to build a house or two but then I ran into one of those little dumplings on the street and listened to their story and suddenly they were like Pokemon and I wanted to catch them all LOL.

LOL... ;D ....cute description....and that is one of the reasons why I won't get Hearthfire....I'm a real softie but my Dovahkin is not, nor is he any sort of family man or Home Maker....I would feel terrible for the poor little orphans if they were in my game and so just refuse to have them...:(....:)

LOL... ;D ....cute description....and that is one of the reasons why I won't get Hearthfire....I'm a real softie but my Dovahkin is not, nor is he any sort of family man or Home Maker....I would feel terrible for the poor little orphans if they were in my game and so just refuse to have them... :(.... :smile:

Lol! I had no idea myself. I read you could adopt kids and I was all like "Bump that, I just wan't to waste fools and come home to a pimp house!" and then, I ran into some kid selling flowers and well, now (with the help of a mod) I am a semi depressed and proud parent of 4 kids. :/ *sigh*

On a separate note and in addition to my previous post, I was saddened even more about Kodlak dying after read his journal. I can't believe that guild full of warriors and werewolves couldn't protect him and left him laying there naked! Okay, I'm not mad anymore lol, but still.

I almost feel bad that I can't thing of one random NPC that I started to like and would be sad if they died. Meh. Maybe it will come to me later on my eleventeenth playthrough lol.

LOL... ;D ....cute description....and that is one of the reasons why I won't get Hearthfire....I'm a real softie but my Dovahkin is not, nor is he any sort of family man or Home Maker....I would feel terrible for the poor little orphans if they were in my game and so just refuse to have them... :(.... :smile:

Lol! I had no idea myself. I read you could adopt kids and I was all like "Bump that, I just wan't to waste fools and come home to a pimp house!" and then, I ran into some kid selling flowers and well, now (with the help of a mod) I am a semi depressed and proud parent of 4 kids. :/ *sigh*

On a separate note and in addition to my previous post, I was saddened even more about Kodlak dying after read his journal. I can't believe that guild full of warriors and werewolves couldn't protect him and left him laying there naked! Okay, I'm not mad anymore lol, but still.

I almost feel bad that I can't thing of one random NPC that I started to like and would be sad if they died. Meh. Maybe it will come to me later on my eleventeenth playthrough lol.

You have me thinking now....I don't do any of the Guild Quests anymore....play a real Lone Wolf (his Werewolfism is Mod introduced)...but I do like Kodlak a lot and hated that he died when I used to do the Companions Guild...but yes, other than that the list is short, not many NPC's really catch you up in Skyrim...I would hate to see Captain Aldis, Alvor, Hadvar, Madannach, Shadr, the Stable owner of Riften, the Riften Smithy, Falk Firebeard and a few others I can't think of right now die I think...Well there we go, I actually got a list together after all.... :happy:

Heh, just recently I went to Mzulft (sp?) with Illia, J'zargo and Erik following me. I had them set on "protected", not "essential" so if I accidentally killed them then I would have to deal with it, but it prevented them from dying stupidly.

Well, in the second room there was a dwemer spider scuttling towards me, and I promptly made it explode. Erik got caught in the flames and was burning for quite a long time, and I was quite concerned that he would die from it. Amazingly he survived and I continued on my way.

A few more corridors down and I came across some Chaurus who spat evil stuff at me. After dealing with them, I backtracked a bit to find both Erik and Iliia dead. I could have sworn that I didn't injure them in any way, so I reloaded and tried again.

The second time I managed to defeat the chaurus before it could even attack, and all was well. So off we went, on our adventure, when I noticed a tripwire on the floor. I skillfully cut it and avoided the falling rocks, and walked past. It was until after I had reached the end of that room I noticed that J'zargo was the only one still following me. So, I went back and discovered that both Erik and Illia had died whilst wading through the fallen rocks.

I felt that that was a giant rip off, as they had both died from stationary rocks... so I resurrected them and continued.

After I finally emerged from the dwemer ruin, I turn around to see... J'zargo. Somehow Erik and Illia must have died again, or got lost or something.

I believe their corpses are still decomposing in there somewhere.

(I think for some reason, they weren't properly flagged as protected and that's why they kept dying. But, I'm sick to death of their sickening deaths, and so I'll let them rot.)