Edit Alpha Channel with Paint.net

hsung

I have been editing the Alpha Channel of several texture files using DXTbmp and Paint.net fine, except for 1 or 2. Problem is the entire alpha channel becomes transparent when I save any change using Paint.net.

Anyone knows why or what am I missing?

hsung - Hello!

I love Paint.net, a good solid no nonsense art program & free to boot. :D

With a massive selection of plugins available it's endlessly customisable.

"I have been editing the Alpha Channel of several texture files using DXTbmp and Paint.net fine, except for 1 or 2. Problem is the entire alpha channel becomes transparent when I save any change using Paint.net."

Are you trying to save as a .dds for use in game?

If so, make sure you are saving as either DXT3 or DXT5.

DXT1 does not save complex alpha channels.

If you're saving the image as a master to continue working from, save as a Paint.net/.pdn.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Hi Prensa,

I believe the .dds file is already saved as DXT5 and the alpha channel becomes all transparent after I save it in Paint.net, but before overwriting the file using DXTbmp.

Fyi, I open the alpha channel for editing using Paint.net from DXTbmp. If I open the .dds file directly with Paint.net, the texture is already partially transparent.

Are you trying to save as a .dds for use in game?

If so, make sure you are saving as either DXT3 or DXT5.

hsung - Hello!

I use DXTBmp with Paint.net too for handling alpha channels.

So you're opening a .dds in DXTBmp & using the "Send alpha to editor" (Paint.net)?

In that case the alpha will be a bitmap/.bmp.

Make the changes to it in Paint.net & save it as it is, a .bmp.

Then go back to DXTBmp & select Alpha - Import Alpha Channel, browse to your saved .bmp & select it.

Now save the the file as a .dds texture with DXTBmp. Best to save as it was, a DXT3 or DXT5 just not as a DXT1.

Don't forget this will replace the original .dds so make a copy of the original if you don't want to lose it.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Hi prensa,

Yes, what you suggested worked ... thanks :) However, is there a way to make the imported alpha channel permanent - i.e., no need to re-import further changes saved separately as bitmap? The reason I ask is there is no need to use this process with majority of other .dds texture files.

So you're opening a .dds in DXTBmp & using the "Send alpha to editor" (Paint.net)?

In that case the alpha will be a bitmap/.bmp.

Make the changes to it in Paint.net & save it as it is, a .bmp.

Then go back to DXTBmp & select Alpha - Import Alpha Channel, browse to your saved .bmp & select it.

Now save the the file as a .dds texture with DXTBmp. Best to save as it was, a DXT3 or DXT5 just not as a DXT1.

hsung - Hello!

"Yes, what you suggested worked ... thanks"

Glad to have helped! :)

"However, is there a way to make the imported alpha channel permanent - i.e., no need to re-import further changes saved separately as bitmap?"

Paint.net does not treat Alpha's as a different layer, probably it's main weakness in comparison to other commonly used art programs like Gimp & Photoshop.

It's never bothered me as I mostly create my own textures rather than edit vanilla ones.

In that situation I'm working from a master in .pdn format from the start, save it as a A8R8G8B8 (so it's lossless when converted to DXT 3 or 5 later) make my specular that's saved as a .bmp & combine them in DXTBmp & output in DXT 3 or 5.

It's a good idea anyway, if you think you may need to keep editing the textures you're working on, to save a master in .pdn format to go back to if it needs more work.

That's because resaving in .dds format, whether you can edit the alpha channel in one program or not, will lose a little quality each time you save it.

Starting from a master in lossless format will mean you never lose quality.

Prensa