Can't talk to some NPCs due to bug

currentlemon

Recently when playing Skyrim there is this bug which I can't talk to some NPCs. I can't resume the main questline and the College of Winterhold quest because of this. What should I do. Is this because of the mods I downloaded? The last mods I updated are the Unofficial Skyrim Patch and Wrymstooth. What should I do?

Edited by currentlemon

With the exception of any of the Unofficial Patch Mods....disable or uninstall any mods that you think are causing your trouble, then load up a save game PRIOR to when those mods were installed and see if you can resume your quests.

Ok I think I've realized that I can't talk to NPCs that involve the quest. Other NPCs are fine. I'm not sure what mod I should turn off. I turned of Wyrmstooth but it doesn't do anything. Should I start a new game? Or is there another patch or console command I can do?

Edited by currentlemon

If you aren't using BOSS, that could be your problem. It's a regular program, not a mod, you download it to wherever and run it.

BOSS is mod sorting software, it will put the mods it recognizes into proper order (not perfect but usually good enough). The mods it doesn't recognize you need to place by hand either in the place the mod author instructs or with similar mods.

BOSS also generates a log. Choose to have the log in text file, and you can easily copy/paste your mods list onto a post if you need to.

BOSS also will give you a bunch of messages, usually. You don't need to worry about the BASH tag suggestions unless you are using Wrye Bash. You might get away with not cleaning the mods where it is recommended. However, anything about mods requiring masterfiles you lack, incompatibilities, obsolete mods, those you are going to need to fix.

Like i said, that may fix your problem. However, there are also some mods that tell you they have a delay in the time you add the mod to the time dialog starts working, so you may want to revist the mod pages for any mods that affect NPCs to see if that is what is going on. (Even if it is, you will still need BOSS to avoid numerous future problems.)

I think I've finally found the problem. When I try to complete the College quest "Hitting the Books" I can't speak to the Orc in the Arcaneum after I've completed the dungeon part of the quest. That's when I can't speak to certain NPCs. Is there any way to fix this mess? Or should I use the BOSS program that Georgie recommended? I do remember that I had College of Winterhold mods uninstalled recently. I wonder if something resulted in that installation?

Really, if you aren't using BOSS, you are setting yourself up for all kinds of problems.

If you doubt me, maybe this quote from the STEP guide will help convince you? (link here)

"Better Oblivion Sorting Software (BOSS) is an essential utility for managing mod plugins for Skyrim. Specifically, BOSS ensures proper mod order and Bash Tags, and it also identifies plugins (ESPs/ESMs) that need cleaning or other special treatment (more on this below). Download BOSS and install according to the instructions provided by the author."