OBSE Just not loading with Wyre Bash

Daelyn

Ok. So I have done everything that I have read here on the NexusMods Oblivion Technical Support, and online anywhere.

The last thing I can think of at this point is to just start installing all my mods from the beginning.

OBSE 21 doesn't load anymore into the game, and no, OBSE 22 the new version from a week ago doesn't either.

OBSE 21 did load and I was able to save the game with the OBSE version showing up too. Then, I went to look at this guide to help with Oblivion crashing/slow downs: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/49447?tab=description

Which is the Windows 10 Oblivion Optimization guide. I am not blaming this modding guide, or the author. Something went wrong when I tried to implement what he had in the guide into my Oblivion modded game.

Just use your backups? I did. Over and over again, and they didn't do anything to get OBSE to run. Yes, I use steam, but not the OBSE_steamloader, because I am running Wrye Bash, and need to use the normal loader. If I was using the play button on steam that would be different.

OBSE no longer saves when I save the game, and It shows up on people's faces to install the Blockhead mod. I use OCOv2 of course, and Blockhead is a requirement for it. But Blockhead isn't loading because OBSE is not.

I originally went with this number one Oblivion guide here - https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Oblivion_Vanilla_Enhanced

I had it all running perfectly by the end, and then I added in more mods, and they all started to work it seemed. I have less than 100 Oblivion mods, but I started to experience crashing. I researched why, and found that one of the big issues that Oblivion has is that you can only carry so many items from cell to cell or it will get unstable and crash. So I dropped all my alchemy ingredients to test it, and I was able to successfully go from cell to cell. Then after when I tried using my horse to leave the Imperial City, the game crashed again. So this is what led me to look into the crashing issues that Oblivion has, and is what led me to the Windows 10 Oblivion Optimization guide to begin with.

So, yes, I did swap out the OBSE_loader, with the OBSE_steamloader but there was no difference. I turned on and off the Steam Overlay, but it made no difference.

I reinstalled OBSE several times, and then tried the new version, 22, but no change.

I reinstalled Wrye Bash. No change. Yes, I used BOSS, over and over, but it didn't help.

I reinstalled Blockhead. No change. Yes, I know it wouldn't matter without OBSE running anyway.

I also used a backup Oblivion.ini from several days before the problems came up. It changed nothing.

I also uninstalled the game, and deleted all the other things in the folder, before reinstalling in the same place (not Programs) and then used the backup folder to copy and paste, then yes to replacing the files, otherwise I cannot imagine what issue would have come up.

There seems to be no logical reason why OBSE is not working when it did before that I can think of, and I really don't want to spend half a week to get back to the modded state I was in before OBSE stopped working. Is there anything that anyone can come up with to help me solve this issue?

Edited by Daelyn

If you have it set up properly all you need to do is start the game at the bottom of WryeBash's main screen where it says RUN OBLIVION, OBSE should start up.

Did you install the Obse Steam Loader because you need that NO MATTER WHAT

I had it running perfectly. OBSE was working as intended. If you have the steam version, you only use OBSE_steamloader if you are hitting play on Steam, not if you use Wrye Bash. I didn't have the OBSE_Steamloader in the Oblivion directory, and it was working perfect without it. I played the game up to level 6, while I tested out the game. OBSE was working perfectly throughout, until I started using the gude from the Windows 10 Oblivion Optimization guide.

Why exactly can't you launch Oblivion from inside Steam exactly the same way as before, only because you're now using Wrye Bash?

Using Wrye Bash as a mod manager or for the Bashed Patch doesn't in any way, shape or form alter the way you have to launch your game.

Wrye Bash is a tool you launch, add or remove mods in or create the Bashed Patch, then close and forget about until next time. It's not virtual like Mod Organizer, where you have to launch the game through the manager for the mods to be present in game. It's physical. Installed mods and load order stay intact still when closed. You can choose whichever way you like to launch your game then. And if OBSE launches only when using certain ways, by all means keep using these ways to launch your game.

Why exactly can't you launch Oblivion from inside Steam exactly the same way as before, only because you're now using Wrye Bash?

Using Wrye Bash as a mod manager or for the Bashed Patch doesn't in any way, shape or form alter the way you have to launch your game.

Wrye Bash is a tool you launch, add or remove mods in or create the Bashed Patch, then close and forget about until next time. It's not virtual like Mod Organizer, where you have to launch the game through the manager for the mods to be present in game. It's physical. Installed mods and load order stay intact still when closed. You can choose whichever way you like to launch your game then. And if OBSE launches only when using certain ways, by all means keep using these ways to launch your game.

That's just it. I didn't change the way I do anything. As I wrote, it was working perfectly before. The only thing that comes close to changing anything was this part of the Windows 10 Oblivion Optimization guide:

"3. Compatibility Mode

Oblivion was designed to run on Windows XP. When Oblivion came out, Service Pack 2 was out, but it has been updated to run perfectly on Service Pack 3.

Go to your Data folder, and right click obse_loader, go to Properties at the bottom. Go to compatibility mode, and set "Run this program in compatibility mode:" to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Also, check at the bottom "Run this program as an administrator."

Do this for both the Oblivion.exe and OblivionLauncher.exe as well.

NOTE: If obse_loader.exe doesn't launch, and get's a black screen, then don't apply compatibility mode to it. I have no idea why this occurs, as it doesn't do it with my setup."

These didn't work, so I tried changing them back, and then it worked, but possibly not as before, because OBSE has since been permanently turned off, no matter how I try to load it up.

I did use the Oblivon_steamlauncher and tried launching it from Steam, but it still didn't work.

Hmm, in your case, using Steam, messing around with the "obse_loader.exe" file in any way is mostly immaterial, as you're never going to touch that thing. It's for non-Steam games only and will even throw up an error, if the game is from Steam. The only use it could ever have to "you" is when you want to create mods yourself and write OBSE scripts inside the Construction Set.

I wonder how setting and/or unsetting compatibility mode of the game executable and the launcher could really mess up the OBSE interoperability. Is the launcher executable even still called when launching from Steam? Changing the game executable could mess things up. But why just (un)setting compatibility mode?

If you did somehow mess up the "obse_steam_loader.dll" or however it's spelled during the process, yes, that could hurt the integration badly. Dynamic link libraries like these shouldn't really be touched, or can't. But not seeing the extensions by default on many newer OS can of course lead to disaster quickly when people are told to change files around.

This sentence of your's got me confused, which is why I replied:

Yes, I use steam, but not the OBSE_steamloader, because I am running Wrye Bash, and need to use the normal loader. If I was using the play button on steam that would be different.

'Cause like I said, running Wrye Bash does in no way necessitate any different way to start the game. However, you cannot really use the OBSE Steam Loader either, as it's not an application, just a library. It's a DLL Steam needs to be able to automatically launch OBSE when the game is run through Steam.
And then you said you were "not" using the play button on Steam, which made me wonder 1) why? and 2) which way else you use instead then. 'Cause using the button to launch the game is the only way "I" know to get OBSE working with Steam.
I'm not a Steam user myself though, so I don't know all the details but from reading them in these forums here.

Hmm, in your case, using Steam, messing around with the "obse_loader.exe" file in any way is mostly immaterial, as you're never going to touch that thing. It's for non-Steam games only and will even throw up an error, if the game is from Steam. The only use it could ever have to "you" is when you want to create mods yourself and write OBSE scripts inside the Construction Set.

I wonder how setting and/or unsetting compatibility mode of the game executable and the launcher could really mess up the OBSE interoperability. Is the launcher executable even still called when launching from Steam? Changing the game executable could mess things up. But why just (un)setting compatibility mode?

If you did somehow mess up the "obse_steam_loader.dll" or however it's spelled during the process, yes, that could hurt the integration badly. Dynamic link libraries like these shouldn't really be touched, or can't. But not seeing the extensions by default on many newer OS can of course lead to disaster quickly when people are told to change files around.

This sentence of your's got me confused, which is why I replied:

Yes, I use steam, but not the OBSE_steamloader, because I am running Wrye Bash, and need to use the normal loader. If I was using the play button on steam that would be different.

'Cause like I said, running Wrye Bash does in no way necessitate any different way to start the game. However, you cannot really use the OBSE Steam Loader either, as it's not an application, just a library. It's a DLL Steam needs to be able to automatically launch OBSE when the game is run through Steam.

And then you said you were "not" using the play button on Steam, which made me wonder 1) why? and 2) which way else you use instead then. 'Cause using the button to launch the game is the only way "I" know to get OBSE working with Steam.

I'm not a Steam user myself though, so I don't know all the details but from reading them in these forums here.

Wyre Bash has a checkmark to run the Oblivon.exe along with OBSE. Hit the launch Oblivion and it works. Alright. I will backup and restore the mods and the entire thing, and then go with the steam_loader this time to see if I missed something.

Yeah, a lot of the older managers had these quick'n'easy "launch game" buttons in the past without actually needing them. You could still launch the game whatever other way. I don't think the buttons in Wrye Bash will even work with the Steam game though. The Steam version of the game came long after those buttons were already a thing.

Yes, check your installation. If in doubt, reinstall the OBSE files according to the manual. Especially mind any newer or up-to-date instructions for using OBSE with Steam, as Steam and Windows 10 have a habit of breaking existing integrations between OBSE and the game. There's still always one functioning way to launch the game with OBSE and Steam left, it just appears to be regularly changing slightly as to how exactly it is done.

Alght, I backed up, replaced the launcher to the steam one, booted the game. Looked at my saves, seems that this backup was from an older set of saves from the middle of last week. Still, I tried it, and the issue seems to be gone. OBSE is working, when I hit start from the steam page with the OBSE_steamdownloader. However, two things are different now. I bashed the entire set of mods, and removed the OBSE_launcher. On my Wyre Bash, there is no more option to boot from it, which used to take me into the game. I am afraid to put the OBSE_launcher back in case I run into issues.

OBSE works, since it's saving alongside with them again, and the Install Blockhead face issue is gone.

Could it also have to do with the saved game setup, since it was from days before when it was working without a problem?

If it's because of the OBSE_steamlauncher, then why was I able to boot into the game with OBSE working from Wrye Bash about 100 times before without a problem, when just using OBSE_launcher?

I'm a bit confused. But this has saved me about 3 days worth of work, since I was starting to install from scratch again.

Thanks for the help, HadToRegister, and DrakeTheDragon.

Edited by Daelyn

Was there a specific reason you wanted to start the game (with OBSE support) from within Wrye Bash (full disclosure ... I am an advocate for using different tools for the job they are best at, but only that .... and my mouse and desktop shortcut work flawlessly for starting Oblivion with OBSE support, just as WB is the tool for a bashed patch).