New Ads + Menus not working?

Halendia

Well, I just came online to have a pop-up ad slammed in my face, and there's a really annoying new feature, namely sidebar ad..?

Additional to this, the excessive adding of ads seems to have broken the menu, I can't use the dropdowns "Files", "Categories" and "Nexus Network".

Am I the only one? No?

(Oh, and the Search Field won't come down either)

(Installing AdBlock seems to be a workaround for this, as of now (menus are working) but I really really hate blocking ads, I think you guys deserve the revenue from that, but if the site's broken...)

Edited by Halendia

Sidebar and pop-up ads? Never seen those, the only ads I get are the banner one above hot files and that one below, like this:

Screenshot-19.png

It might be that the site got updated and broke your layout, try clearing your cache and/or doing a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5, Shift+Refresh, so on).

http://www.halendia.se/wat/asdfghjkl.jpg

This is what mine looks like since this morning. Note that whenever the sidebar is loaded, menu doesn't work.

Possible browser hijack? - there are several scumbag companies that hijack your browser and replace the legitimate ads on sites with their own. These are usually NOT reported by virus scanners - although I believe they should be. They also usually add a browser helper program ( that helps them and not you) and/or a useless toolbar that may be hidden but is usually visible. They typically hide the real name of their program to make it hard to find & remove.

What bben said, those things aren't rare. You can try to get rid of it with Malwarebytes but that's not guaranteed to remove it.

As far as I can see, the sidebar doesn't look like it's part of the site, rather a part of the browser itself, which is weird. And ads on random words in news, that never happened to me. If I had to guess, I'd say your browser is done for, clean out the garbage that might have affected it and re-install the browser.

If you use firefox check your addons for a toolbar thing (or something new you don't really recognize). I had something like that happen once and it had been some sneaky thing that had gotten into my addons or extensions. It took me forever to find it and wipe it out. I couldn't find it under programs at all if I remember correctly..it was an addon I am pretty sure.

Yeah now when mentioned... Already rooted out the culprit. Something called Yontoo, can't remember installing it...

Must've come with some pack somewhere. Just reinstalled Windows and I've been downloading old software like crazy, must've missed this one.

I just thought it was so weird it only showed up today. I didn't install anything yesterday.

Thanks!

Edited by Halendia