Oblivion or Skyrim?

FillipeMattos

Probably one other thing that I dislike on oblivion was the hole oblivion crisis the hole concept was great in the main story you had some recognition of an crisis but just wondering around seeing all the gates they were so static the daedra just stood there never attacked anyone, villages or cities it felt like there was no crisis similar to skyrims civil war despite a few quests. At least in skyrim they kind of fix that the dragons are so unscripted they really can just do about anything them being as the main crisis. kind of blame Microsoft 360 and the 1 Disk rule for that they gutted so much out of oblivion its not even funny just to comply. I will still pick up Oblivion from time to time I mean is still really a great game despite its flaws every single game has its flaws I'll still pick up daggerfall and morrowind, Im a big fan of morrowind! I knew someone that I tried to convince them to play oblivion and they could not get past the character creation screen they thought the graphics where horrible hey whatever I know by todays standard they are not great but they are missing one heck of an great adventure its their bad...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyrim.

I spent two happy years playing in Oblivion (also thanks to nexus for mods), but Skyrim win for me. Yeah, at the beginning I was even disappointed, but that feel is gone.

I hate dragons, it's just stupid. I hate that desaturated world, thanks to enb I can fix it. I hate too much winter places, I live in Russia, lol. Hate for console release, because we get cutted cities and etc. But I love Skyrim, it's amazing game. Yesterday I installed Oblivion.. and I can't play it.

• 2 weeks later...

Skyrim is obviously a graphical improvement.

Skyrim's Dungeons are way better designed than Oblivion's were, and since you spend a great deal of time dungeon crawling, that's kinda of important.

I prefer the Skyrim Main quest, cause i hated the oblivion gates, but at the same time i was way more invested in Martin's character than in Ulfric or Tulius
But Oblivion's side Quests were way better, or at least the Thieve's guild and the Dark Brotherhood (probably my favorite quest in any RPG), although the Fighter's and the Mage's guild were boring as f$%k, Shivering Isles was awesome. There was more to do than simply go into a Dungeon or fetch this or that.

The cities in Oblivion were actual cities, big, full of houses (even if you couldn't actually get into every door), full of people, they had more life.
Skyrim is fully voice acted, and i quite like that.

The new leveling system gives you a lot more freedom, wich in my opinion the more the better (more freedom in quests would have been great).

Both were kinda imcomplete and only truly achieved greatness through mods.

difficult question

but in my opinion both games are flawed as was morrowind and it took the modding community to get it right

and please don't start with morrowind was the one with the most complex npc creation because it isn't , indeed every npc had alot to tell , but if you notice they all tell you exactly the same thing with slight variations between the different factions

and indeed Skyrim was made with the console players in mind

thanks to the modding community it has become one of the best games beth ever made

sometimes i am convinced the game was made to be so highly modable with the sole intention of creating a huge modding community that would improve their game 10 fold and therefore ilprove it pc sell value for a long time

I still feel sorry for all those console players who wasted good money buying the Xbox/ps version only to find out the game is pretty medioric at best

you have not played skyrim untill you played it on a pc modded

Sadly beth stopped further development because i think there was still so many potential in the game

I have problems and things I love abut all 4 of the latest games (I'm not sure what there is to love in Arena :P ).

I hate tundra so badly you don't believe (like the Russian commenter who hates the winter scenes, I grew up in the prairie and loathe it) but I'll take Skyrim's landscapes. And obviously the AI id hugely superior. The openness of the world is also to be envied - I spend hours just wandering around hunting. Elk fear my firebolts. Building houses or claiming areas as my home, getting furniture, redecorating... All things I love in Skyrim. All things enhanced by mods, but they exist in their basic form in vanilla.

That being said, the factions in Skyrim are so shallow. Bleh. I seem to remember Oblivion being better about that. I also miss the speechcraft minigame; with that and the addition of only one Lovers mod you can literally play the game as a functional hooker. Not that it's a mark of success or anything, but it shows freedom that there isn't in Skyrim. If someone in Skyrim doesn't like you, too bad. Disposition is also now basically meaningless. :/

In Skyrim there's also almost nothing important that's mutually exclusive; with the ability to be master of all guilds and Thane of everywhere and get every skill to legendary it seems like it's geared toward completionists, and that makes me sad, because I don't want to be one.

I always preferred vanilla Oblivion to vanilla Skyrim. My reasons being:

I enjoyed the questlines and side quests much more. The Mages Guild questline in Oblivion is as long if not longer than the main questline in Skyrim

More variation. It had more monsters, animals, armors, weapons etc.

I also liked the colour scheme more. Skyrim has FAR superior graphics and the world itself is nicer, but alot of it seems grey and brown.

Skyrim is an amazing game but it's mainly those things that bothered me. I fixed them with mods though and now much prefer Skyrim.

This was obviously just my opinion though, there's plenty who like vanilla Skyrim more.

Oblivion.

Why? because the vibe of the game and the main and side quests were

more interesting and longer then in Skyrim, First,

The Dark Brotherhood in Oblivon welcomed you as a real family member, in Skyrim

it was just completing quests and nothing more, in Oblivion you were really talking to members about things

who had nothing to do with killing or other stuff and the quest was just more interesting....

Oblivion is better.

Because Puzzles.

WORDWALL

Oblivion had everything an RP-er wanted.

- Character Development (particularly, you weren't thrown into being the Hero of Kvatch, like how in Skyrim you were forced into being the Dragonborn.)

- Voice Acting

- A story, and oh what a story it was.

- The Dark Brotherhood Quest line was magnificent, and by far the best I have played so far.

- Skooma (and lots of it.)

- Unicorns.

- You had to walk places.

- Less snow. Bruma was cool, but no one enjoys a visit to Winterhold.

- Lack of puzzles.

- Diversity, play whatever the hell you want to play. I want to be an Argonian? that's not funny. I want to be a Dark Elf? Hell yeah, because Dark Elves are the most badass race there is. Want to be an Altmer? Yeah, they might look funny with the banana-shaped head, but they are really kick ass.

But there are a few things that Skyrim did do right.

- Better graphics, better immersion.

- Dragon shouts are really badass.

- Dragons are badass.

- The whole Civil War idea was really cool, despite it being a long, tedious adventure of just simply attacking forts.

- Dungeon crawling was a lot more fun and designed much better.

- The Expansions are better (well, nothing is better than the Shivering Isles) and nostalgic. Dragonborn was great, Dawnguard was decent, and Hearthfire is still better than Knights of the Nine.

- Daedric quests are really cool.

- The fact that the world doesn't freeze when you talk to someone, that's really nice.

- Radiant AI is pretty awesome.

- Look, I'm going to be honest, I really do like not having to see Argonians everywhere I go.

The biggest difference that really swayed my vote.

Skyrim is pretty Xenophobic. They don't like Mer of any kind. The Altmer (High Elves) are down right douches, and you are discouraged to play one. A variety of quest lines don't support Elvish kind.

The Companions: How much sense does it make for an Elf to wield Wuuthrad, the axe that does bonus damage to Elves, and support Ysgramor, the famous Elf destroyer?

The Stormcloaks: Is this a joke?

The MAIN STORY LINE: So, this Nordic legend happens to be a High Elf, and must serve the Nords in defending their racist and nationalist society. If you are an elf doing the main quest, it is pretty much like the 9 Divines laughing to each other going "watch this s***, we'll make some Stormcloaks unhappy."

Hearthfire: Dark Elf adopting Nord Children, some of which may have been raised to hate him before his parents died. Seems legit.

Dragonborn: Even on the Dunmer inhabited island of Solstheim, I felt out of place as an elf.

Not to mention that Argonians are technically slaves, (and by the way, anyone who thinks an Argonian can be Dragonborn simply because he has scales, you are a fool), and Khajiits aren't even supposed to be allowed in cities, so if you are a Khajiit, why can you go in? Guards are like, "yeah, that guy? He ran to Whiterun and told the Jarl a dragon was coming. He can come in WINDHELM?" Let's be realistic here.

I only felt it I could type this much, because Wordwalls are pretty lore friendly.

Cheers.

Edited by CabelD

Tough question, to answer without wordwall;

Oblivion I played right out of the box for nearly two years. When I got skyrim I had to mod it before I could play. Skyrim had terrible keyboard mouse support, terrible. It seemed in skyrim they added gfx but dimness down the game. They ruined enchanting and spell creating. Made uneccessary grinding skills like smithing, broken armor caps meaning steel is as gd ad daedric so u get no excitement from finding cool new loot as its all cruddier than what you're already wearing. For me skyrim only became playablw with miss but oblivion I enjoyed a long time unmodded. But now I have oblivion 340hrs and skyrim 380 hrs so I guess skyrim got there in the end (thanks to nexus and mod community).

But I really miss custom spells. Base magic in skyrim is disgusting, master spells are useless and no decent HUD showing cooldowns it active effects. Urgh, disgraceful.