Radio stutter

Cine_eater

i know i upped the cache to a ridiculous level, but ya know, just trying anything so i can actually listen to da radio ;)

im on xp pro, already reinstealled fallout once, was a complete clear out, didnt make much difference,

yup ive tried disabling all codecs (uninstalled all codecs and tried then reinstealled codecs cleanly) leaving only the codecs you mentioned yet i dont notice any difference

im begginging to wonder if theres something more serious with my machine that somehow fallout is picking up on, thats the only thing i can think off, possible hardware insteability or something

Edit: Maybe if i upgraded my audio card (the one that came with the motherboard may be a seperate card but i dont really think its a very strong one) to a more powerful card to offload audio processing to the audio card itself more than the cpu, what audio cards do people use that actually work with fallout properly?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know, I´m running an older pc

(amd athlon 3200+, geforce 6200, 1 gig ram, onboard sound)

I have two xp installations:

- One is my working system and this is really filthy and dirty :miner: . It was stuttering until I disabled some codecs.

- The other really extreme clean installation I created only for fallout is not stuttering until today…

don’t know witch card you could try :sweat:

first i tried installedcodec app and made no difference for me, then uninstalled my codec packs, obviously had no effect either,

and psyclops, i loved my old 3200+ system :D, just curious how does fallout 3 run on that system?

well thanks for the help everybody anyway, i think im going to try upgrading my sound card, its not the best in the world, and its not like soundcards are expensive, knowing my luck it proberly wont make any difference at all but u never know

just so ya know my plan of upgrading the audio card kinda got outa hand, i wanted to upgrade my computer anyway...

not got a lovely core i7 system, no more radio stuttering, :D:D , ironically im using onboard audio and the audio chip in this board is the same as the chip from my old board...

presemably the stuttering is gone becouse now my processor is powerful enough to make up for the audio lagging behind at the same time as fighting a horde of super mutants

Many thanks for all the help people, i might have spent a lot of money now but least i can listen to three dog lmao

• 1 month later...
You can try doubling the cache size in fallout.ini

iAudioCacheSize=4096

iMaxSizeForCachedSound=256

Taken from http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_10.html

Increasing the cache AND configuring K-Lite Codec ffdshow audio show decoder to NOT use ffdshow in Fallout 3, which can be edited in the configuration, worked wonders.

I also noted considerable improvements with fewer crashes by running chkdsk and defragging and forcing the use of swap file. Check ALL the recommendations in the tweak guide.