⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Radio stutter

Cine_eater

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey dude,

I know, it`s pain in the ass but maybe it could solve the problem, if you create a second XP-installation.

I`m running two systems:

One to work and a second there is nothing else then XP + SP3 + Driver + Fallout

On both systems I`ve installed F3. Both Systems running absolutely the same driver-versions.

Now the point: the second system has almost none sound stutter, my work-system pretty much.

Don’t know the exact reason, maybe it`s a strange codec…

I had no desire to figure it out, but I made the experience that it`s not the worst to have two F3s running ^^ (first I intended just to test several mods without any care)

but this is no guarantee :unsure:

Just download Creative ALchemy. it was made to fix certain problems that vista has with sound... or something. Anyway, just google creative ALchemy, and also, you need to have a creative sound card. I have the Creative soundblaster audigy 4, and it works fine for me on 32 bit vista. Be warned though, the download can be pretty difficult to find... haven't done it in a while, but i remember it was a female dog. hope that helps.

Cine_eater: Are you using non-vanilla mp3 files? There are a couple things you can try. You were talking about FFDShow. You can try to install a codec pack which will install it, but the problem is when it's set incorrectly, not if it hasn't been installed. If you do want to try installing FFDShow to see if it'll help, try the K-Lite Codec Pack. The Basic version installs the bare minimum files and is very easy to remove completely if you don't like it. All versions install FFDShow correctly for Fallout. I use the Standard version, but that's because I prefer MediaPlayerClassic to Windows Media Player.

If that doesn't work, try to make mono versions of your songs and use those instead of the stereo files (named as the stereo files were). My current working theory is that the game uses mono files to "track" song progress. That's why GNR's stereo mp3 tracks all have _mono mp3s as well. I recently switched out my stereo mp3 for mono mp3s (128kbps, mono, CBR), and deleted the _mono.mp3 files. I'm still testing it out, but so far it seems that the stuttering is almost completely gone.

I'm working to get this kind of dependability out of stereo files, but so far the mono songs seem significantly more dependable than stereo. My computer, which runs stereo files without much problem, is completely bulletproof when using mono instead. If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.

Pimpbot I thank you, I downloaded basic ffdshow and it recommended I removed AC3 and Xvid codecs and rebooting before installing ffdshow which I did and I thought I 'd check out Fallout again before installing ffdshow and guess what no stutter at all, I can walk through doorways and get occassional slight stutter which is removable by switching to another station and back again.It seems either AC3 or Xvid are not compatible with Fallout so I'd recommend removing any of these codecs or similar if anyone else is having the same problem.I did have an extra station that changes Agatha's violin music but these were already in mono so no problems there.

Again I thank you for putting me on the right track, kudos :thanks:

Could we try to clear the stereo / mono problem?

I already mentioned, that I m running a second xp installation. There is no ffdshow, arcsoft, AC3 or Xvid codec. I have almost no audio stutter doesn’t matter of stereo or mono mp3s. I added an stereo version of the 30s and 40s just for testing this.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2641

btw: the normal 30s and 40s edition is mono, atmo + crude are stereo. I had them running without any problems. The only thing was a short "adaption time".

If someone want to test this, please tell us all and post here:

is the sound stuttering? what version? :thanks:

I have given this file a rating of 10

Lo Cehan mod works great no trouble here.

SecretStash;

Regarding the ini audio settings from my understanding of them, the iAudioCacheSize is the total amount of memory you want to allocate for the sound buffers in total, and the iMaxSizeForCachedSound is the actual individual sound bytes KB allocation/No of channels designation amount.

The default for the iMaxSizeForCachedSound=256 KB so thats four sound byte's cached & played back for every 1MB, so 8MB assigned for the iAudioCacheSize=8192 would give you 32 channels each capable of storing 256 KB of sound data per channel.

Given how quick the average sound byte plays back in the game ie; gunshots, dropping an item, grenade explosion, etc the average sound clip file probably fits into the default iMaxSizeForCachedSound=256 quite nicely.

Bare in mind the moment you up this setting to say 512 KB you immediately half your total number of channels from the examples provided you would go from 32 channels to 16 channels.

The game has a default setting of the iAudioCacheSize=2048 again this will be for minimum system requirements setup.

So I would just adjust that to 8MB and leave the iMaxSizeForCachedSound=256 to its default, if 8MB ain't enough for you then set it to 16MB thus taking you up from 32 channels to 64 channels but be warned you have then flagged the system to run up to 64 channels play back all at the same time, this will give your system a good work out when there's a lot going on in the game.

:)

Thanks for the tip. I was unaware as to how the settings worked, but I did notice the results. I'm going to quote your advice in the radio stutter thread for the others there. Thanks.

Also, the reason for the three audio formats is as follows:

192kHz Stereo mp3 is for radio being played from pipboy

16bits, 22050Hz, Mono wav (and/or 96kHz Mono mp3) is for radio being played from radios and jukeboxes (mono allows for a singular in-game source to have stereo sound determined by your character's relationship to it).

Also, the reason for the three audio formats is as follows:

192kHz Stereo mp3 is for radio being played from pipboy

16bits, 22050Hz, Mono wav (and/or 96kHz Mono mp3) is for radio being played from radios and jukeboxes (mono allows for a singular in-game source to have stereo sound determined by your character's relationship to it).

Some dudes say, that the stuttering disappears after converting all mp3s (also vanilla) to mono. I think this is not the basic reason for audio stuttering, because I use stereo mp3s without any probs.

So it must be a codec.

But you are right, the game uses mono files for wastelandradios to create souround feeling, so you can run around and the sound comes out of only one box of your stereo unit :)