[wip/recruitment] The Changing Seasons of Skyrim

snapmoderator

Each land texture is assigned its own texture set. These texture sets can be changed in-game with the function 'SetNthTexturePath(int n, string texturePath)' This function can also be used for any other static objects. But not trees, flora or grass :(. Also, this will not be gradual and the textures will change immediately (on new cell load). So I suggest creating a few 'transition' textures between seasons. Also LOD will be a problem, I don't expect that there will be any way at all to gradually change lod textures, and so it will have to change when the player sleeps or enters an interior. The only solution for lods is to store each seasons lod textures in the lod folder, and rename the required seasons folder to tamriel, with the use of scripts. Im not sure if this is possible, and If it is, then it will definately require SKSE.

(sorry if this is a bit incoherent, I'm just scribbling down ideas :P )

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each land texture is assigned its own texture set. These texture sets can be changed in-game with the function 'SetNthTexturePath(int n, string texturePath)' This function can also be used for any other static objects. But not trees, flora or grass :sad:. Also, this will not be gradual and the textures will change immediately (on new cell load). So I suggest creating a few 'transition' textures between seasons. Also LOD will be a problem, I don't expect that there will be any way at all to gradually change lod textures, and so it will have to change when the player sleeps or enters an interior. The only solution for lods is to store each seasons lod textures in the lod folder, and rename the required seasons folder to tamriel, with the use of scripts. Im not sure if this is possible, and If it is, then it will definately require SKSE.

(sorry if this is a bit incoherent, I'm just scribbling down ideas :tongue: )

this is why I said landscape textures would be easy snap. :P it's basically exactly what I was thinking of doing.

I have a really long post regarding my part of the job (flora, environment, landscape textures, etc.). It's not ready yet.

I do want to confirm though that associated grass meshes will change when the landscape texture changes. I can make a lot of different textures and meshes they just need a proper naming system to follow.

I think out loud in post, so scribbling is not a problem round these parts :)

Yeah, I'm looking at LOD at the moment for another mod. I think the object lod is pretty much ok. If we can get a SKSE call to changes the Material Objects, then we can change the SnowLODMaterial and SnowLODMaterialHD to change to have lighter and heavier snow in the background.

Haven't looked at tree lod or landscape lod yet. As you say might have to be a new SKSE functionality to read in different textures (sets). Hopefully tree lod is as simply as being able to change the tamrieltreelod.dds

Granted we will probably only have the four seasons for landscape lod. At about 120mb for each one, even though we could do as many transitions as we want, we need to be considerate on actual size of the download. Lets use default Skyrim as autumn for saving space. So at some stage you'll get a switch over. If its too obvious then we might just have to bite the bullets and go for 8 sets.

I do want to confirm though that associated grass meshes will change when the landscape texture changes.

I thinking (guessing) SetNthTexturePath(int n, string texturePath) will only change the texture, so this is not changing the Landtexture itself which holds the associated grasses, so I'd say not.

I think we will need to have some SKSE functionality either change the grasses for a LandTexture, or actually change the model path of the grasses themselves.

I can make a lot of different textures and meshes they just need a proper naming system to follow.

As for naming conventions I was thinking going with the calender months of Tamriel rather than seasons, so that would be 12 transitions for ground textures. Morning Star, Sun's Dawn, First Seed, Rain's Hand, Second Seed, Mid Year, Sun's Height, Last Seed, Heartfire, Frostfall, Sun's Dusk, Evening Star. But if we want more than we can go with:

"meshes\seasons\MorningStar1", "textures\seasons\MorningStar1", "meshes\seasons\MorningStar2", "textures\seasons\MorningStar2", etc

We can keep model and texture file names the same, its just the folders that separates them.

Even if we choose 12 or 24, or whatever number for ground textures, other changes can happen on a daily basis still. For example grass can change density, height, colour on a daily basis. Snow directional shaders will be updated daily.

Most models can go into the "meshes\seasons\" (or whatever we decide), except the grasses. Stupid engine limitation means that you have to put it into the "meshes\landscape\grass" folder. So maybe go with "meshes\landscape\grass\seasons\MorningStar1\", etc? The textures can go into the (for example) "textures\seasons\MorningStar1\landscape\grass\", no limits there, and I want to keep files as tight as possible.

Edited by snapmoderator

How about Spanking Sublime Seasons of Skyrim xD

or... splendid seasons

or Sup3r S33zons M0d 2013!!

Adaptive landscapes?

Changing Climates?

Living Landscapes?

Edited by Soolie