[wip/recruitment] The Changing Seasons of Skyrim

snapmoderator

We also might be able to change alpha opacity variables on models using SKSE, which will be excellent for grass, trees and plants for varying levels of dying and growing. Here is an example of aspen tree minimum and maximum opacity, so although not a huge difference, enough that we have another tool up our sleeves for gradual changes.

http://i.imgur.com/5Lvv1xJ.jpg

Edited by snapmoderator

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this is a recruitment thread we are going to need somebody to help out with creating a series of alpha changes for trees and plants for removable of leaves. If you can imagine doing a sequence of these for each tree so that eventually there will be no leaves at all. Very easy but we are trying to spread work load, so please sign up to become part of the team.

http://i.imgur.com/efDweRE.gif

Because this is a recruitment thread we are going to need somebody to help out with creating a series of alpha changes for trees and plants for removable of leaves. If you can imagine doing a sequence of these for each tree so that eventually there will be no leaves at all. Very easy but we are trying to spread work load, so please sign up to become part of the team.

I can have a go at that later if you want Snap, I've got a few ideas up my sleevies :3

Yeah of course Soolie :) Added you to the team. Maybe before you do anything we should establish what trees we are actually going to use. It might not be that we choose the vanilla trees. I was saying in my first thread that I want at least one tree that would blossom in summer and spring.

What do people think about tree selection? Default or use modders resources?

Modders resource. Like you said about weather, we don't want to re-invent the wheel. Vurt's Flora Overhaul would be a good start. His mod is super popular and it looks great. Plus, we do want to remain compatible in some sense with major overhauls such as this. He has given permission to lot's of people to use his assets (I have permission to use his custom tree meshes in my Unique Trees mod). It would give us a good start.

Also, for pine trees I would suggest this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/43677

In the comments I asked if it was a modders resource and he said yes. Cool thing, since they have lower branches now, we could do some fancy shader/mesh trick to add snow on them during winter months.

I noticed this on the first post:

• Texturing of ground textures for transitions. Adding leafs and snow to ground textures to show gradually changes between seasons. Number of different textures to be determined as yet.
  • Somebody to take ownership of aesthetic of trees and/or plants. A tree changing through the seasons includes textures going from more/less leaves, more/less snow cover, and changing colours. We might be able to change the colour of the textures via model manipulation so this might save time and number of textures. Although we want to remain faithful to Skyrim, being as that its mostly Aspens and Pines, it would be nice to have at least one set of trees that blossoms flowers.

Like we have discussed, I will be doing grass and stuff but count me in on these also. I am doing both my Unique Plants and Trees mod so I am prepared for these also. In fact, we can fully incorporate certain aspects of my mod into this mod if we want.

I am doing both my Unique Plants and Trees mod so I am prepared for these also. In fact, we can fully incorporate certain aspects of my mod into this mod if we want.

Ok that is brilliant! Soolie mentioned in his post above that he can help out with potentially doing a series of alphas for trees, so lets just make sure we have good communication on what we are doing :)

As far as compatibility goes, we have to serious weigh up what that means. Because we are altering models and textures, the answer is probably not, as quite often these overhauls are specific. Also we are really controlling our own looks to get the seasons right, so trying to make them meld to other peoples overhauls is sounding like too much. Better to make most of what people like about those overhauls and incorporate them into this mod as best as possible. Vurt's Flora Overhaul we use the resources as best as possible for our spring/summer or whatever, so people feel like they are not missing out. Full credit of course to Vurt and others with permission.

On a side note, we could call the mod "Changing Seasons of Skyrim" (cut off "the") and we can all start advertising a bit with our various other mods. Make a logo type thing. Gather momentum. Or do you think we should just go under the radar until its finished?

Edited by snapmoderator

After a bit of playing around with the alpha Chanel I got this :)

http://i.imgur.com/l4PAfzK.png

The alpha Threshold can then be changed to control leaf density Like this

(Color is something I added just because I can :P )

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/11-15-2013/oQIhRU.gif

I think we should stay under the radar just for a while.

It probably wouldn't be wise to advertise such a grand mod... only to realize down the track that it wont work due to SKSE problems or something.

Perhaps we should wait until we have some working content first :smile:

Also I Would be happy to manage the "overall appearance" of the environment. Such as what trees will go where and during which seasons, and also the general 'visuals' for each season. I've had quite a lot of experience with this sort of work from tropical skyrim, So If I can change it from snowy to tropical.. then I should be able to change it from snowy to slightly warm right? :P

Edited by Soolie