[wip/recruitment] The Changing Seasons of Skyrim

snapmoderator

Yes, not only that but it's not that hard to change a specific color. You can get really great results by just placing a hue/saturation layer on a texture. After that, for aspen leaves, change the hue for yellow to turn green. It's selective color adjustments. Unless we can change the values in the .nif's with SKSE - it might be just as fast or faster to make color adjustments in photoshop.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we all agree that when making the assets we won't settle for anything less than 2K textures? I think it's best to work with HQ textures and then release with the performance version (and a HD optional). To many mods work from the beginning with low res assets.

Hey guys, sorry for the OT, but are you still working on your Real Clouds mod Soolie? (Sorry if rude) Also Josh, you should link this to the STEP forums. I am sure some of the folk over there would love to see this and help.

Edited by James4832

Ok, I think you're right the emissive and spec colors will probably only be good for "Changing Seasons of Radioactive :nuke: Skyrim" lol

I was hoping some subtle changes without too many textures, but from your example of leaves falling there are not that many transitions that we need.

I'm happy with 2k textures as the base. Skyrim modding is at that stage where most people who are still interested in playing are wanting to max out their experience. Once again we have a wealth of resources to choose from, so permission granted lets try and get what we consider the best.

I have not tried any SKSE functionality yet, I was hoping tinymight would look at that for proof of concept, but he won't be able to look at it until next week. I've downloaded the source code and had a look through to see if there are some of the properties that we are after and there most certainly is. Its just a case of how does the game handle changes to the data. I.e. will new cell loads be enough for the changes to occur in the actual game itself. Lets prey to the game gods that it does :thumbsup:

Edited by snapmoderator

Thanks Spanian!

Guys, I was just thinking that we need to decide and write down file hierarchy for the mod. We want to keep it simple. It would be great to keep it self explanatory so users can replace textures with their own. Any ideas?

Its looking likely that it will be called "Changing Seasons of Skyrim" so we can go with "CSS" as the abbreviation.

So we could put files into the folder "meshes\css\...", "textures\css\..."

If a file was normally under "meshes\landscape\" it could be under "meshes\css\MorningStar1\landscape" for example.

I did a tiny bit of experimenting with TextureSet decals, the same technique used to apply blood splatter to the ground.

The reason I'm mentioning it, is to decipher whether users can potential use any ground texture and we can overlay snow, leaves, dirt, etc at runtime. This will save a lot of grief with users wanting specific textures, sizes, etc.

But initial results are that probably trying to apply them on such a mass scale and dynamically might prove too much difficultly. We should assume that we are going to go with pre-generated textures at this stage.