[wip/recruitment] The Changing Seasons of Skyrim

snapmoderator

No, no, no. :smile: I don't mean to say making our mod compatible all other major overhauls. What I mean is to incorporate other mods into ours (with author permissions of course).

Better to make most of what people like about those overhauls and incorporate them into this mod as best as possible. Vurt's Flora Overhaul we use the resources as best as possible for our spring/summer or whatever, so people feel like they are not missing out. Full credit of course to Vurt and others with permission.

I think what you said here is exactly what I just said. I agree with this. Of course, the most obvious thing to take from Vurt is his trees and tree textures. Maybe not his grass (or not all of it, he has some nice flowers which would be cool to use for Spring and Summer).

Basically, we want to consider asking permission and incorporating mods like SFO so people still get what they love. It also come down to what we want in our game and what we don't want to lose. For me, SFO has some important parts that I would hate to lose (lupins, pine tree textures, aspens, etc). But this is why we are discussing. :D

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I Would be happy to manage the "overall appearance" of the environment. Such as what trees will go where and during which seasons, and also the general 'visuals' for each season. I've had quite a lot of experience with this sort of work from tropical skyrim, So If I can change it from snowy to tropical.. then I should be able to change it from snowy to slightly warm right? :tongue:

Could I collaborate on that with you Soolie? Especially if I will be making the various textures for grass, landscape, plants, etc.

Guys, Flickr is your friend. Making various image searches there will turn up a lot of good photos to use as inspiration.

Also I Would be happy to manage the "overall appearance" of the environment. Such as what trees will go where and during which seasons, and also the general 'visuals' for each season. I've had quite a lot of experience with this sort of work from tropical skyrim, So If I can change it from snowy to tropical.. then I should be able to change it from snowy to slightly warm right? :tongue:

Could I collaborate on that with you Soolie? Especially if I will be making the various textures for grass, landscape, plants, etc.

Guys, Flickr is your friend. Making various image searches there will turn up a lot of god photos to use as inspiration.

Of course ^,^ I'm not suggesting that I do all that by myself :P Just that I could plan out the overall Visuals for the mod :3

That looks perfect!! Is that animated gif just from changing the alpha threshold? If so that's one alpha texture to handle the entire seasons, minus say a tree that blooms flowers. Have to think about snow on leaves as well.

Also I Would be happy to manage the "overall appearance" of the environment.

Make sure you work with joshezzell on overall looks as he mentioned in his post above that he is doing "Unique Trees" and "Unique Plants" mods, and has already done "Unique Grasses". So both of you in combination should be able to flesh out the overall looks and spread work load.

Agreed about not advertising, although we need as much help as possible. Think in terms of the next phases of development like creature seasonal looks and getting experienced modders who have done creature AI before to handle seasonal behaviors, etc. Also weather and lighting modders.

We should aim to do a proof of concept. Pick a tree and make it change through the entire seasons in game.

Edited by snapmoderator

That looks perfect!! Is that animated gif just from changing the alpha threshold? If so that's one alpha texture to handle the entire seasons, minus say a tree that blooms flowers. Have to think about snow on leaves as well.

It is indeed :3 However, I changed the color myself in photoshop

Also how are things going in the SKSE department? :)

Edited by Soolie

We should try changing the BSLightingShaderProperty Emissive Color and Specular Color to see what sort of results we can get out of NIF shaders rather than texture changes for an experiment.

As in making the colors change? It's worth a try but I see it becoming a problem. It's kinda like vertex color on a mesh, to heavy a tint and it looks like a color overlay. Editing the texture directly to change the color results in much a much more accurate texture.

Like I said though, let's try what makes life easier.

We should try changing the BSLightingShaderProperty Emissive Color and Specular Color to see what sort of results we can get out of NIF shaders rather than texture changes for an experiment.

As in making the colors change? It's worth a try but I see it becoming a problem. It's kinda like vertex color on a mesh, to heavy a tint and it looks like a color overlay. Editing the texture directly to change the color results in much a much more accurate texture.

Like I said though, let's try what makes life easier.

I have a feeling different textures will be the way to go here. Also Using the emissive color will probably cause the trees to glow in the dark :P