IE 11 update (KB2670838) for Windows 7 strikes again?

edgeburner

I decided to install IE 11 the other day (even though I never use IE) and guess what? FNV started crashing consistently after only about 10 minutes of gameplay....Off of 5 different saves. Now, FNV has been running as smooth as butter on my machine for over a week, I haven't altered the game in any way shape of form in that time frame. Since I had the exact same issues with Oblivion after installing IE 10 last winter (which employs that very same update) I decided to uninstall the update (which takes IE 11 with it) and guess what? Not a single crash in two days. I have now 'hidden'
(KB2670838) to make sure it doesn't auto-install somehow.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with (KB2670838) or, if anybody is aware of a workaround? I haven't been able to find anything. Seems odd to me that this 'bug' could still persist through 9 months and two IE rollouts? Then again, it is Microsoft. :)

Thanks.

Just for fun, I updated to IE 11. My main browser (for things not involving money) is Chrome. However I use IE for money (shopping, paypal, ebay, net-bank).

I had no problems at all. Everything worked just as well as before if not better. Caveat my system is fully patched with current drivers for everything including my video card drivers (there is no such thing as GPU drivers, the GPU is just a component of your video card).

If your system is in order, it would seem this update does nothing but 'as-advertised'.

In my experience 99.99% of posts which blame Microsoft for their problems are not pointing their fingers the right direction.

Version installed 11.0.9600.16428. Installed via kb2841134. This update did not auto-install. I went in and manually selected it to see if this issue was indeed a MSFT bug or more likely operator error.

I am not a current Microsoft employee and have no current (or recent) affiliation with them. I am not a MSFT fan boy either. I own an iPad as my tablet and an Android OS phone, I just use what works with little if any brand concerns.

IE11 works just fine for me. I installed on my son's and wife's PCs and everything is working fine for them too.

jim uk,

Strange thing happened concerning my GPU.....I had updated my drivers about a month ago, after installing and unintalling that IE update, my CCC ( I run an AMD based system) got borked. It's icon dissapeared from the systerm tray. Both Process Explorer and the Windows task manager listed it as running, but with less than half the resources it normally consumes. I couldn't open it at all. I had to reinstall my GPU drivers to remedy this occurrence. I cannot doccument the update as the culprit, but after some Googling, it seems the issues caused by (KB2670838) are widespread and varied...and not redtricted to only AMD based systems.

bjornl,

My system is' in order'. I have never had issue with any other Microsoft update. I In fact, the first time this occured, my system was only a month old....damn near virgin. I have reinstalled graphics drivers many times on more than one system, i am aware of the full uninstall and reinstall process. I also installed this update manually....Twice. Also, the fact the Microsoft has admitted to the issues merits the "blaming microft" post.

bjornl,

My system is' in order'. I have never had issue with any other Microsoft update. I In fact, the first time this occured, my system was only a month old....damn near virgin. I have reinstalled graphics drivers many times on more than one system, i am aware of the full uninstall and reinstall process. I also installed this update manually....Twice. Also, the fact the Microsoft has admitted to the issues merits the "blaming microft" post.

1 month old, 1 day old.... neither ensure your PC is in order. I have seen PCs come back 'broken' the same day it was turned over to the end user.

As for Microsoft saying this patch is defective. That is not what they said. They describe the issue here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838 If you read it you will see that there is an issue with SOME but not ALL laptops (and only laptops). It seems to have an issue with some mobility versions of graphics chipsets, mainly those who use dual chipsets (1 for low energy use, 1 for performance).

If you see what this patch does I wonder how did you get the idea that this was an IE 11 thing? More to the point how did you get the patch?

It is not required by IE 11, in fact it has nothing to do with IE 11. It is a system update to the windows video and graphics:

The Platform Update for Windows 7 enables improved features and performance on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. It includes updates to the following components: Direct2D, DirectWrite, Direct3D, Windows Imaging Component (WIC), Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP), Windows Animation Manager (WAM), XPS Document API , the H.264 Video Decoder and the JPEG XR Codec.

I've installed IE 11 on 5 PCs now and the patch/KB you mentioned is not installed on any of them. As an IT guy I keep our PCs patched. I patch my main PC on release day and everyone else the following the following day (to make sure there are no issues). I very rarely decline any update except those related to toolbars or desktop 'dressup'. None of the PCs in my house have KB2670838 yet all of them have IE 11. I did not decline that update. I did not procrastinate and miss it. I live in the region which receives MSFT patches 1st. I also did not go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805 and manually track down the patch and install it.

You misidentify a graphics system update.

This patch was not pushed to any PCs I have access to.

Your defense was that you just bought the PC. Which has nothing to do with whatever issue you were having.

I'm unconvinced this was anything but operator error; and blaming mean 'ole Microsoft is more fun then owning up to mistakes.

I am not advocating you get this KB nor am I suggesting you need IE 11. I am just saying it seems far more likely you made a mistake then Microsoft given you don't even know what the patch is for.

1 month old, 1 day old.... neither ensure your PC is in order. I have seen PCs come back 'broken' the same day it was turned over to the end user.

Acutally , this pc was built by an IT professional with about twenty years of experience who is a personal freind. I was was there when he Instaelled and updated everything, graphics card drivers, chipsset drivers, OS ect, set the RAM timings, ect, and put it through a 48 hr stress test. (BTW, my machine is a desktop)

This update installed itself with IE 11. As I stated before, when I deleted the update, IE 11 went with it. Just like with IE 10. Perhaps it is some sort of prerequisite? I don't know, nor do I care as I don't use IE and IE 11 it's not going back on my machine....at least unil Microsoftt stops supporting IE 9 which, i believe will be 2020?

And again, FNV was running like a charm until I installed IE 11 then it stared crashing literally within 10 to 15 minutes of gameplay, and, after uninstalling that patch , it runs like a charm again....As I stated before, nothing, absolutely nothing else was done to the system or hardware in that timeframe.

Seems odd to me that the issue I had with Oblivion and IE 10 installation, then, the exect same issue FNV and IE 11 installation (both of which installed (KB2670838) are mere coincidence.

Edited by edgeburner

If you see what this patch does I wonder how did you get the idea that this was an IE 11 thing? More to the point how did you get the patch?

It is not required by IE 11, in fact it has nothing to do with IE 11. It is a system update to the windows video and graphics:

Turns out it is a prereq....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2847882

Acutally , this pc was built by an IT professional with about twenty years of experience who is a personal freind.

Turns out it is a prereq....

Strange that it is listed as a prereq and did not end up on any of my PCs. Given that, I'm sorry. I was wrong. Since it is listed there as a pre-req it most certainly was pushed to some (or maybe most) PCs.

Without trying to flog a well-dead horse, your friend being skilled was not the issue. I've well over 20 years experience (including 10 working with creating the innards of windows (drivers)) and recently have worked more watching jr. personnel then hands on, but from time to time I still like getting my 'hands dirty'; and I have handed over brand new working PCs and taken them back the same day. The state the PC was in when delivered has very little to do with the state it is in within a relatively short time. The main reason is the 'ooh shiny' syndrome where some people just can't resist clicking on stuff or engaging in other risky behavior.

Back on your case. Given that despite how you got this patch, it is a graphics patch which according to MSFT has problems on a rather select bunch of PCs with mobile graphics it is strange that you have problems. It should (in theory) work as well for you as it has for the PCs I tested IE 11 on. Just for fun, I went and manually installed KB2670838 on my desktop and still no problems. My graphics card is a 7870 with current drivers; and all the chipsets which have problems with this other then the dual NVidia/Intel are AMD... my Son and wife are also AMD but the laptops are all NVidia (the one with dual graphics has the intel one disabled in bios). Do you have a motherboard with both onboard graphics as well as a discrete video card? If so you might be hitting the dual Intel/NVidia issue; in which case I'd suggest you check that the Intel is disabled. If you have an AMD based video card then you might want to check which drivers you have and how they are configured; since if this is the case you are somehow hitting a bug only AMD mobility chipsets seem to be having.

Just for fun, I updated to IE 11. My main browser (for things not involving money) is Chrome. However I use IE for money (shopping, paypal, ebay, net-bank).

I had no problems at all. Everything worked just as well as before if not better. Caveat my system is fully patched with current drivers for everything including my video card drivers (there is no such thing as GPU drivers, the GPU is just a component of your video card).

If your system is in order, it would seem this update does nothing but 'as-advertised'.

In my experience 99.99% of posts which blame Microsoft for their problems are not pointing their fingers the right direction.

Version installed 11.0.9600.16428. Installed via kb2841134. This update did not auto-install. I went in and manually selected it to see if this issue was indeed a MSFT bug or more likely operator error.

I am not a current Microsoft employee and have no current (or recent) affiliation with them. I am not a MSFT fan boy either. I own an iPad as my tablet and an Android OS phone, I just use what works with little if any brand concerns.

IE11 works just fine for me. I installed on my son's and wife's PCs and everything is working fine for them too.

A lot of people have been having problems with it, a quick visit to Microsofts forums is proof enough of that. I don't know if I have the update or not, I don't use internet explorer on my gaming PC.