⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

IE 11 update (KB2670838) for Windows 7 strikes again?

edgeburner

No apology necessary.

I also understand about your 'ohh shinny' reference, I assure you I am not one of those folks who thow programs on their PC willy nilly without looking before they leap. Though I am not a trained IT pro, I am no novice when it comes to copmuters. I posses more PC related knowledge than the average joe or jane....so to speak.

My MoBo does not have an onboard graphics chip (Asus M5A97) and I am running an ASUS, HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2, Radeon HD 7770 1020MHz, 1GB GDDR5 4600MHz dedecated graphics card with the latest drivers. This card is factory overclocked to the 1020 MHz mentioned, but I don't think that is the issue. I have done no OCing via the BIOS or the GPU tweak program that came with the cards software installation disk.

I didn't leave IE 11 on long enough to test it for everyday and gaming use, but, when I installed IE10 last winter, the only issue was with TES Oblivion ( i did not own FNV at that time)...everthing else was fine, which I why I posted this here... to see if anyone else was (or has) experienced similar issues.

Edited by edgeburner

A lot of people have been having problems with it, a quick visit to Microsofts forums is proof enough of that. I don't know if I have the update or not, I don't use internet explorer on my gaming PC.

The problem is checking on MSFT's forums if there is a problem with a patch is not a very reliable way to find out. The problem is 'math'. Microsoft has around a 95% total user market share (Mac = 2-6% depending on market, and linux is around 0.25%). There are probably around 1-2 billion computers in the world. I think we'd all agree something which works for 99.999% of people works as it should. So if .001% of the PC user have a problem (which would be 1.5billion x .0001) then around 150,000 people have a problem, a large number. One of my professors many many years ago said around 20% of people are likely to complain about a problem unless they have no other recourse.... So assume that number of people care enough to post. That is 30,000 unique posters complaining. A very large number yet the problem is itself statistically insignificant. You can follow it for a while and get a feel for it, or there are companies like Symantec (and many others) which issue adviseries if there are known issues, as well as MSFT generally being pretty quick to point out problems. (which they did in this case).

Obviously you could get a ball-park feel for things by looking at the threads for 4-5 similar patches ideally released at more or less the same time (or allow for the different days being deployed) to get at least somewhat of a feel for it. I assume this is what you did.

To check if you have the patch which caused problem do the following:

Open your control panel

select Programs

select Programs and Features

click on View Updates

scroll down past the security updates and you will see "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB2670838)"

I know how to find out what I updates I have, I don't have an issue so why would I look for it? this update does or did cause an issue for people, it's not the first time an update has been problematic and it won't be the last, PCs and their OS's are complex so things will go wrong from time to time. The OP had an issue with his game and has found a solution, that information could be useful to others, just because you haven't had a problem it doesn't follow that no one else has or it's their fault if they have. Most PC problems do occur between the chair and the keyboard but that's not always the case.

If you'd spent as much time reading as googling you'd know that my testing was not based on 'a' PC and not only did I already acknowledge that the OP's case was not user-error, I apologized for my assumption that it was. Why you continue to flog this dead horse escapes me. As for your profession of ignorance and then umbrage at being informed how to obtain info you said you lacked... well I wish I could apologize for that too, but it would not be very sincere. If you claim ignorance on a subject you really need to be able to receive a short and simple guided instruction without trying to be whatever it is you're trying to be here. Note that I did not comment on why you did not know if you had the patch installed, I only provided simple steps which you could follow if you wished. Most would consider that a courtesy.

I am quite sure you will feel compelled to get the last word, please don't take offense if I chose not to engage you further on this subject as these sorts of discussions are not terribly interesting.

You really need to stop being so condescending, it gets peoples backs up. You told the OP to get his machine in order, if that isn't blaming him I don't know what is. As for the last word, I'll reply if I think your post needs a reply, if I don't I won't.