LOOT - can it be trusted?

Deleted4610270User

Can it? When I use Mod Manager and let the latest LOOT sort the ESP files, the resulting order is a giant mess, with many items loading way wrong, I mean WAAY wrong. For example, several ESP's require patches that should be loaded AFTER the main ESP file, but LOOT does the opposite. It wants to load the patch first, then load a ton other un-related ESP's and only then load the main ESP for that patch file... So far I have no issues with custom load order that I have, based on mods' recommendations. Should I bother with LOOT then???

I also wish I could sort with LOOT to see the order it suggests and then press some BACK button to get back to the order I had before sorting with LOOT. There is no such button and I am forced to re-sort more than 100 mods by hand, which is why I stay the hell away from LOOT...

NMM includes a export load order function. That may be what you are looking for.

BTW: LOOT order is not supposed to be exactly the same as BOSS - and load order is not an absolute. There is no ONE order, many mods don't matter where they load, others are sensitive to just one or a few other mods. Don't assume a load order must be wrong because it doesn't look like you think it should - try it first.

And LOOT remembers when you make the change using the edit metadata in LOOT. My guess is you have been exiting loot to make your manual changes.

Can it? When I use Mod Manager and let the latest LOOT sort the ESP files, the resulting order is a giant mess, with many items loading way wrong, I mean WAAY wrong. For example, several ESP's require patches that should be loaded AFTER the main ESP file, but LOOT does the opposite.

Sounds like loot is missing metadata for the patch. Enter your patch name in the search box here https://loot.github.io/search/ and see if it finds anything.

You can add a local rule yourself fairly easily if its not in the master list, find the patch in loots list and click on the 3-dots thingie, then select "edit metadata", then select the "load after" tab and add the name of the mod being patched [note this assumes your using the full version not the default plugin version that comes with MO].

If you want something to gravitate to the top or bottom of your load order generally the you can can enable "global priority" (again in the individual mod/patch metadata dialog) and set a priority value e.g. -100 will make it float to the top and +100 to the bottom. Obviously any explicit rules, local or from master list, will take precedence over the priority based ordering (which is really more like a hint).

Honestly your much better off working with loot by adding your own rules than trying to fight it.

Also if youve found some genuine dependencies that arnt in the master list then consider submitting a pull request on git to get the ML updated (or you if your not set up to do that then post it here and I'll do it for you).

Edited by pncampbell

Actually, I use Mod Organizer that allows me to backup my current load order and that means I can at least experiment with LOOT order. Even when LOOT has the metadata for the patches and updates, it still loads the mod order incorrectly, disregarding what mod developers suggest. For example, Realistic Lighting Overhaul (RLO) developer provided a very specific load order for its mod. LOOT arranges RLO completely out of whack, loading patches ahead of the main file, disregarding developer's load order rules. Then there are 2-3 compatibility sound mods with 4-5 ESP files that have to be specifically loaded around RLO files to work properly. LOOT completely disregards that and arranges files way waaaay out of correct order. I don't want to bash LOOT, but if you need to create special rules and change its current rules, etc., then what is it good for? Just the most popular basic mods that have no compatibility patch requirements with other mods? Doesn't seem all that useful...

I just wondered whether LOOT could improve performance by creating a more optimized load order. I followed every mod installation ReadMe's very carefully. Nothing is broken for me. Everything works as it should. However, I have 25GB worth of mods with everything maxed the hell out, ENB using the highest quality + original processing for HBAO+ , 4K-8K texture packs, and just a TON of graphics-improving stuff. I am on i7 3770K @ 4800Mhz, 16GB 2200Mhz RAM, MSI GeForce GTX 980 4G (4GB) @ 1550Mhz GPU & 8000Mhz vRAM, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, and Windows 8.1 x64 (fully updated). I get decent 40-50fps @ 1080p, but I also get stuttering when I make 180 degree turn in heavily graphics-populated areas. I kept my uGrid @ 5 to prevent crashes. I rarely get crashes (maybe 1 every 10-15hrs). ENBLocal.ini and ENBSeries.ini are also optimized for high quality + whatever performance-improving tweaks that do not lower or affect quality. I guess I should drop that 8192 resolution for all shadows, but even @ 8192 shadows suck, unless you reduce shadow draw distance and there is no known mod that allows for high quality shadows. I also used Footprints mod that is supposedly heavy on performance, but it just got an update 2-3 days ago and now uses fewer scrips, which means better performance. MSI AfterBurner reports vRAM usage of 3800MB+... Skyrim is playable, but I hate the 180 degree turn stuttering...

Edited by Guest

Load order has almost nothing to do with performance.

Footprints has not been updated since February 2013.

LOOT has always done right by me.

It's possible that the highly specific load orders those modders recommend are either irrelevant or subjective, meaning LOOT wouldn't help you.

The load order of most mods is irrelevant.