Am I the only person who DOESN'T use the Mod managers?

Legendary4kh

I really don't understand how people use the nexus mod manager or the programs to troubleshoot which mods overite stuff other ones do or need to be placed in different order. I've always done everything manually and I'm just wondering who all else does the same.

I really find windows to already be organized enough for me to manually go into folders and delete what all is related to a mod. And most mods include something like their username or something in the filenames so it's easy to search and delete them. I used to have problems with leaving mod pieces left over but now I'm pretty good all that and with knowing what to install, what order it should be in and what works with what.

and honestly, since the nexus mod manager doesn't automatically register mods (that were all downloaded from their site, but not with the mod manager) I will never use it. I have used it, i understand how it works, and I don't like it.

Back in the days of morrowind, you didn't get a choice. :) I think Oblivion mod manager was the first to start doing installs, and then, scripted installs.....

99% of the time, I install mods manually. There are instances though, when there are a lot of choices, and some of them critical, (installing FCOM, for instance) I will use what's available.

I used to for about 3 months of playing Oblivion, then immediately switched to OBMM. You try installing Enhanced Economy and tweaking it perfectly without OBMM XD

Best installation (over convenience): download a mod > unpack to an external directory > install the esp/esm only to the data folder > use a BSA creator for installation of assets, exemption of voice files > save to the data folder of the same name as the mod > maybe a load order tool if you're not sure > bashed patch for certainty = GOLDEN!

Mod managers are for noobs with too many troubleshooting issues.

You still need some sort of mod manager for Oblivion, if you mod to the point of having 136GB in yer OBlivion folder. :whistling:

Wrye is the way to go, you can use most modern Fomods as BAIN folders...still works. But I still do like Ironman5000 suggested: unpack to external, repack to bsa. But I have space to use, and more than a single drive.

Unless the mod has a complicated fomod installer folder structure, I manually install all of my mods, then use wyre bash to tweak my load order.

Most people will think i am weird, but personally I never screw up my installations (after months of practice) and I have a tool for anything else I may need. I also almost never have problems with my game that I cannot solve by myself.

The same cannot be said for the majority of new Mod Organizer users, or NMM users.