Nexus hits 2.5 million registered members, competition ending soon

Dark0ne

In the early hours of the morning of the 2nd of October 2011 the Nexus sites hit their latest registered member milestone of 2,500,000, just a couple of months past the 10 year anniversary of the sites. Recording for the current number of members originally began back in July of 2003 when Morrowind Chronicles became Morrowind Source and I moved to using Invision Board from YaBB. I'm not sure there are any still-active members from that period in the site's history, but I'd love to hear from you if you were here.

The last milestone, 1 million members, was reached in June of 2009 so the membership of the sites has increased by 150% in less than 2 and a half years. Naturally I'm very happy that lots of members and mod authors, old and new, are still enjoying and using the sites. I hope the sites can still be here when we reach the next member milestone that I'm setting at 5 million members.

As with the last milestone I have been running a modding competition free for all to enter. The prize fund for this competition has been set at $1,500 split between Oblivion, New Vegas and Dragon Age (1 or 2). As per the terms the closing date for this competition is 10 days from the day the sites reach 2.5 million members. Ergo, the closing date for the modding competition is Wednesday, the 12th of October at 23:59 GMT and you must have a file page and your mod uploaded in the competition category before this time to be accepted for the competition. Any entries uploaded after this date will not be judged and will not be able to win any of the prizes.

If you are entering the competition you will find a new file category has been created for you to upload your mod to. You can either upload your mod and set it to hidden so no one else can see it (I will still be able to see it) or you can upload it for anyone to see if you don't mind. You won't be penalised whichever option you choose but I will not be reading or following any comments or endorsements on your file pages so I can remain impartial when judging.

I'd like to say a quick thank you to all the people who volunteer their time to support the site, be it the great moderation team here or the regular members who help us keep the site clean with their reports and words of encouragement. 10 years, don't they go by in a blink?

Congratulations, Nexus! And congratulations, Robin!

It's a pleasure to be involved with a site, and a Community of Users, as passionate about gaming as the one found here. But that wouldn't have been possible for even the first 25, (let alone 2,500,000) members without the vision and dedication of a single individual -- you, Dark0ne.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

It's no wonder that you get buy-out offers so regularly. Congratulations, and may the Nexus continue to grow.

Cheers guys.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zLt-4JAbCqk/TY9Y6jDSfvI/AAAAAAAABPA/6eXTDgbMik0/s1600/234357_228453_beer_cheers1.jpg

Didn't get anything done as an entry for this modding competition, but there is always the 5 million members competition :thumbsup: . Hopefully I will have something then...

Just to toss in the disclaimer...

It's not 2.5m active members, just ~2.5m accounts created*. Out of about 762,000 registered members** have been active within the last year, with about 70,000 in the last month. The active forum participation is only about 6,000 people, with ~11,000 people who have made any posts in the last month. Out of the ~33,200 members who have made more than 10 posts ~22,500 of those people have been active within the last year... With ~3640 currently premium members, ~7600 Supporters, with only 18 total staff members***. That alone is pretty darn impressive.

As for the banned who aren't counted for any of this...

~2501420 registered members at the time of posting.

~2492140 members attributed to Member, Validating, Moderators, Premium, Supporters, Newswriters, Chat Moderators, Admins

So... Roughly 9280 members banned or otherwise unattributed since the creation of the site, or about 0.37% of all members.

But will leave it at that since poking about with more statistics might end badly. But there is some of the data.

*Counting banned and ~1380 validating.

**Counting ~1380 validating, statistics for banned members are not searchable.

***Counting 5 Moderators, 4 Admins, 2 Chat Moderators, and 7 News Writers.

Robin,

There are definitely those of us still around from the MC days. I think I still even have a mental screenshot of the site layout from how often I stopped in.

Things have surely come a long way. Thanks for creating, maintaining and continually improving such a stellar resource for this community. Within the context of gaming, a dear & sincere hope of mine is that this continues the legacy long into the future.

Cheers!

I remember when I found this web site. It had a feel like the space station Nexus of another site I was a member of back then. It also reminded me of a train station called, "Grand Central Station" only people came here to create. They came looking for friend's who were just as bawdy, raw, and crude as they felt.

The place is more like a church now filled with the people who could tone down their raw anarchistic swearing and cursing, and curbed their anarchistic or pagan style of thinking. And it ruined it for me as I was just recovering from having had my fill of doing the soft tone and was about to go ballistic.

Darn Christian ethic's made the place nice. :- )

Play on Gamer's!

Edited by Pagafyr