Advice on spellsword build

sweagle

I've never tried playing with a magic character in any TES game before, so after playing a bit with my assassin in Skyrim I want to make a spellsword build.

Most people seem to recommend light armor and destruction, along with some others. Now, I don't really want any of these. Is it possible to make a build using heavy armor and some other school of magic?

I was thinking about focusing on these:

One-handed

Conjuration

Enchanting (combined with some smithing)

Heavy armor

Restoration

Do you think this could work? Or do you have some other advice (which guardian stone to choose etc)?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than Heavy Armor (or Light Armor, and Smithing) you could grab the Mage Armor perk in the Alteration tree. Using Iron Flesh and 2/3 Mage Armor I get 200 armor.

Ebony Flesh with 3/3 Mage Armor gives 300 armor, and Dragonhide reduces all physical damage by 80% (the maximum possible) for 30secs. With Dual Casting and Stability, the duration increases to 100secs.

anything works in a TES game so yeah go dual wield with two spellsword , sword and board or a battle axe you can even use bows anything goes really it all depends on you. but the reason why most people prefer light over heavy armor is simply because of the perks you get from the light armor tree (stamina regen)a battle mage with a spellsword build will still consume stamina when doing power attacks but if you have restoration perks respite then you can pretty much use this to regen np. the only drawback is that you constantly need to keep switching. low stamina dual cast fast healing , then dual cast sword again rinse and repeat its all good.

I could never play a battlemage, spellsword because of the setup, I don't mind Gandalf because he uses a sword and his staff as a weapon not for casting spells (he cant anyway but we arnt here to discuss that,) where as i see a character who can both melee and cast at the sametime as unfair seeing as you could spam spells and swing your sword.

If im creating a non-mage character i try not to use any restoration spells (i find it easier on Skyrim not to do so then on Oblivion anyway,) and stick to potions for roleplay more then anything.

Sweagle, the build u mention is absolutely viable.

Go dual wield, and focus on summoning Atronachs to tank for you while u blast dmg from ur two weapons.

Go enchanting all the way, and use twin enchants on ur gear to both up ur damage and reduce mana cost of Conjuration to a minimum, which allows u to focus ur stats on health and above all stamina.

At high lvls, ull have two summoned creatures, a companion and urself wrecking havoc on anything that dares cross ur path.

Good idea to get an archer companion though as ur lacking in the range department, specially at early lvls.

-Exo

• 6 months later...
I was thinking about focusing on these:

One-handed

Conjuration

Enchanting (combined with some smithing)

Heavy armor

Restoration

Do you think this could work? Or do you have some other advice (which guardian stone to choose etc)?

Looks fine to me, though more like a Battlemage. Swing by High Gate Ruins, and pick up Flaming Familiar, that could make this build.

I played a similar build once, and used a sword in my main hand, and spells in the offhand. Restoration is really, really useful, because of wards - great vs. mages. I'd almost suggest Destruction over Conjuration. Fire/Cold/Shock Cloaks work great for melee-focused characters, and it also gives you some extra options as far as ranged attacks.

My build:

One Handed

Heavy Armor

Smithing

Restoration

Destruction

Alteration

Enchanting

Finished at late 60ish.

Currently level 41 with it. 1:1:1 ratio when levelling up with health/Stamina/Magicka.

Getting up to 400ish armor and 35% magic resistance. Which is rather nice, consider I got only 50 enchanting and Ebony gear.

Edited by Matth85

A Spellsword is basically a Battlemage (mage with armor) except more reliant on combat skills, opposed to magic skills (per Beth lore on Spellswords). Armor, magic, weapon=Spellsword. Just more combat focused, less magic, unless you want to be a Battlemage. It is still subjective to the player what he wants to make, but that's just "prototypical" of ES classes. Edited by Enatiomorph