Skyrim, Steam, and the mod shop

SturmFalkeRDA

94 members have voted

1. 1. What are your views on skyrim being on steam?

• I like steam and the current system is fine.
    • I like steam, but would like the option to play my games without steam if I so choose.
    • I have had bad experiences with steam and would like the option to play my games without steam if I so choose.

Option 3

I'm a dail-up user with no option of getting anything better, steam does not work at all for dial-up when it does it takes a hour to connect and anytime you attempt to download/update a game you loose server connection due to it continuously booting you to the bottom of the list.

Because of this I've not been able to play or mod a Beth title sense fallout 3, instead I'm limited to the modless 360 versions. I even bought New Vegas for the PC $40.00 and have never even been able to play it.

I would give my right arm just to be able to buy a disc and install a game without any internet connection like back in the day. I'd learn to use the mouse with my left hand and type with my nose just to mod again...

Edited by SaintAnon

Option 3

I'm a dail-up user with no option of getting anything better, steam does not work at all for dial-up when it does it takes a hour to connect and anytime you attempt to download/update a game you loose server connection due to it continuously booting you to the bottom of the list.

Because of this I've not been able to play or mod a Beth title sense fallout 3, instead I'm limited to the modless 360 versions. I even bought New Vegas for the PC $40.00 and have never even been able to play it.

I would give my right arm just to be able to buy a disc and install a game without any internet connection like back in the day. I'd learn to use the mouse with my left hand and type with my nose just to mod again...

you can install the game without steam by going onto the disk and pressing install.. hmhm.. also disconnect your internet before you log onto steam.. offline mode

offlinemode basicly is what you want

hope I helped

basicly, when you unplug your net connection, it asks you when you login to play in offline mode or try again...

and if you can work on getting all the updates.. then do this..

Dukkah wrote:

As I see it, it's not about whether or not one likes Steam, since that will, indeed, vary from person to person. The problem is that even if you don't like Steam you still have to use it to play Skyrim. I would like the option to opt out of it all together.

Even then this is not "correct" as is a known fact the pirates play those DRM games without ever need to connect to any server, are not bothered by these meaningless nuisances at all... I find it hard to avoid the feeling of being utterly a fool by buying a game with such kind of DRM, which clearly only harms the legal user of the content.

I still believe that game producer that makes a game I want to play deserves the money asked for the game, this is the only reason I buy them, not for fear (even because in my county the law enforcing on the issue is minimal if exist at all).

But, if the DRM was "indeed" meant to block piracy I would find it easier to swallow, it is not, it is directed to the legal user for obvious reasons (as stated above far from subtly). Well, I must admit the DRM is somewhat deterrent, but not to the point of justifying the harassment it brings to legal users.

Edit: I want to add that the agreement the user is "forced to accept" is cause of much more (legal or otherwise) fear than pirating a game would ever bring to me. What just reinforces the belief the producer deserves being paid for the work (labor) as the only reason I buy them.

Edited by nosisab

Option 4:

I honestly couldn't care less about the services Steam provides and I do not use them. It only exists so that I can play my game. It's existence does not affect my game play as I have it in offline mode and my computer is able to run it and Skyrim without lag/crashes. I have yet to encounter a problem with Steam, but having a choice between Steam and DVD would have been nice, if only to calm the natives.

tl;dr - Too busy to answer you as I am currently chasing butterflies.

Option 3.

My one digital download, GTA4 on special offer, packed up after 4 hours and refused to play ever again. Tried the usual 'verify file integrity' etc. Solved by buying the DVD and installing it non-Steam, updates freely available from Rockstar.

Shogun 2. Sat looking at the disc, cover and booklet for 5 days before Steam was ready to allow activation, even then it was 7 hours before traffic died down enough to allow this. A patch released only a day later was a fake, completely shafting the game for anyone who happened to try to play the game at that moment. Creative Assembly's fault perhaps but no thanks to Steam's system

With Skyrim I usually come on here to see if a patch has been released before I start playing, and whether it's screwed anything up and if so, how to fix it.

Steam reminds me of one of those middlemen organisations who try to convince the government and the public that their intermediary 'services' are essential, when in fact the no.1 priority is, err... money.

The attitude on the part of governments/game companies seems to be: 'We think we have this problem we can't be seriously bothered to deal with. Can you sort it? Don't care how you do it but don't leave yourself short and don't worry too much about anyone's sensitivities.' Unless you're Ubisoft, in which case you try to do it yourself.

Can't remember if it was on this forum but the analogy someone posted of buying a new car, only to find it comes with an overweight security guard (kicking) in the back seat - who takes up space. increases fuel consumption, tells you where and when you can drive, buy petrol etc - seems very apt.

Edited by Wursthan

EDIT: I like how you ninja'd a presupposed like of Steam into the poll, OP. There are two options for "I like Steam" and the only dissenting option is "I've had bad experiences" LOL.

The second option is the neutral option. It's for those who couldn't care either way, but would prefer to be able to choose whether to use it or not.

The third option is for those who don't want to use Steam at all.

What do you want, and option for 'I don't want to use Steam' and 'I don't want to use Steam even more than the previous option'? If you don't want to use Steam, choose option 3. Seriously, people argue about the silliest things. :<

when in fact the no.1 priority is, err... money.

Err, wut?

People start companies for one reason alone, to make money. Of course Steam's number one priority is going to be making money.

Either way, Steam doesn't try to coax developers into putting their games on Steam. Developers do it of their own accord.

Besides that, Steam is a godsend for indie developers. They take a cut of the developer's money for each game, yes, but the developer doesn't pay bandwidth charges at all. If the developer has to host the game files himself, he has to host the game online and pay for the bandwidth every time someone downloads his game. If someone downloads his game more than a hundred times, the developer pays for that. On Steam the person can download the game as much as he likes and Valve has to pay for the bandwidth. No extra cost to the developer.

I'm all for making Steam optional, but Steam isn't entirely the evil black shadow everyone makes it out to be. It was one of the reasons the indie games industry grew to what it is today.

Either way, I don't see Steam becoming optional anytime soon. They're still too busy raking in the cash to stop now, and as long as piracy keeps going at the levels it is now, we're only going to see measures like Steam becoming more prevalent.

Edited by Halororor

Steam is a pain until you get your head around its little functions. I chose option 3 simply because I would like to see more games that don't need steam, especially the multiplayer games which I can loan to friends.

That's not going to happen. Multiplayer games that you can loan to friends are a thing of the past. We're living in the era of online passes for multiplayer. Just look at BF3. You can sell the game to someone, but he needs to buy his own multiplayer pass if he wants to play it online.

Steam is a pain until you get your head around its little functions. I chose option 3 simply because I would like to see more games that don't need steam, especially the multiplayer games which I can loan to friends.

That's not going to happen. Multiplayer games that you can loan to friends are a thing of the past. We're living in the era of online passes for multiplayer. Just look at BF3. You can sell the game to someone, but he needs to buy his own multiplayer pass if he wants to play it online.

yea, well, your right, I really dont have a problem with steam, I love all the features of it, and again you can use offline mode if you really really want too..

you can also make it use less cpu...