Skyrim Workshop on steam VS nexus?

mclericp

Just a question, since steamworkshop is gonna be holding all the new mods when the ckit is released, since many people can upload their junk at that so-called valve website, will nexus stay busy too? I hate steam and their pile of trash, so i really hoped nexus would go up-to-date with steam or even better. Thoughts?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nexus offers:

- more than 1024mb per page.

- Multiple files/optional files

- No 1-5 rating system has caused issues over the years.

- Countless of other upload page options/tabs, like videos, readme, changelogs, permissions, etc.

Steam does not offer

- Load order management

- Install management

- 3rd party tools

- No extraction outside the data folder (Likely)

- All content types nexus offers/allows

^and that is just only about a few perks on files, it doesn't mention the support on the modding level.

Quite a bunch will come running to places like nexus for support that is rather limited or unavailable on steam and its forums.

Great glad to see nexus is still the top modding site. Dont want some company called valve who thinks they can handle their mod management to ruin nexus eh?

In fact, if bethesda didnt integrate with steam the Ckit will be released even earlier zzz

Just a question, since steamworkshop is gonna be holding all the new mods when the ckit is released, since many people can upload their junk at that so-called valve website, will nexus stay busy too? I hate steam and their pile of trash, so i really hoped nexus would go up-to-date with steam or even better. Thoughts?

I doubt it, several modders expressed their intent to stay away from Steam Workshop.

Also, I wonder what kind of mod-vetting and interoperability checking procedure will be introduced by Valve/Bethesda (if there will be any at all). If there is none, or there is only limited compatibility checking, many Steam Workshop users will soon find that the more complex and feature-rich a mod is, the more difficult it is to install, and to get it to work. There will be complaints, and people who want more than a new dress in one of lootable containers will start to look for alternative sources, i.e. Nexus.

When the Nexus Mod Manager reaches the point when it has an offline mode it will be an all together better offer than the Workshop for me, for now i have to be online for both.

Now, Nexus Mod Manager integrated with the Nexus sites have the possibility of be better than Steam.

That was the worst "fear" i think, that since Steam is intrinsically more close to Bethesda than ourselves, they can get features working that we cannot. While you wont have a "Nexus" button on your Skyrim launcher, Nexus Mod Manager could (and will with some time) get you 90% there, and compensate for the 10% of skyrim integration that it cannot have with a bunch of other cool features.

NMM has to get popularity soon or ppl will move to Steam Workshop if its as easy as it sounds to use. Not all mod users know that much of nexus nor the ppl that is here, they just want their mods. If the Workshop can hand them mods easily, thew will use it, and the only way in which Nexus can compete there is using, promoting and expanding the Nexus Mod Manager. Nexus as it is i think it could fail against Workshop on the long run.

What nexus could do is improve their integration with "client" software like NMM. Like a framework that other programmers could use to integrate their tools with Nexus (and stop saying that i have to "agree" with the GPL to use the Nexus Mod Manager, the GPL doesnt works like that, i have freedom of usage, i dont need to "agree" with anything for using GPL'd software).

I'm curious to see how Steam Workshop will manage the conflicts (yet to come or already existent) by that promise of click and play :)

Don't forget that despite the numbers, the nowadays mods are mostly simple enough (don't get me wrong, simple is not synonymous of worthless in my book) and have very few conflicts other than outstanding total replacing of one already installed mod by a newer and then removing the conflict in the process. I don't need to enter in details about what is to come, the veterans already know what I mean, the newbies will know soon enough.

Even simplicity and small size will be not enough to avoid conflicts when mods addressing the same cell, leveled lists, spawn points... start coming out.

Edited by nosisab

I'm curious to see how Steam Workshop will manage the conflicts (yet to come or already existent) by that promise of click and play :)

Don't forget that despite the numbers, the nowadays mods are mostly simple enough (don't get me wrong, simple is not synonymous of worthless in my book) and have very few conflicts other than outstanding total replacing of one already installed mod by a newer and then removing the conflict in the process. I don't need to enter in details about what is to come, the veterans already know what I mean, the newbies will know soon enough.

Quite simply, it won't. I doubt that they have even thought of that, and doubt even more that they care.

I know quite a few modders who have no intention of ever using Steam Workshop and have had some input into drafting readme's to the effect of "Hell no!" where Steam Workshop is concerned. Let us hope that the big trophy overhaul mods, the ones that they will want the most on Steam Workshop, do likewise. There's an overhaul being talked about on TESAlliance, for example, that I can only see being uploaded there and here.

It's quite simple, if you support Nexus, ignore the Workshop. Easy is not always better. And I disagree that mods are mostly simple enough - for some, even mesh and texture replacers are too much to even try and read a readme for - I well remember how much difficulty some people had with Type 3 for New Vegas despite blow by blow instructions and continued support to this day. People need to learn how to install without OMOD format/FOMOD format/NMM format or they will never understand why they keep hosing their game. On Nexus and TESAlliance you have a community of people who take pride in their work and are only too happy to help.