BLOG PIECE: supporting modding in totality

Dark0ne

In response to post #7847001. #7847316, #7869395, #7885437, #7890377 are all replies on the same post.

about the english speaking bit,

I'm french but this is an english website, english is THE international worldwide language that people revert to most of the time when they don't understand each other (as long as spoken language is concerned, of course beyond that, one can use body language, signs & such to express himself/herself)

english is also one of the most "simple" languages to learn (a lot simpler than dutch or french for example)

So yeah if one can't read English... then he has to learn it or go elsewhere or get help from people talking his first language ...

otherwise where are we going ? a nexus site with posts in french, deutch, italian, spanish, japanese, chinese ... how the f*#@ are we going to share anything if everyone speak their own language only... defeats the purpose of the nexus in my opinion ...

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #7847001. #7847316, #7869395, #7885437 are all replies on the same post.

@Ahvaren I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. I meant to say that those who take a hostile tone should be reprimanded and - if their negative attitude is taken to an extreme repetitively - punished. You are correct about all of us making mistakes at some point. I am sure that that is very true of myself, and perhaps what I said could come across as overly emotional, hostile, arrogant and snobby. I didn't really think before I posted actually... I was just thinking of how many intentionally ignorant people there are on the Internet who immediately blame others for problems that are simple to fix (often with documentation available to them just as readily as a means with which to complain) if one learns how to do so.

This is why we have a report system. If someone gets out of line then report them.

In response to post #7847001. #7847316, #7869395, #7885437, #7890377, #7893510 are all replies on the same post.

Ahvaren pretty much hit this one on the head. The community would indeed stagnate if the site were, somehow, restricted to only experienced modders/users and would cease to be much of a "Nexus". I admit that I have been irritated quite a number of times when I find that users don't even bother to read for 5 seconds to find the guides I have written for installation and such but the line between the people who refuse to learn and the people who want to learn but just need a nudge is too blurry. It sounds like some people want us experienced mod users/modders to turn the Nexus site into a dictatorship where we can ban users who annoy us? That isn't what modding or the Nexus is about in my eyes, nor the owner's eyes; I don't think the owners of this site envision an exclusive club. Modding is the one thing I see that *might* stand in the way of the gaming industry turning everything into repetitive, hand-holding, mindless, streamlined, garbage but it definitely isn't going to succeed at that if we kick thousands of users to the curb so they can just go line certain devs/publishers pockets. I could probably write a good paper on this subject but I am just going to stop there...and move on to the language subject that was brought up. Even as a primary English speaker this language subject rubs me the wrong way but I think I'll let it go since I realize that the Nexus website itself needs a set language to be functional and organized. There is one thing that caught my eye which I would like to address though:
english is also one of the most "simple" languages to learn (a lot simpler than dutch or french for example)
This is false. Among the most represented languages in first-world countries, English is actually the hardest to learn as a secondary language. English has little in the way of structure and rules compared to most other languages because it is less formal. It also has tons of idioms (like the one in the first sentence of this post that I wrote before I got to this subject) and colloquialisms that are hard for learners to grasp because they make no sense without a common understanding or context. Furthermore, English is slowly being bastardized by slang, half-pronunciation, and a range of other things which make it difficult for learners to discern what "proper" English really is. These are just a few reasons English is definitely not the simplest language to learn if you have already learned a, comparatively, more formal language (most languages) and are not immersed in a setting where English is being spoken regularly.Anyway, I digress. The point is that people shouldn't assume English is such an easy language, nor should they be too vehement about it being the set language of so many businesses, services, websites, etc. It is fine, and makes sense, if a website like the Nexus chooses English as its set language for certain things but I don't think it is fair to go any further then that. Also, moderators should see to it that people are more gentle with secondary English speakers when they are trying to communicate on the Nexus. It is sad when a lot of them feel the need to preface their questions or comments with "I'm really sorry for my bad English" because they are afraid they are going to get flamed. What is especially sad is that the quality of their English is often comparable or better than the primary English speakers who flame them. Seriously, I have seen that all-too-often. I'd hate to see the Nexus become that kind of place... Edited by ThyHarrowing