BLOG PIECE: supporting modding in totality

Dark0ne

That is unfortunate however with a site this size certain issues will arise. "Grant me the wisdom to accept the things I can not change..." You can not change people. You can not make them read, you can't keep them from asking the same question 8 bazillion times, you can't keep them for posting stupid, horrible things.

We can however do the best to moderate those things that are unacceptable according to the Terms of Service. We rely heavily on the community to report these things as there are so many files, post, images, etc.

Now sometimes and for some people its all too much and not worth it. A smaller site o your own site would certainly alleviate that issue. But I think its unfair to point the finger at "The Nexus" as a whole and say, "you are the problem." As I said this is a large site and we do the best we can. When things aren't reported we can not address them. Some things no one can control.

The things you are bothered by are a symptom of the internet in general. People say things without thinking, don't read, don't fully investigate. They often hold out their hands and demand to be given what they want, when they want and you should be darn happy doing it. I bang my head daily at these things. I would love to hear your ideas about how it could be improved or fixed...or maybe you simply think the Nexus is now too big and is beyond that.

I do understand your frustrations. Your fellow mod authors understand it all too well. Everyone must find there own place where they are comfortable to do what they love. I hope you find yours.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #7841390. #7841469, #7841601, #7846002, #7846106, #7846153, #7846561, #7846914 are all replies on the same post.

These are the weigh-offs you need to balance up in your head when posting to an extremely popular site like the Nexus compared to a more niche/focused site that has a tighter community. If you post to the Nexus you have to expect that a lot of people are going to pipe up, and you're going to get all sorts of people piping up.

The other obvious solution is to upload your mod to the Nexus so people can download it and find it easily, turn off commenting and point people to your own forum/other forum thread (e.g. on the official forums or elsewhere) where people can provide you with feedback if you so wish. I know some people who already do this and it's not a problem at all.

In response to post #7847001.

Never pointed finger directly to nexus. My finger is pointing more on ppl that annoy mod authors. Nexus is just a pot where things are cooking, but not completely innocent in this matter.

How to improve things? What I would suggest its so cruel to the point that your site would probably get rid of 50% of its population. You probably don't want that.

Those who do not read and act dumb shouldn't have access to mods at all. If you are unable to use your brains, you shouldn't use your mod. If you can't install a mod with nexus mod manager, well either your english sucks so much or more probable that you should rather buy an xbox or ps and never bother using a computer again.

Mods are not really something that someone with complete lack of skill to read should use. They can cause quite some inconveniences if you don't install them right, or use them in bad combo. There were description comes into play. So you can understand what you need to do in order for things to work. I admit I usually read just brief info, but if it doesn't work I dont got to comment section and write:
DUDE, WTF, UR MD BRKE MY SKYRIM, FIX ASAP!
I take my time and investigate. Never failed me in last 2 years.

I agree mods require some learning. Those folks that never learn can be frustrating. Sometimes you don't know the honest "new" user that is trying to learn from those that just plain will not.

I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt. I remember when I downloaded my first mod..after much confused reading. Cats and Rats for Oblivion. I actually made my husband go buy me a new computer so I could play Oblivion with mods (first played on the xbox.)

It took me like 2 weeks to figure out what and where my data folder was. I finally got the gumption to ask someone. I am pretty glad they took the time to help me and didn't brush me off as the typical idiot.

It took me like 2 weeks to figure out what and where my data folder was. I finally got the gumption to ask someone. I am pretty glad they took the time to help me and didn't brush me off as the typical idiot.

Not so different from my own first attempts at trying to install mods. It took me a while to understand the folder structure, not to mention archive invalidation. When you are doing this stuff for the first time you have to expect that it will be confusing. So now six years later I make and release my own mods, and I try not to forget my own ineptitude at installing other people’s mods. ;D

If you only read in the mod author forums you would think that every user is a moron but it isn’t so. In my own experience I have found that mod users get a bad rap. I would even say I am sometimes amazed by how understanding, good natured and intelligent the average mod user is, but I shouldn’t be surprised by it because when it comes right down to it we are all the same, just a bunch of nerds and geeks who like to play video games.

Of course they will always want more. We all want more. If we get tired of reading their requests we now have the power to turn off the comments mid-thread, take a break for a week or two, then turn on the comments when we are more able to deal with it.

If you are releasing your mods because you want them to be available for people to use, then it doesn’t make any sense to not release on a site like the Nexus. :smile:

I will reply to both:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Oblivion didn't had that big DOWNLOAD WITH MANAGER. Also most mods were found on that other site, planeteldersscrolls, at least I leached them from there, not nexus. And I think that trying to mod at that time was quite different from now when all you need to do is press that big gyanormus button if you are not into how the mod actually works. At start I did the same, had no idea I will ever mod and got into business quite some time after Skyrim got out. I played fully modded New vegas, but never even thought of actually making mods.

Mod users that are not morons are either those who are quiet and press endorse button and of course those who read and knowledge what being said and then post an appropriate comment. There is a last group who helps mod authors with endless hordes of trolls. Honor and glory to the last ones. They should get special status beneath their name, and I mean this.

I like to share my mods, but this is not a place where I want them to be. Not anymore...

I hope that the staff also thinks about maybe creating/allowing seperate sites for the same game based on language. Searching for mods can get frusterating when you see 2+ translations of a mod but must look through multipule pages of reskins and their translations just to find the original mod. It would make it easier on those that do translate the mods into different languages to see what ones have not been translated and help ease the stress of looking through the mods in a catagory and seeing several pages of translated mods.

I am not sure that would happen, but just a question. When you are looking do you make use of the tag search function? There are tags for languages that I think would help narrow things down for you?

In response to post #7850872.

I use english language mods and many of them don't make use of the language tag for english. The idea was to promote the people who do translate to do so with more of the mods whose creaters want them translated but can't do so themselves (don't speak the lanuage). Also, would it not help with moderating by allowing those who understand more than one language to more easily moderate issuses that come up that are not in english while freeing the moderators that just know english to focus on the likely high number of issues that do/will crop up as more people come to the nexus for mods? Seperating the sites by language in addition to the other improvements planned will help draw in more people (at least some of who will choose to become premium members) that don't feel comfortable reading through lots of english because it is not their primary/native language.