ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

In response to post #23679994.

My original post was all about the topic of the blog post and my concerns over any rights and changes to those rights that may stem from the adoption of a "pay for mod" system. I was expressing my views and concerns about the possibility of said proposed system and nothing more.

I never made any complaint about it as it stands now. I agreed to the terms and conditions laid forth in the EULA. I'm also for the free share of knowledge and works in the medium when permission is granted for it.

The "discussion" I was speaking of was the misunderstanding or miscommunication of viewpoint on the EULAs and if it is binding or not. It is a separate topic that has been discussed elsewhere and needs not be brought up again. The disparity comes from the fact that GECK came on my retail disc and subsequently Steam, and included no separate EULA that I could find, and I have looked many times. So I am bound by the EULA that I agreed to when installing the software originally. If the CKIT has a different one, I don't see how it at all pertains to the GECK, Fallout 3 and NV nor the EULA to which I agreed.

I see no need to further discuss that topic, as it serves no purpose.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the comments here it sounds like monetizing mods would be good for modders (some at least) and bad for the mod users. On a personal level it would be bad. My family's budget is incredibly tight. For me just buying games alone is a rare occurrence. If things changed so that we had to start paying for mods I'd likely have to stop modding, and considering it's my main hobby that would be very upsetting.

That said, I understand that many of the modders that make more impressive mods have to pay for programs and contract the work of other modders to make their mods. It's unfair to expect them to have to foot that bill without at least getting enough back to cover their expenses, especially if they live on tight budgets. I don't know what the answer to this is. Either way someone comes out on the losing end.

I'm still pretty positive that if there was a monitization system for mods, there would be like, 5 must have paid mods, a little over a dozen for-profit mods, hundreds of pay what you will mods, and literally thousands of mods would continue to be free. (for New Vegas & fallout 3) Skyrim may have 3x that. Future games probably would hover around that number also.

I too am a broke ass visual effects guy. I probably wouldn't pay for 99.98% of the monetized mods. But that one or two that I really like? Then yeah, I'd probably pay 1$-5$ for those. 10$ (max) if it's a really high quality quest mod - and I mean, it has to be absurdly well done.

I'm certain that under the layer of vitriol that is true of almost everyone.

Edited by Thaiauxn

In response to post #23679764.

First thanks for the information on the donate button. I didn't even know we had that option.

Second I didn't really mean specifically donation like that. The best way to explain what I mean is to use an example with pateon and YouTube so bare with me.

A YouTube video might have a link to a PayPal account if you want to donate to that YouTuber. But a lot of YouTubers didn't see that much money from this type of exchange. And that is with them advertising their PayPal account in their videos.

With the rise of Kickstarter and Indiegogo more people have been trying to get funded through them but with no real force behind the creator making what they claimed they would in the time frame they said they would. AKA Aneta Sarkesean and her videos.

Patreon comes around and gives payment methods of per month or per project with the ability to stop endorsement at any time.

With this option some YouTubers have seen a rise in financial supporters.

I am not saying that this is the responsibility of Nexus or any one person to uphold but I do believe the Community would be better if they embraced it.

I just don't think it is going to be a good idea to force the community in to something like this by a third party like Steam. It should happen organically from the community. It would be evidence that we are ready to grow in that way.

Or maybe I am wrong. Like I said I am too close to the subject of Pareon to see it subjectively.

I don't know if this has been brought up already. You know what would be really meta? When the "mod market" flourishes and kickstarters or even pre-releases start to pop up en masse. I know you can kickstart your mods even now. You can even kickstart a salad or a minecraft texture pack. It is simply different when you choose to crowdfund a commercial product.

Hey, the new mod of the critically acclaimed author theLittleGnome will be available this June - preorder now to receive exclusive in-game, in-mod content.

or backers up to 2 eur will receive an avatar and title for use in our forum/blog.

Don't know about you. Monetising and DRManaging this scene seems problematic to me. And judging from the revenues Dark0ne posted, I don't trust that the Steam feedback or vote system can work as a substitute market - same goes for greenlight so far.

Long post after all, even without explaining my opinions :P