BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

I didn't buy Hearthfire because it was a paid mod, and if paid mods become a thing I guess I won't be modding anymore. I have not and will not ever pay for mods.

Of course this is just another attempt at grabbing more sacks of cash by Valve. They can't even curate their own storefront properly so I most definitely will not trust them to implement some paid mod storefront.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to congratulate everyone on making it to page 23 until the EULA was quoted and the Nazis were brought up. That's a proud achievement right there. This community is maturing!

In response to post #23644599. #23646929, #23648494, #23650844, #23650964, #23651009, #23651369, #23652049, #23654544, #23661549, #23665319 are all replies on the same post.

Standing up and attacking parties would be the equivalent of being a vigilante here.
I'll sarcastically note that that has worked well before.

This place is not a Nazi regime and isn't even comparable to it.
You are speaking of an extremist faction that was at the center of WW2.
It's goal was to conquer and everything else that came with their lust for power.

This is Video Games. Modding, in specific.
Please do not make such silly leaps, thank you. Edited by RJ the Shadow

In response to post #23672494.

When you catch the spotlight on a social platform, it's only a matter of time before the strangest of connections are made.

You don't even want to know how what kind of leaps Twitter has made/achieved in record time.

hmmm.. Would I pay for a mod... If I had tech support when needed, and visual representation of Installation and (if needed) Un installation, if the quality and/or basic ability to run the game was hindered after said"purchased" mod had Failed.

I cant even Begin to come up with a number of "Failed" mods ive tried out. Either my fault or the modders? cant say to be honest.. Lets face it, games in general have No or a very limited return/cancellation option.

I honestly feel I will lose interest in games that try to make more money off of mods more so then allow for free modding as is with Fallout NV or Elderscrolls games. I do believe that Online gaming will almost HAVE to be either monetized modding, or at least kept to Background modding (User Interface, DPS meter's etc....)

Pay for mods... still not sure, still think 25/75 is Cheap as hell on Valves part tho, Modders do 90% of the work, they take 75% of the money, thats almost laughable.

Edited by dewebbe

First time I've stopped to look at one of these in the time i've been on the nexus but... Well. It is a frightening prospect. I believe that the fact that modding is free is the cause for things like Heimskr Unleashed and the Swearing Mudcrabs mods came to be. Humor, because there are no stakes to be held. The nature of the mods themselves would change in quite a few cases, I think. I am not quite sure what your spat is with loverslab but... I'll likely stay. I would like to be present of both, but uhh... Very rarely will I find something I want on there, but here? I have to check daily just to make sure I don't miss out on something golden! I'm grateful for your stance on this, and I ...eh. I don't know what else to say, really, but thank you.

I just wanted to ask everybody (that is reading this) what they would think about supporting moders if the system being proposed wasn't going in to effect but one that allowed for moders to use something like Patreon? Mainly monetary participation would be optional and legally acceptable benefits would be awarded but the mod would be openly released to everybody Steam, Nexus, extra... upon completion.

I personally think that would be good. But I might be too close to this idea to see it rationally. I have a Pateon account for making Minecraft Maps (I won't link it in here). And I am trying to make it work. Not to get rich but to help pay some bills.

And that is why I think it would be better if the community created its own system like this rather than being forced in to a contract by a company with the worst ranking by the Better Business Burrow. Valve has an F http://www.bbb.org/alaskaoregonwesternwashington/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/valve-corporation-in-bellevue-wa-27030704

And like a man once said "If you are good at something, never do it for free." If you are a good modder you deserve some compensation for your effort and if you are a bad modder money is a great motivator to become better.

@GreenSamurai101; The Nexus already offers exactly this sort of voluntary contibution scheme.

Look near the top-right on the page of a mod you like. If the author has agreed to participate then there will be a green "Donate" button to the right of the "Endorse" and "Vote" buttons. :thumbsup:

In response to post #23665029. #23665619 is also a reply to the same post.

Where is the difference? That's exactly what I said, they can take whatever you make and distribute. They can sell it, use it, do whatever they like with it and you as an author, have no legal standing to get paid or even be credited. That also means that you can not sublicense the material to someone else for use in a "paid for" product or sell it yourself under any circumstances.

So what is this discussion about again?

I think the discussion is around whether or not one (as an author or player) would, or even should, participate in an exclusive "pay for mods" scheme. And note that the BethSoft agreement cited above does NOT limit mod builders' right to distribute their works (for free) using services like the Nexus. The newer arrangements being contemplated by Valve may well prohibit that.

As for complaining that BethSoft can also use the works; remember that mods are only useful, or even (legally) possible, because BethSoft gave the mod authors permission to use the games' assets in the first place under very specific conditions, and then developed, and gave away for free, the tools to integrate many of them into the games. If an author doesn't use the CK to build the mod, that portion of the EULA doesn't apply.