ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24670454. #24670809, #24673139 are all replies on the same post.

hafizlordfeast wrote:
Riprock wrote: To early to abandon ship. Damage parties report only damage from elements that were popular but unstable internally.
mkess wrote: Do not buy their next games, if they make DRM based modding tools. That is, what WE can do.

Remember, there is NO way in hell, they are able to make a bug low product, what does not ctd in 10 minutes tops, without the help of the modders of the unofficial patches.

And remember the corupted save games after 20 hours? How will THEY ever fix that. They are far too sloppy, to have a chance to fix it.

If they have no free modding, this games are no different from any abbandoned early access s#*!.

DO NOT BUY THEM, in this case. And for gods sake, stop buying games on steam, until this is sorted out. I've gone offline, deleted my wishlist, reset the store configuration, and removed my workshop subscription. It's up to ourselves, to do something. Do not wait on any "reactions" from other side. They will only spout bullshit bingo statements.

Start acting yourself! Don't wait. Money,and NOT buying anything until now is the only VALID statement in their eyes, they will accept.

Only the loss of money, that is.

Why did you remove every game in your store? I'm all for not buying games via steam and similar stuff, but how do they profit from your already bought games?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24673839. #24674559, #24675019 are all replies on the same post.

jono123 wrote:
bigdeano89 wrote: Thats called copyright. Bethesda technically owns ALL mods, they can take them all down if they really wanted to. The authors are making money off of Bethesdas IP, thats how the world works. They made the mod, sure, but Bethesda made the code and assets, as well as the kit authors use to make the mods.
Devmarta wrote: Shush, they made the game and tools. There would be no skyrim mods without skyrim.

Could I just challenge these ideas a second...

Yes they do own the assests however there is a thing called Intellectual Property. There is also the fact that many modders create their own content from scratch and even write their own code.

If we go down the copyright route then how about all the tools people use to make mods... do our "friends" on high pay them for the profit they are making.

Lastly, this is a can of worms... imagine buying a car, it gets old, you fix it and then the car manufacturer starts demanding you pay them for doing so. It's not like that but this is the beginning.

Read this and see how agressive companies are getting:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/esa-preserving-old-video-game-consoles-museums-tantamount-illegal-hacking-1495805

Well said and thanks for all the effort you put into this site Dark0ne!

The one thing i can never accept is the share Valve and Bethesda get. They take no risk, have way less work than the modders, but still get 75% of the money. Imo that's just plain unfair and i will not support this greed.

You know what ? I don't give a f*ck about what people say. You've created a wonderful, free modding community website and I will continue to use it as long as I can. And you deserve the gift they gave you. But like you said, it's a gift, you're not Valve's slave, you're free to have your own opinion.

Thanks for everything.

Edited by XMen19

In response to post #24672854. #24672944 is also a reply to the same post.

joz23 wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: Yupp!

Seems like we could all avoid this by donating to the mods we love the most, so 100% goes to the mod author.

People keep talking about how mods should be free, that mod authors aren't entitled o compensation, that they should do it for love, or experience or whatever. Maybe that is so, but how many do it because they "love" to spend hours a day answering questions from users who don't even bother to read their readmes? Or making their mods compatible with other mods that the author has no intention of using? For the big, popular mods their is a lot more that goes into it than just the fun of creating a mod.

The donation model focuses not on mod authors' entitlement, but rather on what we, as mod users are willing to give to help the authors continue their work. It is a partnership. It only works it we actually do it, and let go of ideas about our own entitlement.

It doesn't have to be every mod. There are plenty of mod authors out there (myself included) that don't accept donations. But don't you think your 200-mod game is worth at least the cost of a Bethesda DLC? Is a dollar or two to your top 10 or 20 mods really too much to devote to the support of a community that has provided you with so much enjoyment?

In response to post #24674064.

lordarcana wrote:

There is already a donation system in place. If you go to a user's profile on the Nexus, it should have a "donate" button at the top, near the different options like "add friend" and "message". Not all modders have it set up, but most do. If you want to donate, that's the way to do it Edited by sgtmcbiscuits

In response to post #24670454. #24670809, #24673139, #24675349 are all replies on the same post.

hafizlordfeast wrote:
Riprock wrote: To early to abandon ship. Damage parties report only damage from elements that were popular but unstable internally.
mkess wrote: Do not buy their next games, if they make DRM based modding tools. That is, what WE can do.

Remember, there is NO way in hell, they are able to make a bug low product, what does not ctd in 10 minutes tops, without the help of the modders of the unofficial patches.

And remember the corupted save games after 20 hours? How will THEY ever fix that. They are far too sloppy, to have a chance to fix it.

If they have no free modding, this games are no different from any abbandoned early access s#*!.

DO NOT BUY THEM, in this case. And for gods sake, stop buying games on steam, until this is sorted out. I've gone offline, deleted my wishlist, reset the store configuration, and removed my workshop subscription. It's up to ourselves, to do something. Do not wait on any "reactions" from other side. They will only spout bullshit bingo statements.

Start acting yourself! Don't wait. Money,and NOT buying anything until now is the only VALID statement in their eyes, they will accept.

Only the loss of money, that is.
Primalsplit wrote: Why did you remove every game in your store? I'm all for not buying games via steam and similar stuff, but how do they profit from your already bought games?

Principles.

They don't keep you warm at night, but they DO help you sleep. Edited by phantompally76

In response to post #24673389. #24673869, #24673949, #24674134, #24674659, #24674689, #24674789, #24674949, #24675064, #24675239 are all replies on the same post.

Lateraliss wrote:
carlocgc wrote: Exactly this.
Gameipedia wrote: did you not read the entire post?, His convictions as far as i can tell are to support the growth of modding community and keep a place for people to host and share mods for free, this site is run off of ads and premiums pretty much exclusively, he decided that if people want to give some of their money going into buying mods on steam towards nexus, that sure because it would help support the site, and in no way changes the site, and sure as hell does not change his beliefs which while also being NOT WHAT YOU said they were are also not to white knight against paid modding, if they are good enough they will be bought, if people can earn money doing something they enjoy, they will try to, there's nothing wrong with that and nexus isn't even involved in that. like really I just had to reiterate the very bare-bones point of this post in a much worse way both wordedly, and with misleading quotability, because apparently you either didn't read the whole post, or did not understand the point of the post.
Lateraliss wrote: A really long paragraph, but it doesn't change the facts. Do you know what it's called when you don't support something but accept money from it because "it's going to happen anyways" is? It's called selling out.

When I don't support something, I don't support it, which also means I don't take profits from it. It's called having conviction. To do that, regardless of whether "Nexus is involved in that", which it now is because he has agreed to take money from it, it's a pretty classless thing to do.

You can't bad talk the process, and then profit from it. That's called being a hypocrite.

You may think that I don't understand what he said, which I don't know how you could, because anyone with a modicum of intelligence would be able to see what he said. "I don't support the practice, but I'm going to take money from it anyways." Where he spends the money, or how he thinks this will support the modding community is moot.
phantompally76 wrote: You can buy in to his glib rhetoric and self-righteous narcissism all you want to. That doesn't change the fact that he IS condemning Valve and Steam's business practices with one hand, and accepting money made from those very business practices with the other. No matter how you apologists try to spin it, no matter how hard you close your eyes and try to wish it away, No matter how many hundreds of times you read his 5,000-word essay reassuring you that he's an innocent pawn, taking money from paid mod proceeds is a deliberate, immoral and unethical conflict of interest and a breach of trust, compounded by the fact that he wasn't forthcoming with this information, and only even addressed it because someone else made the community aware of it.

If you're too blind or stubborn or fanatical to see this, or even to stop for 10 seconds and consider it.........then this community is already poised to fall, and corporate greed has already won due to our own short-sightedness, ignorance and blatant stupidity, and blind loyalty to wolves in sheeps' clothing. Because Valve wants you to think that everything is ok. Chesko and Isoku thought everything was ok, because Valve told them everything was ok. The same thing can easily happen here.

All I'm asking is for you to not accept "I'm not doing anything wrong....this is ok" as a legitimate explanation. Open your eyes. Ask questions. Don't let yourself be deceived and tricked like the mod authors in the Steam Sellout er, I mean Rollout Bundle.
bigdeano89 wrote: Maybe you should take a look at the service provider list then, because if theres a mod site you know of, its on there. So is the MCM authors among others. Its an optional donation, nothing more, now move on and stop shouting at the world.
SjoertJansen wrote: Where does it state he does not support it? Show me. He doesn't!

He is wary of the consequences, yes. And he wants to keep modding free. Meaning, fighting to keep the ability to make a mod and upload it for absolute free. NOT, no-one can make money of mods... Where did you get that wrong?

He also makes sure this site will remain free, for as long as free mods can be made...

Fighting to keep modding a game a free thing to do, or fighting against people earning money from mods are two very distinct things.
Vidicus wrote: Actions speak louder than words. Taking part in Valve's actions shows WAY WAY WAY more to me than him typing words.

Actions ALWAYS speak louder than words.
bigdeano89 wrote: WORDS speak louder when its an explanation. I will say again, he is NOT the only site to be on the service provider list, AFKMODs and MCM menu are on there too. People are just flocking here because Chesko took a hissy fit and tried to move the blame.
phantompally76 wrote: bigdean, rest assured, the community is JUST as angry with those entities as they are with Dark0ne and with sellout mod authors and with Valve and Bethesda.

The only difference is that those entities aren't saying "I don't like this one bit, but I'll still take the money from it".

AFAIK, those entities aren't saying much of anything.

But I'm sure some white knight will swoop in and prove me wrong.

Take the money, support the free mod author. It's simple.

In response to post #24672854. #24672944, #24675669 are all replies on the same post.

joz23 wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: Yupp!
Georgiegril wrote: Seems like we could all avoid this by donating to the mods we love the most, so 100% goes to the mod author.

People keep talking about how mods should be free, that mod authors aren't entitled o compensation, that they should do it for love, or experience or whatever. Maybe that is so, but how many do it because they "love" to spend hours a day answering questions from users who don't even bother to read their readmes? Or making their mods compatible with other mods that the author has no intention of using? For the big, popular mods their is a lot more that goes into it than just the fun of creating a mod.

The donation model focuses not on mod authors' entitlement, but rather on what we, as mod users are willing to give to help the authors continue their work. It is a partnership. It only works it we actually do it, and let go of ideas about our own entitlement.

It doesn't have to be every mod. There are plenty of mod authors out there (myself included) that don't accept donations. But don't you think your 200-mod game is worth at least the cost of a Bethesda DLC? Is a dollar or two to your top 10 or 20 mods really too much to devote to the support of a community that has provided you with so much enjoyment?

I am planning to do just this... what would be nice though is to perhaps have a few features such as a blanket donation say 20p to all endorsed mods. And perhaps even a more dedicated donation system where I do not have to go to each page and go through the whole process 150 times! Tick box your top ten and give them 2.99 or something.

In response to post #24673389. #24673869, #24673949, #24674134, #24674659, #24674689, #24674789, #24674949, #24675064, #24675239, #24675909 are all replies on the same post.

Lateraliss wrote:
carlocgc wrote: Exactly this.
Gameipedia wrote: did you not read the entire post?, His convictions as far as i can tell are to support the growth of modding community and keep a place for people to host and share mods for free, this site is run off of ads and premiums pretty much exclusively, he decided that if people want to give some of their money going into buying mods on steam towards nexus, that sure because it would help support the site, and in no way changes the site, and sure as hell does not change his beliefs which while also being NOT WHAT YOU said they were are also not to white knight against paid modding, if they are good enough they will be bought, if people can earn money doing something they enjoy, they will try to, there's nothing wrong with that and nexus isn't even involved in that. like really I just had to reiterate the very bare-bones point of this post in a much worse way both wordedly, and with misleading quotability, because apparently you either didn't read the whole post, or did not understand the point of the post.
Lateraliss wrote: A really long paragraph, but it doesn't change the facts. Do you know what it's called when you don't support something but accept money from it because "it's going to happen anyways" is? It's called selling out.

When I don't support something, I don't support it, which also means I don't take profits from it. It's called having conviction. To do that, regardless of whether "Nexus is involved in that", which it now is because he has agreed to take money from it, it's a pretty classless thing to do.

You can't bad talk the process, and then profit from it. That's called being a hypocrite.

You may think that I don't understand what he said, which I don't know how you could, because anyone with a modicum of intelligence would be able to see what he said. "I don't support the practice, but I'm going to take money from it anyways." Where he spends the money, or how he thinks this will support the modding community is moot.
phantompally76 wrote: You can buy in to his glib rhetoric and self-righteous narcissism all you want to. That doesn't change the fact that he IS condemning Valve and Steam's business practices with one hand, and accepting money made from those very business practices with the other. No matter how you apologists try to spin it, no matter how hard you close your eyes and try to wish it away, No matter how many hundreds of times you read his 5,000-word essay reassuring you that he's an innocent pawn, taking money from paid mod proceeds is a deliberate, immoral and unethical conflict of interest and a breach of trust, compounded by the fact that he wasn't forthcoming with this information, and only even addressed it because someone else made the community aware of it.

If you're too blind or stubborn or fanatical to see this, or even to stop for 10 seconds and consider it.........then this community is already poised to fall, and corporate greed has already won due to our own short-sightedness, ignorance and blatant stupidity, and blind loyalty to wolves in sheeps' clothing. Because Valve wants you to think that everything is ok. Chesko and Isoku thought everything was ok, because Valve told them everything was ok. The same thing can easily happen here.

All I'm asking is for you to not accept "I'm not doing anything wrong....this is ok" as a legitimate explanation. Open your eyes. Ask questions. Don't let yourself be deceived and tricked like the mod authors in the Steam Sellout er, I mean Rollout Bundle.
bigdeano89 wrote: Maybe you should take a look at the service provider list then, because if theres a mod site you know of, its on there. So is the MCM authors among others. Its an optional donation, nothing more, now move on and stop shouting at the world.
SjoertJansen wrote: Where does it state he does not support it? Show me. He doesn't!

He is wary of the consequences, yes. And he wants to keep modding free. Meaning, fighting to keep the ability to make a mod and upload it for absolute free. NOT, no-one can make money of mods... Where did you get that wrong?

He also makes sure this site will remain free, for as long as free mods can be made...

Fighting to keep modding a game a free thing to do, or fighting against people earning money from mods are two very distinct things.
Vidicus wrote: Actions speak louder than words. Taking part in Valve's actions shows WAY WAY WAY more to me than him typing words.

Actions ALWAYS speak louder than words.
bigdeano89 wrote: WORDS speak louder when its an explanation. I will say again, he is NOT the only site to be on the service provider list, AFKMODs and MCM menu are on there too. People are just flocking here because Chesko took a hissy fit and tried to move the blame.
phantompally76 wrote: bigdean, rest assured, the community is JUST as angry with those entities as they are with Dark0ne and with sellout mod authors and with Valve and Bethesda.

The only difference is that those entities aren't saying "I don't like this one bit, but I'll still take the money from it".

AFAIK, those entities aren't saying much of anything.

But I'm sure some white knight will swoop in and prove me wrong.
lowegule wrote: Take the money, support the free mod author. It's simple.

You are awesome Lateraliss.