BLOG PIECE: Modding as a hobby versus modding as a career, and the position of the Nexus

Dark0ne

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #23602849.

I am pleasantly surprised at your point. Everything else I had read up until now I could see a work around for. Valve and Zenimax could probably get around or ignore most problems but mod conflict wouldn't be possible in complex mods without someone being forced to create a patch.

Tip o' the hat.

In response to post #23602849. #23748509 is also a reply to the same post.

Thanks. ...and the funny thing is that's the biggest issue most modders deal with on a daily basis. Leveled lists, navmeshes, body type mismatch, cosmetic changes, preference of colors, or just localization - it's all mod conflict and it's in constant flux with new mods coming into existence all the time.

In response to post #23602849. #23748509, #23749129 are all replies on the same post.

Obviously it's desirable for mods to be compatible, but it has never been a requirement and I don't think it would be any different for paid mods. A simple disclaimer would cover it. People demanding that everything be compatible, well that's just part of the user entitlement problem.

As for having to be 100% lore friendly, I don't see that at all. All that is required would be that the mod is as it is advertised to be.

I agree with what has been said, allowing for the sale/purchase mods on the nexus (or anywhere) would be opening a huge can of worms. However one idea that I could see possibly working here, is having a "pledge" option. What I mean by that is this:

Let's say there is an experienced mod author out there who has already made a few really good mods and has gathered a bit of a following. There could be an option for users who want to support that authors work on future mods by having the ability to pledge a certain (one time) amount that would go to that mod author upon the completion of their next mod or update. This would be similar to donations (as it's still up to the user if they want to give or not) but with a built in incentive for the mod author to complete their next mod or support their current work. Something like this would still allow mods to be free for all users, but could also potentially add a little bit more of an incentive for certain mod authors. Just a thought.

Edited by phellen

In response to post #23719594. #23737919, #23743949, #23746339 are all replies on the same post.

I wouldn't pay for mods on steam workshop (or anywhere) before testing them because :

- Steam does not deserve a single coin only a kick in the ass

- Bethesda deserves nothing more than what i already paid for the main game and DLCs (and i buyed only a cheap legendary version) because most glitches got fixed by unnoficial patch made by modders and there were a lot (i played games in closed beta with far less glitches than skyrim when released)

- Some mods seem great in the description but end up being huge disappointments, when they do work at all and don't conflict with other mods.

Now a few modders deserve my respect and my thanks, but mostly my respect, because they did things i could barely imagine. A few others brought me to places i wouldn't even have had imagine. But i think that if you're doing it for money then you should stop, you probably use to do it for fun or because you hoped people would enjoy. And if you now want to sale what you first meant as a free gift for anyone to enjoy then i feel sad for you :/

By the way i'm not selling anything anywhere but writing may be harder than you think, even if it's only 10 pages. It sometimes takes a week or more to get one sentance to feel right.

In response to post #23719594. #23737919, #23743949, #23746339, #23751059 are all replies on the same post.

The only reason all mods for Bethesda games have been free up til this point is because that's the rules set down by Bethesda. If/When Bethesda changes those rules to allow paid modding, this community will not be consulted and will have no say in the matter. Beth will make their decisions based on what they think is best for their business.

Will people pay for mods? Robin already answered that question. Valve reported 228 million dollars in revenue from mods, that's over a quarter of a billion, from a business model that is probably still in it's infancy. Bethesda can't ignore those numbers.

What's a mod worth? Depends on the mod, but you know there are some people here who are willing to spend 5 dollars on a cup of coffee from Starbucks, and IMO buying 5 mods for the same price would be much better value for your money.

The way I think this will all work out will be free mods and paid mods being available side by side in the same marketplace. There will probably be some kind of vetting process to decide what mods can have a price tag and for how much.

To Make this work though, Bethesda probably needs to buy the Nexus, or close it down. Better that they buy it really, and then try to continue Robin's legacy and nurture the modding community, and they would have good reason for doing that as the modding community here could be a cash cow for them. We could even see a greater level of cooperation from them than we have in the past. They might be more willing to provide some support for tools that the modding community until now has had to come up with on it's own. A lot of modelers that were active in Oblivion have sat out Skyrim because of the lack of Skyrim support for Blender. Bethesda could have solved that problem if they had enough financial incentive. Edited by RGMage2

In response to post #23719594. #23737919, #23743949, #23746339, #23751059, #23751089 are all replies on the same post.

To me, the idea how much my time to create a mod is worth, never came to mind. My mods were created because I enjoyed the process of making them. My pay was the fun to make the mod, learn something, getting in touch with fellow modders and last but not least the feedback I got from users enjoying what I have created.
I released the source scripts for other authors to build on and frankly I don't care if they want to make money on what I have created. I decided that I was doing it for fun and starting to get greedy afterwards because someone else gets money just simply does not fit my character.
I do enjoy the freedom to tell people to shove it, if they demand support that is uncalled for in a free product but my experience never showed many of those people. Most people simply ask questions or give cool and giving feedback.