Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24730434.

phantompally76 wrote:

Any lawyer worth a damn would run the hell away from the mess that would've been involved. The nature of the community to use community assets and require other mods makes the whole thing a mess.

If Valve/Bethesda are smart, they'll hop on board the donation train and take a small percentage as a "processing" fee.

That said, there are scummy lawyers who could make this a long drawn out war. But, they've tipped their hand now. I genuinely believe that Bethesda and Valve got into this mess without doing the proper research and they had a very, very poor understanding of the Skyrim modding scene.

When es6 or fallout4 come out they will probably be paid mods. That seems fair to me because you will at least know what you are getting and have the choice to buy the game or not.

I am sure there will still be free mods for these games on Nexus but I doubt if Steam will have any in their workshop.

In response to post #24730204. #24730439, #24730704 are all replies on the same post.

setsuna515 wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: I think you are right, I only hope they loosen up on the donation thing to allow Dark0ne to let modders push forward on the donation option without fear of breaking the law.
automatonxtinct wrote: Already started. I donated a few bucks to RaceMenu and USKP's authors today, and I'll donate to a couple more every week. Honestly, if they'd had the donation popup all along, I probably would have already done so. I don't think the "donate" button ever really registered in my brain, since I wasn't specifically looking for it. I'd rather contribute to mods I well know the value of than risk my money on an untested product (and risk a 7-day ban getting a refund). Honestly it wouldn't be that terrible an idea with proper warning and implementation, maybe alongside a new game, not in the midst of one of the biggest free modding communities out there. With a better profit breakdown for modders. But not like this. Never like this.

I agree. Starting paid mods on a brand new release would have worked just fine as you wouldn't be running into nearly as many problems as you would in an established game.

Who knows, maybe this is what will happen with Fallout 4/TES VI.

In response to post #24730444. #24730534, #24730614 are all replies on the same post.

maybenexttime wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: They have a lot to answer for. Especially considering how smug and arrogant and condescending they were in responding to concerns about it.
maybenexttime wrote: Yep unfortunately, they were.

Don't forget Midas Magic!

It will be a long time before things settle down again, and it never will really be the same :( Edited by digitaltrucker

In response to post #24730204. #24730439, #24730704, #24730979 are all replies on the same post.

setsuna515 wrote:
sunshinenbrick wrote: I think you are right, I only hope they loosen up on the donation thing to allow Dark0ne to let modders push forward on the donation option without fear of breaking the law.
automatonxtinct wrote: Already started. I donated a few bucks to RaceMenu and USKP's authors today, and I'll donate to a couple more every week. Honestly, if they'd had the donation popup all along, I probably would have already done so. I don't think the "donate" button ever really registered in my brain, since I wasn't specifically looking for it. I'd rather contribute to mods I well know the value of than risk my money on an untested product (and risk a 7-day ban getting a refund). Honestly it wouldn't be that terrible an idea with proper warning and implementation, maybe alongside a new game, not in the midst of one of the biggest free modding communities out there. With a better profit breakdown for modders. But not like this. Never like this.
setsuna515 wrote: I agree. Starting paid mods on a brand new release would have worked just fine as you wouldn't be running into nearly as many problems as you would in an established game.

Who knows, maybe this is what will happen with Fallout 4/TES VI.

I still think a more comprehensive approach is needed, like a combination of donate, most downloaded and a monitored quality and copyright check simply has to be part of any future implementation of the scheme.

In response to post #24730754. #24730929 is also a reply to the same post.

Darkarhon wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: There's no going back, I'm afraid.

I've blocked nearly two dozen mod authors as a result of this; some of them among the best mod authors in the activity.

I'm not unblocking them. I can't pretend like none of this ever happened.

And neither can they.

I wouldn't throw the mod authors under the bus they were approached to try something new. That thing failed its not on them its on Steam and Bes to atone for this mess. The shovelware modders that came outta the woodwork for money can sit on a rusty nail for all I care though.