BLOG PIECE: supporting modding in totality

Dark0ne

I understand what you are saying (though I doubt that anyone would tag the English tag as it is the language of the site.) As for moderating in another language...as of now we don't/won't as far as postings go. (I am not saying that your idea does not have merit or would not be considered in some form in the future) The Terms of Service of this site says:

"The official language of the Nexus sites is English and English should be the primary language used at all times. We reserve the right to remove any content from the Nexus sites that isn't written in English."

Translations of mods are permitted however people that make post in other languages are asked to use English or a translation program. Though members of the staff come from all over and speak more than one language we could not possibly hope to cover them all!! Having one "official" language makes life easier on everyone. Kind of like Formula One Auto Racing....drivers and makers from all over the world, one official language of doing business.

Some mod authors like the translations to be on their own page. Some do not care. I still am not sure about making a page for translations but you never know. However I agree that we maybe could do better helping these things get seen and I encourage you too offer this idea (or anything to help) into the site feedback area once Dark0ne's idea gets implemented.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #7857456.

Same here dude, what is going on?It is not just that the sites are down, but they seem to be completely of the grid, because my ISP always redirects me to google saying that the page does not exist. Edited by Keldis

I have used "Nexus" since Fallout 3 and will continue to for New Vegas, Skyrim , Fallout 4 and whatever else Nexus and of course the modding community decides to take the time to mod. The amount of content available is awesome and everyone here including the site owners/ programmers, moderators, and anyone else who keeps what I call "free DLC" going deserve a humongous round of applause. Keep up the good work!

Edited by paladin07

Looks like they were moving the proxy servers around here, where I live, because they routed me to some DNS servers which couldn't find any of the nexus pages, since I wouldnt get past http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/...

So, I was able to reach the site, yesterday through Firefox. Just had to install the Proxy Selector plugin, so I could browse the website through the US Proxy, with no problems.

In response to post #7847001. #7847316, #7885437, #7890377 are all replies on the same post.

I don't know about that English-speaking bit... I don't speak more than like three words of any other foreign language... However, I do completely agree with you about punishment for senseless, baseless criticism on the part of ignorant users who don't take the time to think about how a computer works, and instead get overly emotional (story of their lives...). I love computers, but I am not super smart when I comes to their intricacies. Even though I am limited in my knowledge, I know basic things like: 1) If a downloaded .rar, .7z, .zip etc. file is corrupt, it is your connection's fault, not the mod's files' 2) Crashing due to graphics mods is due to a lack of available RAM, which can result from obscenely huge textures (that people download thinking "Derp, can't be any consequences for using 4k textures on everything with a 512 MiB VGA, JUST OVERCLOCK") being loaded on system RAM instead of the VGA's VRAM, and since Skyrim, due to it running as a 32-bit application with 32-bit data tables, can only address ~3.2 GiB of RAM - which is now mostly consumed by textures - it crashes when trying to load more data. 3) There are reasons that .esp files should be sorted specific ways, suggested load orders are not attained by throwing magic darts at a magic dartboard of fate. 4) Frame rate is not only determined by the CPU and VGA. The hard drive offloads information to RAM when requested, the power supply keeps your system running at peak capacity... or not...(and running SAFELY, with active PFC), case fans and the CPU heatsink prevent overheating-releated application and system shut-down, the motherboard determines the stability of overclocks as well as what given hardware components can be installed, system RAM is important for even more obvious reasons including the stability of an overclock. 5) Minecraft and the ARMA series run poorly on many systems because the hard drive is too slow, not because they are "unoptimized". Come on, people... these are computers, not consoles. ^Looks like elitism. It isn't. I hate elitism. TLDRKeep track of the offences of individual users. If they exceed a certain amount of negative points, gently discipline them. If they continue flouting rules, being rude, etc., disable their download capabilities. Also, there should be a premium member tab that is clearly visible on the main page. More people would see the info about how much the site costs and what benefits they can receive if they acquire a premium membership. Edited by Aticus127

In response to post #7847001. #7847316, #7869395 are all replies on the same post.

@Timmy19992, Aticus127

Thing is, you start banning people for stupidity, you're going to lose a lot more than ~50%. Everyone has been stupid at some point in their lives. Everyone has also had to ask a fairly stupid question at one point. Google is not infallible, and it sometimes helps to have another person explain something. It's why teachers and tutors still exist, even in the age of 'get everything you want online'.

So what happens if someone with a legitimate question sees all these people getting disciplined for being stupid? They won't ask the question. They won't learn. And this community will stagnate because it will no longer be a place of people learning and getting into modding, it will be a place where the already experienced modders and users congregate to the expense of everyone else.

I think that runs contrary to what the Nexus is.

*Note: I'm not defending those who don't read at all and just demand answers for their own mess-ups, but honestly, it's way too close to people who legitimately need help and can learn to really distinguish perfectly each time. I know someone, who, when given a book/wiki/online resource, can read it and not comprehend a thing. Once someone explains it, though, she's great. But she asks really dumb questions on her way to understanding, and she'll ask quite a few of them. Is she stupid? Nope. Would she get quite a few negative points from annoyed mod authors? Probably. Would she learn? Yes, given the chance.

In response to post #7847001. #7847316, #7869395, #7885437 are all replies on the same post.

@AhvarenI understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. I meant to say that those who take a hostile tone should be reprimanded and - if their negative attitude is taken to an extreme repetitively - punished.You are correct about all of us making mistakes at some point. I am sure that that is very true of myself, and perhaps what I said could come across as overly emotional, hostile, arrogant and snobby. I didn't really think before I posted actually... I was just thinking of how many intentionally ignorant people there are on the Internet who immediately blame others for problems that are simple to fix (often with documentation available to them just as readily as a means with which to complain) if one learns how to do so. Edited by Aticus127