Is ESM-flagging your mod really the only way of fixing the "white bodies" issue?

Roni8501

I've had my mod flagged as an ESM to avoid the bug where new NPCs will appear with the appropriate head texture, but their bodies are white regardless of race. However, I don't see any need for this mod to be an ESM, and I don't want it to be if it doesn't have to. I've seen other mods use .esp and not have this bug, but every single post online just says to use ESMs to fix it (or mentions the bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles=1 .ini tweak for when you have the opposite issue- proper bodies with white faces). Is there really no other way of fixing this?

It's a not a bug that everyone gets but I get it so I esmify them as a quick fix, I'm not aware of any other fix for it. You don't have to do it and many don't, you could leave it off and tell anyone who gets the bug how to fix it themselves, it's only a few clicks in xEdit.

I'm not entirely sure. I actually made some aesthetic edits to vanilla npcs in Oxmod, and I generated body/face textures in the geck. Everything works, and Oxmod is an ESP, but the directory for the textures is actually pointing to the FalloutNV ESM. On some level it seems an ESM has to be involved somewhere.

But Is there any reason for a mod to not be an ESM? Everything about ESPS appears to be negative. Besides character texture issues, Esps treat all references as persistent, causing save bloat, and navmeshes will break if you reload a save mid-session. The bLoad tweak also supposedly causes performance issues, hence why it's not on by default.

Just save a backup of the ESP before you convert it so you don't have to convert it back in the event you want to make an update.

Edited by Radioactivelad

I'm not entirely sure. I actually made some aesthetic edits to vanilla npcs in Oxmod, and I generated body/face textures in the geck. Everything works, and Oxmod is an ESP, but the directory for the textures is actually pointing to the FalloutNV ESM. On some level it seems an ESM has to be involved somewhere.

But Is there any reason for a mod to not be an ESM? Everything about ESPS appears to be negative. Besides character texture issues, Esps treat all references as persistent, causing save bloat, and navmeshes will break if you reload a save mid-session. The bLoad tweak also supposedly causes performance issues, hence why it's not on by default.

Just save a backup of the ESP before you convert it so you don't have to convert it back in the event you want to make an update.

The only reason I don't want to is that in my next mod, I may want to allow some choices to carry-over through a separate, choice-tracking ESM that will be a dependency for both mods. There isn't any technical issue with it, but having two ESMs (plus, I suppose, a third for the next mod) will just bug me. Purely an illogical, "load-order aesthetics" thing. I'll just do it, though- the mismatched bodies will annoy me more than the ESMs.