The Rise and Fall of Videogames

Slaiv

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Already said it was dangerous Tor. And i wasnt trying to start a discussion on politics of ANY country. heck, im a USA man myself, and *I* dont like what our government does... we'd be better off as screaming monkeys.

and yes, nuclear technology is dangerous, and the research into cold fusion is what will be the next big power source, without producing waste. But the step onto nuclear fission was part of that journey. And i'm not referring to anything in particular on other countries. i dont want anything pertaining to politics to continue here, because this is already WAY too far into thread hijacking. (i never shoulda made the comment in the first place. even if it WAS related to science, rather then politics)

but there is already a lot of research into better power sources, but no matter what we do, odds are that more power = more destructiveness... but we learn. And as humans, we all get better and more socialized (most of us anyway... :bleh: ) and we will get better about using science only when it's safe, and to protect against accidents (read: Tragedies) like Chernobyl.

sorry for going OT people... i apologize.

Is it off topic? I think, especially in this day and age, politics is an important part of progress. But maybe this thread should stay within the 'computer-games-world'...

As I said I don't like discussing politics, anyway... It just ends up making me mad! :P

But I just wanted to say that I still play text-adventures, or interactive fiction as they call it today, and I have to admit that I find it just as entertaining as the games with the most modern graphics... I never got to play Zork as a kid, so I've just started on that. Cool thing is that all this good old games are free now. ;)

I'm gonna finally try the Eye of the Beholder series, too!

remember when i mentioned how people still play atari 2800 games?

Yo! Right here! :D

And you're right... politics certainly plays a role in video-games... but probably shouldnt be discussed here... Unless we're referring to some half-assed politician censoring all our video games worse then the ESRB... who are actually pretty lenient! Americans: Remember what Lieberman did (or tried to do... my knowledge isnt THAT great) to video games?

As for creating planets to play a game on, Or total immersion VR? I have only one word to say: Hentai.

Nuff said! *drools* :D

I never said gameplay would die out...... Just that videogames would die. And, I have also explained myself.

Let me clarify - of course there will still be video games. I guess I said it wrong. But I mean, they won't really go anywhere. Once we hit virtual reality, where can we go next? There's really nothing more immersive than VR.... Not really anywhere to go then....

Sure, there will still be people playing games, but, as I have said, they don't have much of a future. Books don't have limitations like games, such as content amount, being able to visually show places and creatures instead of leaving it to the reader's imagination, etc.....

I have only one word to say: Hentai.

Grim, my man - you need help. A lot. ;)

Hey, im quite happy with my life! And the lemon fanfics are real good too!

(One word: Rikku.)

(One more word: Yuffie)

And we're already headed in that direction. Just read a preview for the new 'leisure suit larry' game!

As for limitations, that is exactly WHY video games will keep going. There are always going to be new sciences and new systems being invented, while still maintaining reasonable costs. wait for the Next-gen systems to come out and we can all see that video games will be around forever. we just keep making new systems, that hold more information, and therefore, can display better graphics, contain more 'game' in them, etc.

Games aren't dying any time soon. Yes, graphics are going to eventually reach a limit, where the artist can create exactly what they want. But that's a good thing, since no visual idea, no matter how impossible at the moment, would have to be rejected. And then game companies will no longer have to spend development time and money on the graphics engine, making more of both available for story and gameplay.

Which brings in the second point. Improvements and new additions to gameplay, and especially story, are never going to reach a limit. At least not in the forseeable future. There's always going to be something new to do, or some new world to explore, or some new story to write.

Here is a flash movie about the gaming industry big boys recycling and re-recycling the same video games over and over again, leading to a loss of overall quality. I like it, though the introduction rather boring.

Decline of Video Gaming

Of course, this will never happen. What I mean is that if the gaming industry big boys do what the movie says, then other people will take it upon themselves to release quality video games. As Peregrine said, there are no limits to the inmagination, and there will always be something new.

BTW - Decline of Video Gaming 2 is funnier, but does not quite have the same message.

Archived