Why no text parsers?

greyday01

But besides the input ... That engine has arrays ... which I think could check word combonations . Word A , B , C to unlock , or just respond with said ... ultimate goal so to speak ?

Then I guess need a response to tell that said goal had been achieved ,,, so move on ?

Most of the games are online today, or at least they have some sort of limited online functionality so it would be entirely possible to develop an AI, something like the neural translation AI of Google, and allow game developers to integrate those functions. Just don't re-create Ava from Ex machina.

The major challenges with text parsers and such are player patience, player skill and platform.

Player patience should be obvious. It is easier to click on a response/question than to type it out with the keyboard.

Player skill is somewhat less obvious. If the player can't type or can't spell then a typewritten response system would only frustrate a player.

Platform is easy. Today, most games are developed for multiple platforms, PC, Xbox, PS, and their derivative handheld platforms. Only one of those platforms has a keyboard as part of the package. On the others, a keyboard is a accessory, and game developers are loathe to require a player to purchase additional accessories to play a game.

With these challenges, game makers are not in any rush to make games that players will not play because they are lazy, frustrated or don't have the necessary equipment.

Edit: Voice response systems require microphones. For every platform, microphones are accessories. See Platform comment above.

Edited by ScytheBearer

. You could even have an option to use speech recognition instead of keyboard.

I think this for dialogue input is a killer Idea ! No matter if loose input parser , or picking a dialogue line to say.

Because then the player can just read/speak the line ... but I asked about inflection cuz it seems possible to pick variety that way. (with a voice calibration test prior)

Adding a variable to their response ... which yes of course means more on game file size.

But GB's are no object right ?

@LupinaAlba ooOOoo I like that Idea about the parser tapping the process power from the internet ... but then we talking bandwidth ~ :ninja: ~

The parser would not need to be very bright. If the player input needed was "Give me the letter" having "give" and "letter" anywhere in your input would trigger the correct dialog response. If you also added a swear word you would get a different response. It would just need to check your text string for the needed strings. I don't think you would need to connect to a more powerful parser on the net.

The parser would not need to be very bright. If the player input needed was "Give me the letter" having "give" and "letter" anywhere in your input would trigger the correct dialog response. If you also added a swear word you would get a different response. It would just need to check your text string for the needed strings. I don't think you would need to connect to a more powerful parser on the net.

But if the opening sentence was "I have a letter for you here", how would you -know- that "give me the letter" is the expected response from you? What if they say "then hand it over" or "show it" or "give it to me"? With a near unlimited range of possible responses, a certain amount of "brightness" is very well required of a text parser still.

That's why playing these kinds of text adventures in the past was getting frustrating quite fast, and writing them myself was quickly getting mind numbingly so.

But if the opening sentence was "I have a letter for you here", how would you -know- that "give me the letter" is the expected response from you? What if they say "then hand it over" or "show it" or "give it to me"? With a near unlimited range of possible responses, a certain amount of "brightness" is very well required of a text parser still.

That's why playing these kinds of text adventures in the past was getting frustrating quite fast, and writing them myself was quickly getting mind numbingly so.

Yes ... learning of the correct language so to speak , still an imperative for a dumbed down parser.

Which if it is for the mystery of it ... reading lore/story parts could do that , with certain words emphasized. But a cheat sheet glossary if necessary for the just want to get err done crowd :geek: .

And I'm guessing the OP is not concerned with trying to appeal to the masses ? Just trying to revive an old method for a niche group of gamers?

Which sounds like you're part of the crowd to help do that (or not) :turned: