What computer should I get?

Kurzusseus

how is this? I hope this is wrong because I can't believe how I got this information;

16 gigs of ram
a nvidia geforce gtx 970
1tb hard drive
intel based motherboard
intel cpu
and a 600 watt power supply unit
would that be an excellent computer for running Skyrim on ultra and with high end graphical mods?
And for the explanation on how I got it. I fought with a friend about who knew more about computers
and it turns out he may know more, but he's only 12 and I'm 19...I feel broken, to be beaten by a kid..unless he's wrong of course.
But shameful of my defeat, I've put many years into computers with my uncle, who is an It_tech... I mean I guess its good
if I now have the parts I need but how can a kid be smarter then I when I have studied so much on computers?

I would go with at least an 850 watt power supply. Leaves room for later/future upgrades. Last year, I bought an Asus GTX780 and did some other upgrades. Upgraded my power supply to a Corsair HX850. I have been very happy with the two products. And maybe look into the SSDs, when/if the 1TB SSDs ever come down in price, that will be my next upgrade. They are a significant improvement in speed over traditional hard drives.

And make sure to get a quality monitor to enjoy the upgraded hardware.

Wtf no way this setup needs 850 watts, 600 watt is perfect.

Anyways, that setup is a lot better indeed, which specific CPU does it have? Oh and I wouldn't get frustrated if someone younger than you knows more about PC's, my nephew knows almost as much as I do and he's 14...

Edited by Valkasha

thats depends on the gpu (the 5850 which is ancient) takes a 450w minimum (550w recommended), id say 650w - 750w would be the recommended atleast (got to take into account psu capacitors degrade over time by about 5%) i only went with the 850w as that leaves plenty of room for upgrades/ possibility of Xfire.

do you really need 16gb of ram,true if u can afford it go for it but alittle overkill at the mo,id go with 8gb and put the money saved towards a ssd or hdd upgrade (you can get 3-4tb cheap enough these days)

depends on what intel processor if you dont overclock id say i5 4430,if you over clock id say either the i5 3570k if you dont want to spend too much on a processor or if your willing to spend the cash the i5 4690k

More RAM is better than getting an SSD, 16GB RAM is optimal for Skyrim. Also you don't need a CPU that strong, an old sandy bridge CPU like the 2600 is already overkill for Skyrim, it's the GPU that matters the most.

Edited by Valkasha

Use something like this site to calculate what Power supply you may need. Near Bottom right side , be sure to USE the "capacitor aging" AND select 100% for "system Load"

Just used this to "re-calculate" my system to see if this is in any way accurate...it is ..it recommended a MIN of 995 Watts for me. this is about right I have a 1200 w Corsair. I Calculated my system 3 years ago...added in a bit of overhead as ALL power supply's generate less as they age. ( yes i can pull 700 - 900 watts from my UPS..lol 580's are pigs).

Don't forget to add the Fans, DVD drive, keyboard, mouse , and any other add in cards, like sound.

The test setupI did recommends 540 watts MIN (590 recommended) and this was for ...

A 2600k OC @ 4.8 (Used my CPU as a base but newer CPU may draw less..)

intel board (high end)

GTX 970 <<<<used the card mentioned, as my 580's would skew the results..hahah (man they are power hungry)

16 GB RAM (4X4)

1 SSD

1 HDD

1 DVD drive

2 -120 MM fans

1 140 MM fan

keyboard

mouse

As this recommend a 600 watt i would have gone for a 800 MIN IN case you ever wanted to GO SLI, as adding another card in this config the numbers go to 699 (recommend 749)....

Never ever scrimp on a power supply....

EDIT..PS ...ya the Kid smoked your setup!! :)

Edited by camaro_69_327

ok thanks for the help guys. I got a lot to work with now and i got a few other friends who recommended some powerful setups with links etc.

I think I'm set for now, if I need something cheaper though I think I know who to call.

Can't comment on the kid thing, but the computer will be very good for Skyrim, as most of the game works the video card the hardest. I have run Skyrim on an old socket 775 intel board with an older core2 duo and 4 gigs of DDR 2 ram, the only thing that made it work was an nVidia gtx 660 ti video card, so get the rig with the gtx 970 as it is nVidia's latest tech. By the way, got 57 fps with that rig. So go for it.