I know that GECK hasn't been released yet and I have yet to really get into modding (making mods) but I really want to this time around. I was thinking about the fact that as melee or pistol fighter it feels a bit odd, like...where did riot shields go? Why can't a raider take a bunch of scrap and build a workable shield to use with single hand weapons? I am aware that a shield isn't ideal against gun fighters but a lot more tries to kill you in this world then pistol wielding bad guys. I've been more then once attacked by a melee dick.

So my idea for a Mod is trying to find someway to maybe introduce shields into the game. Is it possible to make a mod that far reaching without screwing the whole thing up? I'm still relatively new to modding and never even once dabbled in really making mods because I feared it would be too much wasted time and effort OR I would just screw up mine and a lot other people's games. If someone would have some advice or thoughts on it I would appreciate it. Since this seems to be close to the Skyrim system I figured the shield wielding ability wouldn't be too far off.

Thanks guys in advance!

Cheers,

Bauldric

So, my hunch was right then that this was a modified version of the Skyrim engine with all the same slots. So once the creation kit comes out I will totally set about working on this (once I figure out how to mod in the first place). If anyone wanted to help me with this I would love help!

My actual goal with this would be to add a shield to all one handed weapons and make them essentially function like shields in Skyrim where instead of being able to aim down the iron sights you now get to block attacks coming in. So, then the other goal would be to make melee combat a little more doable over all for people like me who keep suiciding with melee XD. I think it would be cool and would add a little more of a play style. I think it is completely believable that if you are using a shield you can't really aim your gun that accurately. Also, I think it would be a lot of work to add a aiming and blocking animation without sacrificing a melee swipe with the shield or something like that. Unless we were able to completely code it like Skyrim and just change Q from being a melee attack to blocking and then when you press the trigger while blocking it bashes.

Those are my thought so far, mind you I have no flippin' idea how to even start the coding because the last time I dicked with a making mod for Morrowind back when I first got a semi decent computer.

So, my hunch was right then that this was a modified version of the Skyrim engine with all the same slots. So once the creation kit comes out I will totally set about working on this (once I figure out how to mod in the first place). If anyone wanted to help me with this I would love help!

My actual goal with this would be to add a shield to all one handed weapons and make them essentially function like shields in Skyrim where instead of being able to aim down the iron sights you now get to block attacks coming in. So, then the other goal would be to make melee combat a little more doable over all for people like me who keep suiciding with melee XD. I think it would be cool and would add a little more of a play style. I think it is completely believable that if you are using a shield you can't really aim your gun that accurately. Also, I think it would be a lot of work to add a aiming and blocking animation without sacrificing a melee swipe with the shield or something like that. Unless we were able to completely code it like Skyrim and just change Q from being a melee attack to blocking and then when you press the trigger while blocking it bashes.

Those are my thought so far, mind you I have no flippin' idea how to even start the coding because the last time I dicked with a making mod for Morrowind back when I first got a semi decent computer.

So every weapon will have it own shield? Why not standalone?

• 1 year later...

I recently started trying a melee build and I agree the style is kinda handicapped without the the defense boost a shield would give. So in mutual love of all things shieldy I 'll put in my ideas.

Make shields like they are in skyrim. I.E. they give a boost to your armor-rating and stop projectiles when actively blocking.

-personally, while this is nice, I feel in FO4 we now have the ability to upgrade/modify our equipment in ways that Skyrim(vanilla) doesn't offer. so how about this for an idea.

Shields would intercept/block any projectiles that strikes them, even when not actively blocking. When not actively blocking the shield would be held off to the side leaving the front exposed, and vice versa. You could put in and optional toggle which Allows for hardcore/survival/immersive players to make it that shields don't actually boost overall defense in exchange for giving shields the ability to absorb a set % of Damage.(see below)

Break shields into 3 categories, Light Shields(low quality), Heavy Shields(high quality), and Power Armor Shields.

All shields would have a Bonus to Defense OR Damage Absorption % and a Durability rating similar to power armor. IE the absorption shaves of the Damage, the Durability is reduced by the remaining Damage. also after the shield durability reaches 0, the player would begin to either receive Damage as normal OR the shields remains could still offer a Defense bonus without blocking the leftover damage. Damaged or Broken Shields can be repaired at a Armor Workbench.

Light Shields- weaker shields made from scrap and other improvised lesser materials.

+Low defense or absorb %

+Usually small or medium in size. no more that a real-world equivalent size of 5 square feet. Enough to cover the holding-arm, torso and MAYBE part of the head while blocking.(I imagine eyes peering over the top)

+Can Benefit from some Add-On Mods (Deep pocketed, etc.)

--Only the Shield's Durability can be upgraded via Armor Mods.(i.e. different Lining Mods)

Heavy Shields- Higher quality shields either professionally made or improvised from material designed to truly take a beating.

+Medium to high defense or Absorption %

+potentially up to Tower Shield in size.

+Can Benefit from some Add-On Mods (Deep pocketed, etc.)

+Can Upgrade both Durability AND Defense/Absorb % via Armor Mods

--Either weigh considerably more than there lighter counterparts or can penalize movement speed do to sheer size/weight.

Power Armor Shields- Same features as Light AND Heavy Shields only even more so to the point that they are too large to be wielded without PA. Though Strong and other Super Mutants potentially could anyway. PA Shields can be upgraded/repaired at a Power Armor Station.

Light shields would meant for the early game or for late game players who go for a lighter build. Heavy shields would be meant for late-game. In addition to being purchased from merchants at certain levels: Light shields can be findable on the ground or in certain container and enemy Loot. Heavy Shields would be a rare loot from containers, and loot able from High Level/Legendary Mobs. PA Shields ONLY Loot from defeated PA wearing Enemies. and can only purchased from merchants from one of the main Factions(Brotherhood, Institute, etc.)

Thoughts, Ideas, Criticism?

Edited by Master_karmac

@master_karmac

this is an interesting idea,

and one which I think might integrate well with the VATS Redux mod, and ricochet overhaul mod.

I can see you're a GURPS/FORPG player too then?

Ideally, the shield blocks or imparts increased DR to attacks made against the shielded body part.

so, it's useless if they target an unshielded part ie, the face.

Energy shielding is useless against physical projectiles, or causes the missile type projectiles to collide with an invisible barrier around the player... this represents the 'shield' hacking the guidance or onboards of the incoming missile.

Energy shielding does passive Rad damage to the user while in use, and you will burn through power cells, though also does damage to synth or robot type enemies within a certain radius.

Do not operate energy shielding in conductive environments, such as water or metal.

Melee shields, as in the sword-and-buckler type?

that would be FUN.

or as in the halo/dark forces 'energy shielding'?

you can see it already;

scrap shields, Corvega Hubcap Shield, shopping cart shield, supermutant shields,

toaster-electrified shield, Mr Handy arms shield - buzzsaws, flamethrowers, lazers, it randomly cycles through those.

wasteland crafted shields, legionaire shield, vault-tec riot shield, ballistic/anti-shrapnel shield,

briefcase shield (for the pre-war corporate executive on the go)

meat shield?

then of course, there'd be 'shield upgrades', shield parts packs, and hardpoints.

so, you could integrate the shield with a power-fist glaive, allowing you to fire 2 close range shotgun blasts AND have a medium shield.

perhaps while retaining a small guns in the off hand?

you could put "any shiv any weapon" on your shield - that school desk or briefcase shield?

now, it's covered in +1 pencils or Vault-Tec sporks. close the distance to the enemy,

and laugh as they take 1 or 2 damage per second from the flimsiest shivs known in the post-apocalypse.

hedgehog your way through swarms.

Be like Cap whats-his-face, and hurl your shield at opponents. It may or may not return to you. Sometimes, the best offense is a throwable defense.

Holo-decoy shield, brought to you by the institute. Simply set and forget.

the bright-as-day ballistic riot shield. Sometimes, you just need a 10 000 lumen flashlight to quell that light-sensitive vault dweller...

or act as a giant night light.

you could put slots in the shield so as to catch enemy serrated weapons, with 'barbed flayer' short lengths of wire along the leading edge,

to ensnare an enemy... it disarms them, and it stuns or staggers them.

perhaps for supermutants, the top part of the shield is "the jaws of life", and their shield can rip through enemy power armor or barricades very easily.

that would be DEADLY if you're in t45 armor, which cannot turn or move fast, and which you cannot easily exit...

being able to grapple or counter attack in close combat would make shields a much more awesome part of the game.