Fallout 4 Beginners Guide

gromulos

You are Amazing Kind & Noble Sir, if you can teach me you can teach a Rock! Hell it might even be easier lol. EVERYONE should use this guide xD 4/4 stars

***Second EDIT***

The XEdit/Sort masters fix worked like a charm (i tried that one first ), now proceeding to your merged/bashed patch guide....Hopefully things go smoothly as they have since i started paying more attention while reading & i won't need to bother you over there!

***EDIT***

Apparently I completely missed appendix 1 *Oops* in the wrye section, trying these solutions, will update again with results !

***Original Post***

Ok Following this guide has helped me get to the point i have only One orange .esp which is "TrueStormsFO4-NukaWorld-FH-Compat.esp" But here is where I get stuck. This is what order Wrye tells me to use:

Fallout4.esm 00
DLCNukaworld.esm 01
TrueStormsFO4.esm 02
DLCCoast.esm 04
TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp 03

And all of these Except Fallout.esm are orange

I tried dragging TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp as high up in load order as i could, then with"TrueStormsFO4-NukaWorld-FH-Compat.esp" right under it but this didn't change the orange color. Normally when someone's offering help i'd offer as much info as i can but i can't figure out how to copy & provide the info i get to see from XEdit/Wrye otherwise i'd have included it here.

Edited by ninjamaster0420

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you NEVER move the order of the original vanilla files, you fix the orange mods in Xedit by sorting their masters. Also, no mod should ever be above ANY of the vanilla files, not even a DLC, your order SHOULD look like this, below ( as you can see I made an Edit to the guide to clarify )

Your original game files should ALWAYS be kept in this order, NO EXCEPTIONS, below

2iRBx7.jpg

Any mod that changes the order needs to be fixed using Appendix 1 and Xedit.

Edited by gromulos

The only time it would matter is if a mod you enabled and was testing required another mod or patch, otherwise, no , not really

Here's one i have NEVER been able to fix...my lap top Used to be able to run FO4 on high graphics (Nvidia GTX 660 2gb) But as of this last year it will only play on low...which i'm not complaining about as i see reccomended is 3gb+ But I wonder why the change? i have tried every fix that i could find on the internet to no avail (spent a LOT of time looking & trying fixes), even using Nvidia control panel to force recognize my GPU but still only low. I don't expect a solution as maybe my specs are to low, but i can't get over why it USED to play on high. Man if u had some trick i haven't tried yet..... #Lifesaver xD

Edited by ninjamaster0420

in a situation like that the first thing I would do would be to delete the current drivers and reinstall the driver set that was allowing FO4 to run in high at that time. It can only be 1 of 2 things that caused it and that is 1 of them, the other thing that could have caused it was an update from Bethesda for the game itself. Other than that I would have no clue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello once again, I'm having a CTD when scrolling thru my inventory Only in the 'aid' section, I Think it's happening because of a specific set of food retexture mods i have installed as i can scroll down fine as many times as i want to, but if i scroll back UP only, and only when it's onto one of these food re texture items i get a CTD every time without fail. No matter how many times i re install these mods sometimes the texture is a blank black box/can instead of the item it should be. I guess my question is can a texture mod be deactivated mid game ? Or is there any other way to fix this without re starting my game having uninstalled these mods? ( 1d 7h in ) It's not 'game breaking' to me as I've already learned if i pass up one of these food items i need to consume i close my pipboy and re open but forgetting this can be annoying xD

Hello once again, I'm having a CTD when scrolling thru my inventory Only in the 'aid' section, I Think it's happening because of a specific set of food retexture mods i have installed as i can scroll down fine as many times as i want to, but if i scroll back UP only, and only when it's onto one of these food re texture items i get a CTD every time without fail. No matter how many times i re install these mods sometimes the texture is a blank black box/can instead of the item it should be. I guess my question is can a texture mod be deactivated mid game ? Or is there any other way to fix this without re starting my game having uninstalled these mods? ( 1d 7h in ) It's not 'game breaking' to me as I've already learned if i pass up one of these food items i need to consume i close my pipboy and re open but forgetting this can be annoying xD

you need to report that to the mod author so he can fix it, honestly i wouldn't even begin to know how to fix a very odd crash like that

I seem to remember having the same problem in skyrim any time i tried making Cerwiden's special clam chowder, the fix for me at that time was to reinstall the Cerwiden follower mod manually by manually downloading the zip, opening it, and dragging and dropping all the folders into the Skyrim data folder, after that I never crashed again making her chowder

you need to report that to the mod author so he can fix it, honestly i wouldn't even begin to know how to fix a very odd crash like that

I seem to remember having the same problem in skyrim any time i tried making Cerwiden's special clam chowder, the fix for me at that time was to reinstall the Cerwiden follower mod manually by manually downloading the zip, opening it, and dragging and dropping all the folders into the Skyrim data folder, after that I never crashed again making her chowder

the mod was uploaded in 2015 and updated within a month or two after that, thinking it's bottom priority if not abandoned by the author. I did more research and read that mods like texture mods *CAN* be among the safer type to remove and seeing as the one i'm speaking of had no .esp i deactivated it and this has worked great, no more crashes and the original textures are there so problem solved it seems. Thank you for taking the time to read & respond and i will report it to the author anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

This has been an incredibly helpful post. Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this.

Sorted my first masters today using Wrye Flash. Tomorrow gotta learn how to make a bashed patch out of my 250 plugins and 1 merged patch.

Bookmarking this as reference. Thanks again!