How do i use the 360 controller on PC fallout NV?

ModelV

Like @Sunnie said, just plug it in and it should work. Then go to the settings>controls in the main menu and choose the controller instead of the keyboard. You have to make sure that your controller is plugged in before you start the game or it won't work. Also, if the controller becomes disconnected during your game for whatever reason you may have to restart the the game to use it again; i know this because i had a controller with a bad wire that liked disconnecting every time the controller rumbled.

BTW if you intend to use console commands i'd start the game in KB&M mode, do the commands and then switch to controller mode.

One last piece of advice, if you every intend to use the mod called "Sprint mod" which is Keyboard use only then you should get a program called xPadder. It's a program that lets you map keyboard and mouse keys for use with your 360 controller. You can then make a profile for new vegas and map the run key to work with your controller. I actually mapped the sprint key to my right stick and it works very well that way.

I use an Xbox controller for the PC and there is some driver that needs to be installed (I'm using Vista). It said on the box not to plug the controller before installing the driver so it may not be a bad idea to look into it first.

Also I never had to restart the game if my controller got unplugged while I was playing it. The game simply reverted to keyboard and mouse.

Xpadder is great for many games that don't support a controller (DAO, Oblivion for instance) but FNV works well without it. You can still use the keyboard with some mods that rely on FNVSE by the way (and that's without Xpadder running) but other mods won't work.

@Shantih

Also I never had to restart the game if my controller got unplugged while I was playing it. The game simply reverted to keyboard and mouse.

Re-read what i said. He would have to restart the game to regain controller function. Not to continue playing.

Xpadder is great for many games that don't support a controller (DAO, Oblivion for instance) but FNV works well without it. You can still use the keyboard with some mods that rely on FNVSE by the way (and that's without Xpadder running) but other mods won't work.

Again, please re-read what i said. I said if he were to use the mod "Sprint Mod" that is dependent on the keyboard then he should look into using xpadder. I use xpadder in conjunction with my 360 controller to gain use of "sprint mod" since i obviously wouldn't be able to use it while using the controller. I figured i'd mention it to him because i ran into the problem a long time ago of wanting to use that mod and couldn't because i preferred 360 controls over kb&m. Now i can use both.

As for other keyboard using mods that can be used at the same time as using a controller, i have no idea about that, i defer to your experience with such mods. I was specifically talking about that singular mod.

@ Sunnie

I have a wired 360 controller that I use on both my Vista and Win 7 PCs, never needed to install any drivers on either. I do believe there's some driver needed only if it's a wireless controller.

That's true about the wireless controller. I think it installs drivers for the PC wireless receiver device that is needed to use the wireless controller.

I used xpadder for the Project Nevada keyboard shortcuts. Also, since I'm using a PS3 controller (my ps3 came with a wired charger, my 360 didn't) I use a program called DS3 tool to get it recognized as a 360 controller, since most PC games support a 360 controller as game pad but not the PS3 controller.