Lost Grimoire 2.0 - Development thread

steelfeathers

im perma it *seems* to work fine (it shows a debug message when sneak damage is triggered so i'm quite sure)

the only disadvantage is that it's quite underpowered when using a channeled spell such as sparks/flames

Edited by ownlyme

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of moving spells to a completely different mod, why not just get rid of the broken spells, fix the spells that just need a little tweaking, and release it as an update to Lost Grimoire 1.0? I've been enjoying most of the spells presented in it, and would hate to lose them to a different mod I have no interest in getting.

Instead of moving spells to a completely different mod, why not just get rid of the broken spells, fix the spells that just need a little tweaking, and release it as an update to Lost Grimoire 1.0? I've been enjoying most of the spells presented in it, and would hate to lose them to a different mod I have no interest in getting.

That's what I'm doing. It's not a new esp file. Although I am getting rid of some of the broken or unbalanced spells. If you don't like the changes, you don't have to ungrade to 2.0, although I won't be supporting earlier versions.

Edited by steelfeathers

1. maybe a spell that deals more damage (+30%?) when crouched but additionally decreases your movement speed in that stance

2. a spell ward that acts like a shield? (timed block etc)

3. a rune that attracts enemies in a huge radius (for stealth characters, so possibly high cast range)

4. summon rain of fire/ice/healing (for 5-10s in an area of 10-20m) at target location

5. slow field (maybe combined with point 4)

6. flamestrike (like p.4 but reduced radius and duration) ... ignites enemies?

7. set people on fire ^.^

8. hypnosis spell that lets a witness forget a crime they observed

9. hypnosis to make npcs sleep?

10. shockwave that knocks back all enemies around you

(11. give a target npc a debuff on his sneak level so he has a harder time detecting you)

12. a rune that freezes an enemy

(13. a field that stops enemies from casting spells)

14. your dying summoned creatures explode

15. black hole or portal that sucks enemies in

just brainstorming.. i hope this inspires you cause i'm really looking forward to ver. 2.0 or even 1.5 with the sneak damage mechanic removed ;)

Edited by ownlyme

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking forward to Lost Grimoire 2.0. The new spells and changes are shaping up well. I wrote up a long post on your mod page in regards to an earlier version of Lost Grimoire and figured I could provide some feedback on your current changes and additions.

ALTERATION:

Novice:

• Unlock > Cast at a locked door or container to unlock it. Stronger locks require a higher Alteration level to open. - This spell was really good in your older version. My only recommendations for this are that you don't let this work on locks that can only be unlocked with a key, and that this is normally not a silent spell. This way it doesn't totally overshadow other lockpicking options.
  • Wither > Drains 10 magicka and stamina per second for 20 sec. - I like the change you made to this spell but I think that 10 magicka and stamina is a little strong for a novice spell which doesn't even account for anything that boost magnitude since it will end up draining 200 magicka and stamina total. Maybe lower the duration?

Apprentice:

• Corrosion > Reduces the effectiveness of weapons and armor by 30% for 30 sec. Deals 2 points of damage per sec to automatons. - This change is great.
  • Time Loop > Traps the target in a time loop for 20 sec. Every 5 sec, the target is teleported back to their starting location. - Looking forward to trying this new spell.
  • Unstable Transformation > Transforms the target into a random creature for 30 sec or until they take damage. - Will this spell be resisted by any actors? I ask because this was really strong against any enemy that could conjure minions as it worked on the minions themselves.

Expert:

• Levitation > Concentrate to rise into the air. - I am curious as to how this spell has changed since the previous version.

CONJURATION:
Novice:

• Conjure Cursed Shade > Conjures a weak shade for 60 seconds. When destroyed, a curse is applied to the killer that decreases all skills by 10 points for 60 sec.
  • Conjure Will-O-The-Wisp > Conjures a fragile Wisp for 60 sec that explodes when hit, engulfing nearby opponents in mystical flames. - I like both of these new novice summons. Definitely adds a later of strategy to playing. Curious to know if the effect these have on enemies stacks as then they would be kind of strong.

Apprentice:

• Sacrificial Offering > If the target is killed by one of your summoned or raised creatures within 60 sec, that creature is restored to full health. - At first I thought that this was pretty strong due to the 60 sec duration but you could always just resummon your minion so I find this to be a nice spell to add.

Adept:

• Conjure Spectral Staff > Summons a powerful staff from Oblivion for 120 sec. - Is this going to be any different than before?
  • Crystal Locus > Creates a Crystal Locus for 120 sec. While in range, the crystal drains magicka from nearby hostiles and funnels it to you. - Another spell I am looking forward to.

Master:

• Dark Crystal > Store part of your soul in a black soul gem, gaining immortality at the cost of 25 HP. The crystal will shatter after 1 resurrection. - I remember having issues with this working properly in your previous version. Did you remake this spell?
  • Oblivion Gate > Opens a portal to Oblivion for 3 min that will randomly spawn friendly atronachs and daedra. Only 1 portal can be open at a time. - This spell sounds amazing. I hope that you will also have a similar one for necromancers as well.

ILLUSION:
Novice:

• Blind > Blinds the target for 60 sec. - Does this spell pretty much make enemies blind like the Falmers?
  • Disorient > Disorients the target for 30 sec, giving them a 20% chance to stagger. - I like the update to this as the original spell was too good.
  • Phantom Sound > Creates a burst of sound at the target location. - Looking forward to using this but I am curious as to how the spell works differently than the Lucky Rabbit spell.

Apprentice:

• Alluring Whispers > Concentrate to lure the target towards you. Does not work on targets who are in combat. - Cool spell. Already thinking of good ways to use this.
  • Seduce > People of the opposite sex below level 9 will ally with you for 30 sec. Effect breaks if attacked by the player. - Does the level for this spell increase with magnitude?

Adept:

• Inner Demon > The target is attacked by their demonic mirror image for 30 sec. - This would be a very, very useful spell. I think that you should only be able to have 1 in battle at a time though.
  • Psychic Snare > Creatures a people below level 15 will be enthralled to your will and follow you for 120 sec. - Is this the Bend Will spell renamed?
  • Shadow Form > Fade into shadow, making it more difficult for opponents to pinpoint you. For 30 sec, incoming attacks and spells have a 15% chance to miss. - I am definitely looking forward to using this. Illusion has very little buff spells.
  • Haunting Lullaby > Concentrate to send the target into a deep sleep for up to 120 sec. Only works on people. - Do the people actually go into the sleep animation on the floor with this?

Master:

• Mark of Doom > The target is marked for death and attacked by everyone nearby for 30 sec. - This spell sounds awesome. Are there any limitations on this? Do you have to get close to the enemy to make this work as I see this to be potentially overpowered.
  • Enthrall > The target becomes a permanent ally of the player, and can become a follower. - I always thought that this spell was too good in your previous version as all you just needed to cast the spell to put the target on your team. Was wondering if any changes were made.

RESTORATION:

Novice:

• Delayed Healing > Heals the caster 100 points after a 15 sec delay. - This new novice spell fits well. :smile:

Apprentice:

• Lifebloom > For 60 sec, you regain 10 HP every time you take damage. - Interesting change to the original spell and can certainly be useful.

Adept:

• Cleanse > Cures all diseases and stops the effects of poison. - I feel that this spell does too much at the level you can get it. At 40 restoration you pretty much invalidate diseases and poisons without being a vampire or werewolf. Maybe have it cure poison at adept level and you "unlock" the cure disease effect once you have expert level restoration skill.
  • Split Lifeforce > Cast on a living target to pool your remaining health percentage with theirs and split the result. - This is a nice addition especially if it works on both allies and enemies.

I like a lot of your new spells and changes. I also agree with others that there should be some poison and disease spells for restoration. Perhaps you can add some conditions to the magic effect to avoid infinite stacking. I do have some ideas for spells but I am not sure if too much scripting is needed or not. Below are few of my ideas.

1.) Life Burst - Cast a spell on an enemy who has less than full hp. For 10 sec they absorb 5 health/sec of any living creature within 10ft. If they reach full health, they take damage equal to 150% of the health they recuperated and the effect wears off.

2.) Battle Fatigue - Hostile enemy in battle gains a 10% damage boost, 50% stamina regeneration and 10% movement boost for 15 sec. At the end of the duration the target falls over and magic/stamina drop to 0.

3.) Gamble - Ritual Cast - Must be cast in battle. Until the end of battle receive one random negative effect: 50% maximum hp reduction, fatigued (cannot regenerate stamina, 0 stamina), Silenced (cannot cast any spells), or weapons and armor are 50% less effective. Each enemy you kill while gamble is in effect has gold equal to 5 times their level.

Let me know what you think.

• 1 month later...

Is the thread still alive? Curses and poisons are all good for restoration but I'll like to see more sun damage spells. Currently sun damage spell mods out there are pretty basic, with only small modifications made to the existing spells and generally have very bad scaling.

Soul Bolt (Adept): Fires a light bolt that deals 5% current HP as sun damage to all targets or heals allies for twice the same amount.

Blinding Light (Master): After channeling, the caster releases a blinding flash 25ft around him that causes hostile actors to miss 30% of their attacks.

Holy Ground (Expert): After channeling, the caster blesses the ground 25ft around him with holy magic for 20 seconds, burning all enemies for 20 sun damage per second. The caster regenerates one thirds of the damage dealt.

Hi steelfeathers,

thanks for your continued work at your mod. Enjoyed playing with it a lot.

I hope this is the right place to suggest changes to existing spells:

Lingering Cold always felt a bit overpowered, especially on high health enemies such as dragons.

The combination of super fast projectile and stacking (?) frost resistance reduction, made me kill dragons (and everything else) just too easy.

This is in comparison to other apprentice frost spells.

• 1 month later...